Can your AXEFX nail the MkIV sound?

Okay, I'll play. Yes.

And, through 76 cabs, 1,600 Ultra Res IRs, and...

•20+ Drive Pedal models
•Dozens of Delays including analog, digital, tape, multitap and more
•19 Reverb types
•Tone Match
•Totally customizable Wah with its own models
•Whammy
•Fixed and Intelligent Harmony
•Shimmer, Crystals, etc.
•Phaser & Uni-Vibe
•Flanger and Chorus
•Panner/Tremolo
•Rotary Speaker
•7 Filter types
•Graphic & Param. EQs
•Compressor (pedal, studio, and multiband)
•Limitier/Gate
•Front-end Noise Gate
•Mono Guitar Synth
•Built in Looper
•New "true" Tape Echo
•Vocoder

I want one bad but the MKIV I has a complicated lead tone. So how about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned but a Mark IV and Mark V in the past, and yes, the Axe FX II will nail the Mark IV lead tone. And it is modeled with different push/pulls engaged, so you have several different lead tone sims, ie. US Lead, US Lead+. US Lead BRT, and US LEAD BRT+. Plus the Clean channel is there as well as channel 2. You will also have a bunch of Mesa Triaxis modes in there as well. To nail YOUR specific tone, you will want to shoot and IR(Impulse Response) of your cabinet, or get a quality IR of the same cabinet made by the main 3 companies making IRs right now. They would be FAS, Ownhammer, and The Amp Factory. That's not to say there isn't fantastic free impulses out there, but if you want the quickest and easiest way to quality IRs, I would just buy some quality ones. If you are using a 4x12 mesa, FAS just released a Ultrares Pack 4 with Cliff's Boogie in there(Cliff's Lead 80), and I'm sure it sounds even better than the Hires which kills. If you are rocking a 1x12, which would be a c90, the Amp Factory just released that in there pack. Or if you have the EVM 12-L, there is one of those too in the factory cabinets. Actually, all 3 of these cabs can be found in the factory cabinets, 2 of them Redwirez and one FAS I believe. Hopefully my rambling can be of some help. Good luck.

And, through 76 cabs, 1,600 Ultra Res IRs, and...

Ok, forgive me cuz I'm kind of new and my AXE hasn't arrived yet, but what is the difference between an IR and a Cabinet model? I've been living with the understanding that an IR WAS a cabinet model. Is there more to it than that? Feel free to point me to where I can do homework on this. I would love to understand the whole IR thing better... because I don't.

an IR is an "Impulse Response" - basically a recording of the cabinet which can be made into a cab model in the axe.

so you might have a ton of IRs on a computer or something, but haven't put it into one of the user slots to use as a cab model.

Yah, what Chris said. There are a very large number of factory cab blocks and then you can load IRs (UltraRes being a new FAS developed format) into user cabs. The number is different IRs available is staggering, due to the number drivers, cabinets, microphones, mic positions, and power amps used to shoot the IRs. Those that are shot with raw data in a .wav format and are longer than 170ms long can be converted with Cab Lab into UltraRes format. There is nothing wrong with the stock included speaker cabs, but if you are a tinkerer or explorer you can open a huge window of opportunity and discovery…or drive yourself crazy sperimentin. A revelation to many here, is just how significant IRs are to the tone of your Axe-FX presets. This device is more like a magic tool box, than a single tool. Every time you root around in it, you find more great stuff. It can be as simple as throwing together a amp cab rig, or you dig deep into the crafting a complex tone sculpting factory…rig. It's all in how you want to use it.

Last edited:
As Pinkycramps is .... so am I, that being a Axe Noob, although I've been gleaning a lot of good stuff from this forum from a lot of the veterans, one "major" question I have regarding IR's is this:
If I'm using a Matrix NL212 or a NL12, should I be using IR's that are captured using a 2x12 cabinet, or a 1x12 cabinet (respectively) ????? , so in other words, am I more apt to get a sound that's not very appealing using a 1x12 IR with a 4x12 physical cab, etc.???

