can't install usb driver on laptop

Greetings, just received my Axe-Fx II and have successfully installed the usb driver and axe edit on my home computer but keep getting error 105's on my laptop. I'm running Win 7/64 on a Dell studio XPS with i7 processor. I've tried numerous know good usb cables including the one I use with my working home pc install so I can safely rule that out. Also usb works fine with other audio periferals-VG99 Motu 896 etc... Laptop is usb 2.0.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can fix windows error 105 by following steps:
Step 1. Update the application driver.
Step 2. Update Windows 7 patches.
Step 3. Clean up system registry.

Appreciate all the advice but no solution as of yet. Tried an uninstall/reinstall, updated Win7, cleaned registry and every other remedy offered but still no luck. As previously mentioned all other usb audio drivers/peripherals load and work fine. This is becoming increasingly frustrating as I'm frequently on the road and find editing near impossible editing via front panel, not to mention updating and backup. Hope some one can offer me a workable solution. Really wish Fractal had an actual product support forum.

Really wish Fractal had an actual product support forum.
They do... you're in it!
They are a small boutique company and you will find the owner (Cliff) posting here quite regularly. Support team does not - as with most other forums.

Yet I still don't have a solution to my problem. Not to beleaguer the point but this isn't a product support forum and as far as I know(correct me if I'm wrong) there isn't one. Again if you have any specifics to help I'd be most appreciative.

Are the laptop USB ports known to work with anything else ?

I know you mention it is working with other audio peripherals but through the same ports ?

The reason I am suggesting this, AXE FX works fine into your Home PC. You are using a known good USB cable, maybe just maybe there is a possible hardware fault with the laptop if all other hardware and software issues are ruled out. Possible motherboard issue, have you also tried Dell ?

Last edited:
There's no fault in the laptop, usb cable or mobo. It's a software issue. When the Axe is plugged in it's recognized it as "unknown device". The driver won't load as indicated by the error 105. As previously mentioned I've tried all the offered suggestions with no success. Again if anyone can advise it would be appreciated.

After innumerable uninstall/re installs, deleting fas files, registry files etc I finally got it working. Not sure exactly what changed but finally the frustration is over. Wish I knew what it was so I could share but its a mystery. Regardless, I still find it curious why all other usb audio drivers install without issue on my laptop yet the Fractal was such a problem.

After innumerable uninstall/re installs, deleting fas files, registry files etc I finally got it working. Not sure exactly what changed but finally the frustration is over. Wish I knew what it was so I could share but its a mystery. Regardless, I still find it curious why all other usb audio drivers install without issue on my laptop yet the Fractal was such a problem.
Glad to hear you have it working... Did you follow installation instructions on when to install which pieces, and when to power on the Axe-II, etc. ??

Back
Top Bottom