Can you Split Pedal 1 output signal of TRS to 2 TS for a Wah exp AND a Volume Pedal?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Header states it all? I do not have a secondary expression pedal at moment, not the Y split cable to do so. Thus why asking before I get into trouble with things. Thanks!

PROBLEM SOLVED: I Bought a used Dunlop 535Q wah today for $96 out the door. Easy work around and still keeps things small. Have not wired up yet, but I will follow up as soon as I do.

Last edited:
Nope. An expression pedal needs three connections to operate. So two pedals require six connections. With some fancy wiring, you might be able to get away with four connections if the two signals share their hot and ground connections.

It's not as simple as "add Y cable, unlock extra pedal item in menus" but two pedals could control different things via one pedal port, with some limitations compared to using two ports.

An expression pedal with a mimimum volume/value knob that has a range roughly 0-50% would be the right thing electrically; you'd just need that min. vol. pot to be the expression pot in a separate pedal. I think two similar pedals with min. volume knobs at 50% and 0% (or no min. adjustment) might also work but I'm not sure if the cabling would need to be a TRS to 2x TRS splitter or something else.

The answer is yes with a caveat.

1. Volume and wah at the same time for some reason, sure assign the expression to both.

2. Volume or wah in the same preset, yep you just can't use auto engage functions. Assign expression to both blocks and then use a switch to toggle the bypass states of each block to be the opposite of each other. The caveat is the volume block is bypassed you would revert to max volume setting.

Personally, I'm not a fan of volume pedals and prefer to use scenes to control rhythm vs lead volume with the expression dedicated to wah or whammy effects based on needs.

The answer is yes with a caveat.
The question was whether two pedals could connect to one Pedal port with a Y cable and control different things, not just switching the function of one pedal.

Also it is possible to have the wah auto-engage, but you need to use a different method than a bypass modifier to route signal through or around the block, a multiplexer after a parallel wah & shunt for example.

The question was whether two pedals could connect to one Pedal port with a Y cable and control different things, not just switching the function of one pedal.

No, the question was "Can you Split Pedal 1 output signal of TRS to 2 TS for a Wah exp AND a Volume Pedal"

The answer is, you functionally can do that without the split but...why? I presume he/she wants to be able to control volume sometimes and wah sometimes. Where one can, with my posted caveat. So if the volume is used more for a fade in effect, this technique works. If one is trying to ride volume for rhythm vs leads, nope (and IMHO better to do that with fixed volume level using scenes). Here's an example:

Last edited:
Depends on what OP is trying to achieve. Two expression pedals on one physical port, no. Two functions with one expression pedal, yes.

Two expression pedals on one physical port, no.
I assumed the question was about this, since a TRS to 2xTS Y cable was mentioned. You can do other switching stuff to have one pedal control different things at different times, but the question didn't seem to be about that.

No, two pedals can't connect to one pedal port with a Y cable and act like two pedals connected to two separate pedal ports. But in theory, what I described in post #3 could sort of be made to do that, with certain limitations.

No, two pedals can't connect to one pedal port with a Y cable and act like two pedals

Ah yes, for sure. I took it differently. Since it is extremely unlikely one is trying to manipulate both pedals simultaneously in my head there are easy work arounds. But I can totally see where someone with a different workflow might be stuck.

Back
Top Bottom