I know that with the Axe FX you can do anything if it sounds good to you...but I'm asking this question "generally speaking".

My apologies, Cropduster ... as I'm sorry for a bit of a high-jacking of your thread..but the opportunity arose to possibly get a long standing question of mine answered here??

I'm probably in the minority here but, I don't want the Axe to sound just like another amp, I want it to sound different and better. I have a mark v and it is what it is. I look at the Fractal as a sandbox of tone that I can use to create something totally new.
It seems like most people want it to sound just like something else that already exists.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

I'm probably in the minority here but, I don't want the Axe to sound just like another amp, I want it to sound different and better. I have a mark v and it is what it is. I look at the Fractal as a sandbox of tone that I can use to create something totally new.
It seems like most people want it to sound just like something else that already exists.

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

You are not alone.

I want it to sound like my other amps so I can sell them and buy this. Then have the options to follow my bliss...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had played ONLY Mesa/Boogie amps since 1987 and was completely happy with my tone... until the AxeFxII. And now I play every amp (model) BUT the Mesas. Go figure. I notice people are attached to their "amp" and want it to sound the same, but that was limiting for me (and I am an Amp-Agorophobe and never used to leave the comfort zone of my Mesas). I now spend more time playing amps I would never have tried had it not been for the AxeFxII.

Can your MkIV nail the MkII sound?

I speak of course of the AxeFXII MkII.....;)

EDIT: Please tell me that this is not the first time that this has been done.

As Pinkycramps is .... so am I, that being a Axe Noob, although I've been gleaning a lot of good stuff from this forum from a lot of the veterans, one "major" question I have regarding IR's is this:
If I'm using a Matrix NL212 or a NL12, should I be using IR's that are captured using a 2x12 cabinet, or a 1x12 cabinet (respectively) ????? , so in other words, am I more apt to get a sound that's not very appealing using a 1x12 IR with a 4x12 physical cab, etc.???

I know that with the Axe FX you can do anything if it sounds good to you...but I'm asking this question "generally speaking".

My apologies, Cropduster ... as I'm sorry for a bit of a high-jacking of your thread..but the opportunity arose to possibly get a long standing question of mine answered here??

no, the purpose of "frfr" cabs is for you to be able to reproduce everything from a 1x8 to a 4x12 with as much accuracy as is possible right now...you are not limited in any way whatsoever.

Can it do a reasonable facsimile of most of the Mk IV? Yes, it can. Is it *exactly* the same when using a cab sim and a full range monitor? No. It gets close and I personally prefer it, but some people don't. Especially those that have found *their* sound and wish to attain it in a more convenient package. There just is a difference in the way a full range cab projects its sound, they don't all sound the same either, overlaying their characteristics on the tone and cab sim you're using and not all power amplifiers are built to the same standard. Expect needing some time to adjust.
Ok, forgive me cuz I'm kind of new and my AXE hasn't arrived yet, but what is the difference between an IR and a Cabinet model? I've been living with the understanding that an IR WAS a cabinet model.
IRs are impulse responses. Main uses of these are as room simulations, ie convolution reverbs (anything from bathrooms to cathedrals, actually every sound can serve as a convolution IR, someone made an IR of his fart). However, in our neck of the music woods we are mainly concerned with simulation of smaller boxes with acoustic characteristics: guitar cabinets. So, no, IRs are not just cab sims, but for all intents and purposes in this here place, they are. I think the purpose of mentioning them like this was to stress the difference between ordinary and UltraRes UR cab sims and how many of those are available already. Although prior to UR there were more than 76 cab sims. So I don't really get that either.
The NL series are guitar cabs, not full range flat response (FRFR), just very lightweight and somewhat wider bandwidth than ordinary. When playing guitar cabs you usually don't use cab sims since you'd be layering one cab sound over the other essentially adding them up. It could get ugly. However, it doesn't always and if it sounds good you could use them and indeed some people do. And you can definitely put a 4x12cab sim through a 1x10'' speaker if it sounds good. No rules.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom