Can you Fix Output 1 at a preset level?

mwd

Power User
We use backing tracks in a hybrid band and utilize 2 Axe III’s. Volume levels are super critical for balance since some sources are pre mixed. We use 50% for our reference volume on Output 1. Is there a way to lock the volume at that level so knob has no impact.

I believe S/PDIF out has a fixed volume level that's unaffected by any of the hardware knobs. Might be an option.

We use backing tracks in a hybrid band and utilize 2 Axe III’s. Volume levels are super critical for balance since some sources are pre mixed. We use 50% for our reference volume on Output 1. Is there a way to lock the volume at that level so knob has no impact.
A good set of pliers will work to remove the knob.

I’d start with:
  • gaffer’s tape over the knob to keep it at a fixed position.
  • carefully leveling all the presets.
You don’t say how you mix the signals. If you feed the backing track into the FX3 unit(s) via one of the Input blocks then I’d add that block’s Input level to the global Performance block, along with the level control for the Output blocks so there’s easy and convenient access to them from one spot. Adjust them during a practice and store them and you should be able to switch presets and have the volumes consistent and probably won’t need to adjust them later. At least that’s the general plan.

Backing track goes into an X32 mixer as do the 2 Axe III's. We do level the presets carefully. Sometimes the knobs get bumped a bit. I usually calibrate to 50% each practice.

Backing track goes into an X32 mixer as do the 2 Axe III's. We do level the presets carefully. Sometimes the knobs get bumped a bit. I usually calibrate to 50% each practice.
if the x32 is always there, just turn the output knob all the way up, and adjust the input gain on the x32 channels. i do this and usually have my x32 channel gain from 0 dB to maybe 5 or so.

You could max the physical knob then use the Global Graphic’s gain/level to bring it down.
Excellent idea -why did I never think of that?
I always preferred Out1 at max due to the repeatability of the setting, but our mixer doesn't have true line level input so even with gain at zero, it comes in a tad hot.
This will solve that problem for me.

if the x32 is always there, just turn the output knob all the way up, and adjust the input gain on the x32 channels. i do this and usually have my x32 channel gain from 0 dB to maybe 5 or so.
I wonder how (or where) our gain staging differs? Both my fader and input trim on the X32 are at unity with Axe Output 1 at 50%.

you could create a sync block test tone to calibrate your AxeFx output to the console fader for consistency.

I wonder how (or where) our gain staging differs? Both my fader and input trim on the X32 are at unity with Axe Output 1 at 50%.
Are you using XLR inputs or 1/4” on the x32?

What levels do you get on the x32 channel meter with your settings?

Even if the axe fx output si set to -10dBv?
No, but it is more complicated than that. If I run Out1 at max value and -10 dBV, I have less internal headroom before the DA conversion compared to if I choose +4 dBu and reduce Out1 such that the output is the same. This is because Out1 knob controls digital scaling before the DA converter. The gain slider in the Output EQ would do exactly the same job.

I demonstrated this difference in this post https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...know-about-levels-iii-fm3.168584/post-2026199 - Before I discovered this I always had issues with my acoustic sim presets that would clip the DA conversion when level was all the way up (when the preset where level matched to standard electric guitar presets). Acoustic sims (or a piezo pickup) just has tremendous dynamic range.

So - the point is - now, I can turn Out1 back up to max and then just reduce the gain slider in Out1 EQ by the same amount. That will make it much easier for me to always get back to the same level live.

I use XLR inputs and target -18 dbfs
I see. Not sure what Unity is on the channel gain (12 o clock?) but there’s no reason to put that higher if it means turning the Axe down. Especially if you’re trying to park the out knob at a repeatable level.

Try turning the Axe all the way up and dropping the channel gain. You’ll get less mic preamp influence that way and will still have a strong level. At most gigs my channel gain on various mixers is almost all the way down because the axe sends more than enough signal. Tone is full and strong.

you could create a sync block test tone to calibrate your AxeFx output to the console fader for consistency.
So I found pink noise in the synth block and it triggers when hitting the strings. Is there another block or setting that would self generate a steady test tone?

Back
Top Bottom