Can't Get This Sound Out of My Head

phillyjacobs

Hello hello, first time long time, etc. etc.

I was taking a stroll around the lake yesterday and a fabulous sound came into my head: its a delay where the repeats start to distort & fall apart. Like the repeats start disintegrating. I'm kind of thinking like a mix between that crazy feedback delay thing Steph Carpenter does in My Own Summer's 2nd verse, and Ed's oscillation at the end of Karma Police - without tipping over into the feedback loop.

I am now in pursuit of this sound. I have the awesome power of the FM3 in my hands, which delay would you use to get this sound? I'm thinking one of the flavors of tape echo. In fact, I was reading a thread last night where a user said the Tape Delays didn't do a random modulation to the repeats & basically got Cliff to create an old tape delay model.

What say you, brave tone warriors? Is it possible? Do I need to do some crazy running something into an insert loop of a delay? Let me hear you sound off.

Hi PJ,

You might want to consider a parallel path for the delay so that the echoes can then go into a bit destroyer or some other filter leaving the original signal untouched. That can get you a fair of the way there.

Best,

Alex

Agreed!

Running a parallel delay into a bit crusher or some other form of distortion would definitely do it. You could easily use an expression pedal to control the blend of the distortion, or perhaps some fancy use of the ASDR controller if you wanted to automate things.

Back
Top Bottom