Can you figure how to achieve this delay effect?

Miscreant

Inspired
Alright, so my question can be broken up into two parts.

The first part is this: using the delay block, I'm trying to achieve something that should be pretty simple but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. With the delay time set to 1 (i.e. a full beat), I want the delay to repeat twice and then stop, but with no decrease in the volume of both delay repeats. I can't seem to do that, as the second delay is always quieter than the first. I've played with ducker attenuation, mix levels, parallel effect lines, etc., but I can't seem to figure it out.

The second part of my question is this: say that I'm playing a 4 bar pattern in 4/4. In the first three bars I'm playing 1/4 notes, then I play one note on the first beat of bar 4. I want my 1-beat delay to only 'sound' on that last note. I don't want it to 'clutter' up my playing in the first three bars. Is there a way that I can configure the delay such that it's 'interrupted' by my playing signal, and only 'activated' once I stop playing (i.e. on the first beat of bar four?).

And yeah, whatever the answer to the first and second parts of my question, obviously I want to combine them into one delay effect configuration :)

What about two delays in parallel, one quarter note and one half note?

And use a ducking delay.

Mmm...splain more please? I've been trying to use ducking, but frankly I don't quite get how to use it to achieve my desired effects. Is that essentially the tool that one uses if one wants to 'cut off' the delay effect until there's no more signal being fed (i.e., when I'm only sustaining a note, not playing more of them)?

And yeah...I've been playing with two delays in parallel, but still...nuttin.

One delay block in dual mode can do that if you just need mono delay. Set delays to quarter & half, no feedback, pan them center or wherever you want.

Yeah, I would be looking at 2 delays too. Ducking delay *may* work for you, but the ducking is usually on the output of the delay, and I think you want to be switching the input (of the delay). Maybe set up an IA as a momentary (un)bypass of the delay for that last beat. You might want to do it with a mix block so that when you let go of the switch the delays will still continue. Haven't done this with the axe so I am just speculating, and yeah there might be a little trap dancing involved but the results will be cleanest.

Very sleep deprived right now, so I'm not sure I expressed this clearly.

Part 1: What Bakerman said. You're looking for two delays—not fed-back delays—so the dual delay is a natural choice.

Part 2: The ducker is your friend. Its whole purpose is to turn down the delay while you're still playing, so your playing doesn't get cluttered up.

I use a Delay that I tie the Mix and Feedback to a Expression Pedal for one of my Original Songs that Repeats in time with the Song 3 Times after I play the chord.
So I roll the Pedal forward before I hit the Note. After the 3rd Echo, I roll the Pedal back.
Mine is a Panned Ping-Pong Delay. So my Note is Stereo, then Left - Right - Left.
But the main idea is the Delay Mix and Feedback tied to an expression pedal.

I have Feedback going from 10% to 50% and Mix from 5% to 25%

I uploaded the Patch I am speaking of so you can try it out.
Hope that helps.
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=858

Last edited:
for the first part of your question... can't you just use the Rhythm Tap Delay ?

I'd recommend trying 1 dual delay block w/ ducking first. Rhythm tap wouldn't really be any better for this, and it doesn't have ducking or true tap-tempo ability.

edit: Actually there's one problem with ducking. The half-note repeat of the 2nd to last note will sound if you stop the last note on the next beat. 2 delays in series might be needed to make it work, unless you want to take the footswitch approach.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom