Can't get VU meters to 0 without clipping Out 2 - What am I missing?

guitarjim

Experienced
Finally got a chance to install FW17 and I'm trying the VU leveling. I'm working with my clean presets and I can't get the amp level close to the zero mark without clipping on Out 2 and I can't find where I might have Out 2 boosted, so I know I'm missing something. According to the VU meters, Out 2 is about 10db stronger than Out 1.

Here's where I've looked so far.

Global Menu

Each EQ frequency is set identically between Out 1 and Out 2.
Both gains are set identically at -1.98

IO / Audio Menu

Out 1 and Out 2 both set to 0db pad

IO / Input Menu

Input 1 and Input 2 both set to 40%

On the preset

All levels and balances set to zero. Main set to 5db.

Where else should I be looking? I've been away from my Axe for a few months due to neck surgery. I must be forgetting something obvious.

Thanks for the help.

How are you getting signal to Out 2? FX Loop block in the preset, or Output 2 Echo? If using FXL, are there any blocks after that point affecting Out 1 only? Did you check level controls on both FXL pages? Keep in mind FXL main level slider is per scene, like the Output 1 mixer main level.

How are you getting signal to Out 2? FX Loop block in the preset, or Output 2 Echo? If using FXL, are there any blocks after that point affecting Out 1 only? Did you check level controls on both FXL pages? Keep in mind FXL main level slider is per scene, like the Output 1 mixer main level.

Sorry, should have specified that. It's Output 2 echo. My setup is not complicated, as compared to many. I run Output 1 to FOH and Output 2 to my Atomic. I run mono. No complicated gymnastics involved. Thanks for helping.

Is this 17.03 or an earlier firmware? I don't know of any bugs related to this but it wouldn't hurt to try 17.03 if not on it already. I'm getting the same meter values using Out 2 Echo here w/ 17.03.

Do you have a pedal or switch assigned to Out 1 Volume but not Out 2 Volume, or DAW software that might be sending a CC to the Axe?

Is this 17.03 or an earlier firmware? I don't know of any bugs related to this but it wouldn't hurt to try 17.03 if not on it already. I'm getting the same meter values using Out 2 Echo here w/ 17.03.

Do you have a pedal or switch assigned to Out 1 Volume but not Out 2 Volume, or DAW software that might be sending a CC to the Axe?

Bakerman... YOU THE MAN!!!

I think that was it. I have the knob of a TT Mission Pro on my pedalboard assigned to Out 1. When I crank that hard right, it seems to bring everything into balance. I'll work through my presets with it cranked. Jeez, I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that. Been away too long.

Thanks for letting me get some sleep tonight. I would have been up all night trying to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom