Can you run the Axe through output 2 only?

I am looking at running into my Ultra and then out to my amp which has two separate channels with two different input jacks. I was wondering if I can use the Axe to effectively switch between the two inputs?

So output 1 Axe > input 1 of amp
and output 2 Axe > input 2 of amp

This would mean though that when using output 2 I would use the Effect loop function to send the signal to this output, but I would not want any signal going to output 1, so I terminate the signal chain before it reaches output 1. However what I want to know is, is this safe to do so?

Last edited:

Safe in the sense that I read in the manual output 1 is the main output for the unit and maybe it needs to always have a signal running through it? I don't want to electrically damage the unit by having no signal go through output 1 and all of the signal go through output 2. Safe in that sense, if that makes sense?? :)

Of course you can do it. I play a bi-amp setup this way and sometimes only turn on one of the outputs - so: no problem :encouragement:

Safe in the sense that I read in the manual output 1 is the main output for the unit and maybe it needs to always have a signal running through it? I don't want to electrically damage the unit by having no signal go through output 1 and all of the signal go through output 2. Safe in that sense, if that makes sense?? :)

It's not a tube amp which can be damaged by disconnecting the speaker cable. :)

Worst case scenario is that both output 1 connections will complain loudly because they feel left out.

running a line output into an instrument input might be a bit hairy though....i'd be prepared for some pretty healthy overload...

that's for units that have an amplifier in it... like a guitar amp.

a unit like the axe-fx and most other fx-units don't have an amp and the signal coming out isn't and amplified signal, so yes, you can run only out of out 2 no problem. you can leave the unit on with nothing in the output jacks forever if you wanted.

running a line output into an instrument input might be a bit hairy though....i'd be prepared for some pretty healthy overload...

Its fine to run either one of the outputs into the front of an amp. The Axe is only getting input from the guitar and you just have to watch the input and output levels. Otherwise I haven't had any issues with running it that way.

Back
Top Bottom