Cant nail this Tone

lwknives

Power User
hi,

I am trying to get the sound in this recording. I am wanting to figure out how to get the swell sounds at around 1:20 and then the guitar parts that are around 1:50 and 2:14 and throughout the song.
I think the swells are some sort of modulated delay but I'm not getting the same sound.
Is the guitar just a chorus? How do I get a chorus to sound like that?
Here is the recording:

I think the swells are some sort of modulated delay but I'm not getting the same sound.
Is the guitar just a chorus? How do I get a chorus to sound like that?

We play the Kari Jobe version of this song at my church. What version of AFX II do you have? You can give this preset a shot made on an AFX II Mark I. Might be the wrong amp for the tone you're going for, but the way the effects are laid out might be helpful:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ambient-quantum-dr-z-38-strymon-cloud-reverb-style.105770/

Mainly what you may want for that heavy reverb is a MLTDLY > CHORUS > REVERB in parallel (100% mix) to your signal chain to add the Strymon BigSky "chime". I am willing to bet that the Torwalt band guitarist has Strymon effects. Try out the above preset and let me know how it works out for ya.

I agree that there is probably a Big Sky and a Timeline on that recording.

Listening to the isolated tracks, my best guess is that the base tone is a drive pedal into a Fender-style amp. So I use a Timmy + Klon (real world, not in the Axe, sorry) into the Deluxe Verb Vib model. I'm sure the FAS Boost, Esoteric ACB, or Fulldrive will get you close.

When the more ambient parts kick in, I also have a dual delay (parallel 1/4 and 1/8) with lots of feedback going into a dark tape delay (dot 1/8), going into a subtle MultiDelay Plex Detune in parallel (which is itself feeding a reverb block set to Deep Space). I've got modulation happening on both delay blocks and the reverb block.

New awesome Strymon patches in preset thread by a member w a name that begins w "Java" ... Awesome patches ... Search/look for it. He offers 3 versions

New awesome Strymon patches in preset thread by a member w a name that begins w "Java" ... Awesome patches ... Search/look for it. He offers 3 versions

@javajunkie is who you're referencing. Links to his preset contributions here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/strymon-bigsky-style-verb.77739/#post-950881

FWIW - the presets in my link above leverage the same philosophy for ambient style reverb effects. @simeon has a bunch of awesome symphonic ambience as well.

All of these help with the ambient swells but what about the bass tone through the rest of the song? I'm hearing something special on the left guitar. It sounds like some sort of modulation but I can't get it.

I'm hearing something special on the left guitar.

Do you have a specific time in the YouTube clip that you're referencing? And are you referencing how powerful the electric sounds coming out of the chorus' of the tune? Trying to zone in on what you're looking for.

In songs like this I usually add a pedal to control the amount of the parallel effects have something like 30% [toe-up] > 100% [toe-down]. Are you talking about like 2:40/2:52-57 where the heavier guitar stands out? You could try the Brit800 amp with a factory 4x12 cab and a ZenDrive/T808 [drive 2-4] pedal out in front.

i just hear a lot of modulation and verb/delay. i'll put some phones on later and try and iso but nothing is just jumping out at me as unique...never has really. i've probably played this song 1000 times, lol.

i just hear a lot of modulation and verb/delay. i'll put some phones on later and try and iso but nothing is just jumping out at me as unique...never has really. i've probably played this song 1000 times, lol.
What rate and depth are you running your modulation? Are you using a seperat block for mod or just the delay and verb mod?
I'm getting a Needtobreathe vibe from this song more than contemporary PW.

i usually just bump the modulation in either the verb or delay...depending on what i'm trying to do. i rarely build out long complicated parallel chains for this stuff. not saying my way is right or better, i just think you hit diminishing returns at some point.

that is the beauty of the Axe, though....there's about 100 ways to come at it. (or that makes it a rabbit hole, you be the judge, lol)

I agree that there is probably a Big Sky and a Timeline on that recording.

Listening to the isolated tracks, my best guess is that the base tone is a drive pedal into a Fender-style amp. So I use a Timmy + Klon (real world, not in the Axe, sorry) into the Deluxe Verb Vib model. I'm sure the FAS Boost, Esoteric ACB, or Fulldrive will get you close.

When the more ambient parts kick in, I also have a dual delay (parallel 1/4 and 1/8) with lots of feedback going into a dark tape delay (dot 1/8), going into a subtle MultiDelay Plex Detune in parallel (which is itself feeding a reverb block set to Deep Space). I've got modulation happening on both delay blocks and the reverb block.

Wow, can I see that patch?

Back
Top Bottom