can't get s/pdif working with focusrite 18i/8

Hmm weird…I know this doesn’t help you now, but I had a Saffire DSP Pro 24 for years using Mix Control and SPDIF worked great. Are you on Apple or Windows? Does your PC sound card have a SPDIF connection? Maybe it’s time to contact Focusrite support. I have always found them to be very helpful and prompt.

my m/b does support spdif but only optical. My experience with focusrite support has not been good.

FWIW I never got S/PDIF to work on my 2nd Gen 18i20 and the AX8. Tried everything I could think of and what fellow forumers suggested... Upgraded to a 3rd Gen and got it running smoothly right out of the box. Hope it's not your case but something was not OK on some units from previous generations when going S/PDIF.

my m/b does support spdif but only optical. My experience with focusrite support has not been good.
Optical or Coax = the same thing in regards to SPDIF.

If you’re on Windows try disabling your PC sound adapter. I only say this because I don’t take anything for granite when it comes to Windows. That’s coming from a long time Windows DAW user. Also, as @frankencat is getting at, it seems like something else is trying to control the audio and sample rate.

FWIW I never got S/PDIF to work on my 2nd Gen 18i20 and the AX8. Tried everything I could think of and what fellow forumers suggested... Upgraded to a 3rd Gen and got it running smoothly right out of the box. Hope it's not your case but something was not OK on some units from previous generations when going S/PDIF.
Oh wow, that sucks to know. Sort of explains all the generation upgrades.

1646689655407.png

In your pic the Sync Source says "Internal" which is not correct. Try and set it to to whatever input the SPDIF port is connected to.

Full disclosure, the reason I had to upgrade from my Saffire was because Focusrite stopped supporting the FireWire drivers. Although this was partially to do with Windows and their IEEE 1394 support in Win 10 update and Win 11. Anyway I bitched to Focusrite and got 50% off a 3rd gen Scarlett for my troubles. I had to jump through a few hoops sending the Saffire back, but they paid for all shipping and it was able to be done in the states. If there really is an inherent issue it might be worth being a squeaky wheel.

Sorry bud, I got nothing else. It may be time to upgrade. ;)
Or speak with the people who design and manufacture the 18i8 and have probably dealt with this issue many times before. Other than it being a combined issue with the FM3’s SPDIF implementation (which I wouldn’t think so) a definitive answer should be easily obtained.

i thought i posted this already (maybe another thread) but my focusrite is a gen 1 and i've had some blue screen issues with it in the past so I decided to purchase a Presonus Studio 68c audio interface. Hopefully I'll have better luck with it and better latency with the USB-C and more modern/faster internal processing.

well the 68c is a disaster too. Reaper doesn't recognize any of the 10 asio drivers it installs. (Why does it install 10???)

Reaper gives me this error:

There was an error opening the audio hardware

Attachments

• presonus.png
    presonus.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 4
well the 68c is a disaster too. Reaper doesn't recognize any of the 10 asio drivers it installs. (Why does it install 10???)

Reaper gives me this error:

There was an error opening the audio hardware
Uninstall everything. During the install it probably had a choice to do a “custom” install. Choose that and within that it probably lets you tick what you want and don’t want.

Is this the free version of Reaper? Personally, if you want to get serious about recording I would dump it. In meantime you should have gotten a lite version of Presonus Studo Live. Give that a whirl. I personally use Cubase Elements. Plenty of feature in that version for not much $$.

I think you’re using Windows, what version of Windows are you using? Including update revision. It is 64bit?

Oh make sure all other un needed drivers are uninstalled. Focusrite, etc. just to eliminate possible conflicts.

Edit
Did it do a restart after installation? I have been noticing even though many things no longer need a reboot in Win 11 there are things that do and sometime the restart doesn’t happen.

Last edited:
Uninstall everything. During the install it probably had a choice to do a “custom” install. Choose that and within that it probably lets you tick what you want and don’t want.

Is this the free version of Reaper? Personally, if you want to get serious about recording I would dump it. In meantime you should have gotten a lite version of Presonus Studo Live. Give that a whirl. I personally use Cubase Elements. Plenty of feature in that version for not much $$.

I think you’re using Windows, what version of Windows are you using? Including update revision. It is 64bit?

Oh make sure all other un needed drivers are uninstalled. Focusrite, etc. just to eliminate possible conflicts.
i've uninstalled and reinstalled 3x now. It's not reaper. Tons of pros are using reaper. I've been using it for years with no issue. The asio driver config page crashes in band in a box too. It's clearly not installing correctly or working with my win 10.0.19043 (64 bit)

I've never been a fan of presonus or their drivers. They farm them out to contractors and there's always been QC problems. This corroborates that.

Edit
Did it do a restart after installation? I have been noticing even though many things no longer need a reboot in Win 11 there are things that do and sometime the restart doesn’t happen.
and I reinstalled but only selected the audiobox usb driver (they don't show specifically which ASIO drivers they are installing) and windows doesn't see the playback device. Who knows which one is the windows playback device. I'm sorry but this is JUNK.

i've uninstalled and reinstalled 3x now. It's not reaper. Tons of pros are using reaper. I've been using it for years with no issue. The asio driver config page crashes in band in a box too. It's clearly not installing correctly or working with my win 10.0.19043 (64 bit)

I've never been a fan of presonus or their drivers. They farm them out to contractors and there's always been QC problems. This corroborates that.
Yeah, I wouldn’t went with Presonus personally. As far as pros using reaper well that may be true, but pros also know how or pay someone to fix shit. Windows is an ever changing platform and I like stability. Good luck.

Yeah, I wouldn’t went with Presonus personally. As far as pros using reaper well that may be true, but pros also know how or pay someone to fix shit. Windows is an ever changing platform and I like stability. Good luck.

so i heard back from someone on the reaper forum who advised to use the Studio USB driver. That worked in terms of reaper and BIAB not crashing but with 48khz and clock source set to s/pdif on the presonus i'm getting horrible distortion and dropout, no matter where the output levels are on the FM3

and i've never had to pay someone to setup my audio system before.

boxed up the presonus, ordered the gen 3 focusrite 8i6... Hopefully the S/PDIF issues are not caused by the fm3 itself. This will be the 3rd audio device I've tried it on...

Back
Top Bottom