can't get s/pdif working with focusrite 18i/8

jzucker

Experienced
is there a cable length limit? I'm using a 30' cable. Supposedly s/pdif works out to 10m so I should be good. I have SPDIF out Source set to output 2 but am getting nothing on my focusrite either in reaper or in my monitoring app

FM3 does not have to be clock master. But, the sample rate does have to be set to 48 on the Focusrite. Otherwise, it just acts like the input isn't there.

I don‘t have a focusrite interface, i have a UAD Apollo. This have a SRC (Sample Rate Converter) so the interface can still be master and the FM3 is running free without sync problems. But i don’t think that the Focusrite have such a SRC onboard.
So FM3 must be „Master“ (only 48KHz possible) and the interface set to „Slave“ at 48KHz, otherwise you will get clicks and pops, because of an unsynced audiostream. The FM3 has no ability to feed it with an external Wordclock signal or to sync it with a digital input to be run as slave!
If both clocks are nearly stable, you can possibly run it without problems for some time, but im sure there will be crackles some time!

I got it working with a 10' cable but it sounds awful. I had to set sample rate to 48kz and sync source to S/PDIF for it to work. It also works with the 30' cable with the sample rate and sync source set correctly.

I tried a quick recording with the 10' cable...

However, to get any kind of levels I have to have out 2 maxed. The results are not at all pleasing. I need to do some more tests but it seems I was getting better results from the XLRs...

Also, the focusrite interface makes it really cumbersome to change the sample rate. You cannot do it from the focusrite scarlett mixcontrol app. You have to right click on the sound icon in the taskbar and go to settings and change it there. Unfortunately, you can't change the sync source from there so you have to go back to the scarlett mixcontrol to do that. AND, on power up, it defaults back to 44khz.

Additionally, i don't see a way to send SPDIF input to any of the outputs from the mix control so I'm unable to hear what I'm playing through the audio interface.

I don‘t have a focusrite interface, i have a UAD Apollo. This have a SRC (Sample Rate Converter) so the interface can still be master and the FM3 is running free without sync problems. But i don’t think that the Focusrite have such a SRC onboard.
So FM3 must be „Master“ (only 48KHz possible) and the interface set to „Slave“ at 48KHz, otherwise you will get clicks and pops, because of an unsynced audiostream. The FM3 has no ability to feed it with an external Wordclock signal or to sync it with a digital input to be run as slave!
If both clocks are nearly stable, you can possibly run it without problems for some time, but im sure there will be crackles some time!
focusrite only has SPDF/ADAT/Internal as sync options

Its absolute normal to max the out level knob (i use out 1) for the s/pdif, because you like to use the full 24Bit word lenght of the audio stream!
Maybe there is a newer/better driver for your interface available?

Its absolute normal to max the out level knob (i use out 1) for the s/pdif, because you like to use the full 24Bit word lenght of the audio stream!
Maybe there is a newer/better driver for your interface available?
i'm using the latest driver. I wouldn't think a driver would have anything to do with levels though...

What Generation 18i8 do you have? I see you say you’re using “Mix Control”. If you have the 3rd Gen. 18i8 the software is just called “Focusrite Control” and all the changes can be done from the control software. You have to open the Left Device Panel. On page 30-32 of the Control Software manual is the setup explanation. When switching the digital inputs the unit must be power cycled. It should stay at 48kHz.

If you don’t have the 3rd Gen this info may be incorrect.

Hi Jack! hope you are well my friend. :)

Here is how I do it on my FM3 into my Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2. Just click on the settings icon in Focusrite Control and it opens the Sync menu.
1646684202121.png

1646684653703.png

I am running a 6ft Monster SPDIF cable and it sounds amazing. Maybe try another cable if you continue to have problems.

All the best,
Frank

Attachments

• 1646684246215.png
    1646684246215.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 14
I have generation 1 so it doesn't have spdif in the mixcontrol. Anyway, this has been a total disaster. It keeps resetting back to 44.1khz and then of course, the Spdif is no longer seen. Something's not right here because the quality of signal is way better with the XLRs so i've switched back to analog for the time being. Maybe I need to upgrade to a generation 3 focusrite although with digital, I'd think it's either there or it's not...

1646686633917.png

Jack, do you have another app running that is using the SPDIF? If so try closing all of those apps and see if you can set it that way. I had an issue a while back with Studio One where it wanted to control the sample rate until I was able to set it up in the audio setting of the app for the project. It was a pita lol. Hopefully it is that simple.

Jack, do you have another app running that is using the SPDIF? If so try closing all of those apps and see if you can set it that way. I had an issue a while back with Studio One where it wanted to control the sample rate until I was able to set it up in the audio setting of the app for the project. It was a pita lol. Hopefully it is that simple.

no, i've never used SPDIF before so there's nothing else configured to use SPDIF. The only thing I configured for SPDIF was reaper. I did have to uncheck the reaper option to request a specific sample rate because that was definitely changing the focusrite driver back to 44.1khz. But it seems that no matter how you set it, it still defaults to 44.1khz on reboot or power up. Just turning the interface off and on resets the sample rate regardless of how it was last set. Hopefully later revisions fix this but i've been very unimpressed with focusrite drivers and support so if I replace the 18i8, i'm not sure i'd go back to focusrite. Not sure what I'd replace it with though.

Hmm weird…I know this doesn’t help you now, but I had a Saffire DSP Pro 24 for years using Mix Control and SPDIF worked great. Are you on Apple or Windows? Does your PC sound card have a SPDIF connection? Maybe it’s time to contact Focusrite support. I have always found them to be very helpful and prompt.

FWIW I have had virtually no issues with the newer version 18i8. I have a few other interfaces but I keep this one attached because it is the most stable. I'm sure what you are saying is valid though and I wish I could think of something else to help you. If I do I will post it here or shoot you an email. Also I can loan you one of mine if you just want to try something different. Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom