Can't seem to make a nice lead sound without the fizz

Thanks again Yek.
Did I mention you're a nice person? ;)

I think I've found what I'm looking for.
I find that after installing firmware updates that include some major changes especially to the amps section, I have to change the way I tweak the amps.
I found out that sometimes it's best to start from scratch and try and try again.
It's very hard to find the right way. So now I try to save as many versions as I can whenever changing something. This way I can compare and maybe see where I went wrong.
I think I've gotten where I wanted to be and this is what I had to do:
- add a GEQ before the amp with a "frown" curve"
- HF to 2.52
- a lot less presence
- in the PEQ use the trick to filter the annoying frequency
- in the cab add AIR around 70-75% - 1500-200Khz
I've found all these tips on the forum.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

MisterE said:
I've tried every amp model and lots of cab/mike combinations, including the RedWirez but I just can't seem to find a sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seMS86yoWYg

I've tried with lo gain amps with the master volume cranked as I thought this would give me the cleanest sound with natural compression from the power amp tubes. No go.
Hi gain amps start to fizz too soon. I've use the PEQ trick. No go.

I sure could use some pointers here.

Thanks.

Please post a clip or preset .syx file that has the "fizz" problem so we can hear it for ourselves.

Everybody's ears and tastes are different. For me what works at the moment is as follows:

PEQ after Amp Block and before Cab block

- Band 1 & 5 no change (flat)

- Band 2
Freq @ 2521
Q @ 5.0
Gain @ -8.13

- Band 3
Freq @ 3369
Q @ 5.0
Gain @ -12

- Band 4
Freq @ 5700
Q @ 5.0
Gain @ -12

I also use another PEQ at the end of the signal chain set as follows:
- Band 1
Blocking @ 129 Hz
Q @ 0.707

- Band 2
Freq @331
Q @ 0.707
Gain @ 1.32

- Band 3
Freq @ 671
Q @ 1.414
Gain @ 1.23

- Band 4
Freq @ 1386
Q @ 1.414
Gain @ 1.98

- Band 5
Blocking @ 8226
Q @ 0.707

With all due respect.. you'll get a much better response from forum members on this type of question/issue if you simply attach a .syx file to your post.
As soon as I see a list of settings like that, I bypass the post.
Why? Most of us do not have the time (or inclination) to enter all those parameters by hand - and think of how much time YOU spent typing all that in, then double-checking it for accuracy, etc. :eek:

With an attached patch... it's so-o-o-o much simpler and quicker.

thanks

joegold,

It's hard to attach a file because I'v tried lots of combinations.
But I'm quite pleased with the last one.
It works for both a Strat and a guitar with humbuckers.
It's striking how much cleaner and less fizzy the sound with the Strat is compared to the guitar with humbuckers.
I'll post the file as soon as possible.

MisterE said:
joegold,

It's hard to attach a file because I'v tried lots of combinations.
But I'm quite pleased with the last one.
It works for both a Strat and a guitar with humbuckers.
It's striking how much cleaner and less fizzy the sound with the Strat is compared to the guitar with humbuckers.
I'll post the file as soon as possible.

Post *one* file that has the "fizz" and then maybe some of us can help you to edit it.
If it turns out to only have "fizz" on your system then maybe you might need to replace some of your components in order to get optimal results with the Axe.
If it sounds fizzy on everyone's system then maybe we can make some suggestions how to tame it.

If you wan´t Blackmore sound I think a good way is the treble booster in front of the plexi 1. I had som great Blackmore sound that way.
I also think hi used to do like that some times. Don´t know about the flanger or chorus he is using . I guess it is put on in the controlroom afterwards.
I have used a red wire cab named greenback 2'12 with a u47 a couple of inches away .

Thomas

s0c9 said:
With all due respect.. you'll get a much better response from forum members on this type of question/issue if you simply attach a .syx file to your post.
As soon as I see a list of settings like that, I bypass the post.
Why? Most of us do not have the time (or inclination) to enter all those parameters by hand - and think of how much time YOU spent typing all that in, then double-checking it for accuracy, etc. :eek:

With an attached patch... it's so-o-o-o much simpler and quicker.

thanks

I assume you mean my post. Wasn't looking for any response quite frankly. Just putting my 2 cents in towards a possible solution to the OPs issue. Point taken though , however, the setting that I have that uses this is a bit of a work in progress and would not be of any particular use to anybody in its present state.

MisterE said:
I've got the Ultra. I haven't tried the MBC yet. I always used the PEQ with the last band set to about 5000 - 6000Hz.
What frequency range should I be looking at?

...and you're using 'Blocking' instead of 'Shelving' right?

Check the amp bright switch (under the treble knob) - is it on? if so, what value is the bright cap at (advanced amp settings)? the range is 0.1 to 10. Most amp defaults at 0.1.

I tend to keep it below 0.15.

If I set it too high (e.g. 1.0), the higher frequencies in my pick attacks are brought out and makes my tone sound messier (than it already is)

This is where I'm at now.
I thought it sounded ok.
Until I just tried it.
The mp3 is a simple A-chord. First two with a Warmoth Strat with Kinman Woodstock set. The last with a Kramer with SD JB.
It has a digital sound to me and is too harsh.
When I tried to find a sound in the beginning when a had the Axe-fx - about two years now - it was easy to find a sound.
Now I find it a lot harder to dial in and it always sounds to harsh.

MisterE said:
This is where I'm at now.
I thought it sounded ok.
Until I just tried it.
The mp3 is a simple A-chord. First two with a Warmoth Strat with Kinman Woodstock set. The last with a Kramer with SD JB.
It has a digital sound to me and is too harsh.
When I tried to find a sound in the beginning when a had the Axe-fx - about two years now - it was easy to find a sound.
Now I find it a lot harder to dial in and it always sounds to harsh.

Lower the HF Resonance parameter to 2.5 to get the sound of the older firmware.
The current default for all the amp sims is 5.0.

Ingo said:
Just listened to your clip. This sounds *harsh* to you? If anything, it lacks presence, IMO...

Totally.

Well, actually, I thought his clip sounded fine the way it was. But, I completely agree that it definitely does not sound harsh. I'm starting to think that you're over analyzing it. Sounds fine to me.

Just goes to show how different everybody's ears are. I played at low and high volume and definitely sounds like it lacks presence at low volume but sounds pretty good at higher volumes, to me anyway.

Hi MisterE
I cant listen to the clip now coz im at work atm but I had faced issues with harshness etc when I would tweak the axe in isolation of any reference guitar tones - if left by myself in a room with the axe, I would create these patches that I thought were good, untill I compared it with stuff on CD's - mine were always too harsh/bright.....

If you have a "target" sound you're looking for, can you tell us the song, or better yet, provide a clip from the song? then everybody will understand your target sound and help you out more instead of debating if its "too harsh" or not.

Cheers

JJunkie,

the sound I'm after is in the clip at the beginning of this post.

I've added some presence and it's better.
One stupid thing.
I was testing the Axe-FX through the rear inputs by using a sine wave abd pink noise just to make sure there was nothing wrong with it.
That checked out fine. But I left the input on "rear". That's why I lowered the presence because, when changing to front input, I needed to add some presence.
I do use cd tracks or backing tracks to see how it fits because sometimes what sounds good on its own doesn't sound good when playing together with other instruments and vica versa.

MisterE said:
JJunkie,

the sound I'm after is in the clip at the beginning of this post.

ahhh... I must have some japanese blood in me - have habit of reading starting from the end of the post - sorry dude

Back
Top Bottom