Can't get that throaty Wah sound I'm looking for.

Roadrunner

Power User
I'm trying to get the Wah block as deep / throaty / wide I can, a good example is JP Wah pedal which has a very deep / wide frequency travel.

Curious to hear your ideas / Wah block example.

Thanks.

Lower the frequencies, the low cut & up the resonance parameters to taste.
You don’t want too much frequency sweep between the low & the highs imo. And the resonance will give you more of a deeper wider eq peak thru the sweep.
If you listen to Satriani he uses two different Wah’s, a lower one and a regular Vox, the lower one sounds to me like it goes down around 180Hz to 2000kHz, somewhere in there. Resonance around 6-7 is pretty Wah-ish. (Btw, this is all from my head, I’m not by the AxeFX right now). Too much Resonance gets a bit overbearing, but turn it way down and it disappears.

Last edited:
Could you add a filter block set to peak and boost bass. Attach gain for the filter block to the same expression pedal as the wha? Heel down more gain toe down less.

Not all analog ones, i'm referring only to DUNLOP DCR-2SR rack version.
It has a very huge wah which im trying to create on the Axe nd it looks like im there more or less with the "Colorsound".
The DCR-2SR is two effects in one: a wah and a graphic EQ. Drop a GEQ block after the wah, and see how throaty you can get. :)

The DCR-2SR is two effects in one: a wah and a graphic EQ. Drop a GEQ block after the wah, and see how throaty you can get. :)
Hmmmm sounds interesting, how would you set the G-e.q?
Should it be engaged together with the wah?
Any specific frequencies?
Thanks.

Hmmmm sounds interesting, how would you set the G-e.q?
Should it be engaged together with the wah?
Any specific frequencies?
That's pretty much your call. The DCR-2SR has a six-band EQ, centered at 100 Hz, 200 Hz, 400 Hz, 800 Hz, 1.6 KHz and 3.2 Khz. Throatiness will live somewhere between 200 Hz and 1 KHz, depending on how you define it. You might be able to achieve what you want with a single peaking filter.

Back
Top Bottom