Can We Stop Calling It A Home Studio?

I just wanted to start a discussion regarding the nomenclature and also say that we can just abbreviate.
Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

When I think of the word/term, "Studio" in a music recording context, I automatically think that the guy running the sh*t knows what he's doing a whole lot more than my novice-hacky skills. :dizzy:

Last edited:
Apparently

it doesn’t tell you anything other than what person thinks of their studio. A lot of pro studios have full kitchens and sleeping accommodations as well.

Hans Zimmer's studio is probably one of the most elaborate studios in the world, but it would be considered a "home studio" by the traditional definition. The idea that a home studio can't be a pro studio, or that a pro studio can't be a home studio has become a anachronism. The two are no longer mutually exclusive.

Hans Zimmer's studio is probably one of the most elaborate studios in the world, but it would be considered a "home studio" by the traditional definition. The idea that a home studio can't be a pro studio, or that a pro studio can't be a home studio has become an anachronism. The two are no longer mutually exclusive.
Indeed!

I think acoustic treatment isn’t a must have if your work primarily with synths or other “in the box” instruments such as doing scoring using big sample libraries etc.

If you have a decent set of headphones and know how it transfers to other systems you don’t even “need” so called “studio monitors”……

Heck, one could go as far as to say if your using a modeler with cab sims, the room your playing in still doesn’t matter, nor does having a bunch of fancy mics, outboard gear etc

Probably could argue most traditional studio equipment is more for show than anything…..

I don’t want to walk into a guys spare bedroom and see a laptop and set of headphones but you could do pro work there…..

If I’m paying a few hundred dollars an hour I want lots of wall treatment, expensive speakers, 6 foot racks of outboard gear, wall of amp heads etc…..

Even if we end up just plugging a FM3 into a laptop over USB lol

Well to each his own-I always have and always will refer to my home studio as a , well, home studio.
1. It is IN MY HOME, so I am 50% there!
2. I record music there. I play music there. I write music there.
The whole idea, imho, of calling it a home studio is basically saying, No I do NOT make $$$ doing this and I only record myself.
If I made a living or even some money doing this I would call it recording Studio in my home.

Well to each his own-I always have and always will refer to my home studio as a , well, home studio.
1. It is IN MY HOME, so I am 50% there!
2. I record music there. I play music there. I write music there.
The whole idea, imho, of calling it a home studio is basically saying, No I do NOT make $$$ doing this and I only record myself.
If I made a living or even some money doing this I would call it recording Studio in my home.
I get it but why do you even need to make that distinction, are you worried someone will think you’re a pro engineer? .

Also, many professional voice actors and other recording artist record in a home studio, so the label isn’t indicative of being an amateur or professional.

Besides, a painter or a sculptor doesn’t call their space of creation a home studio, they refer to it as their studio.

It seems I missed the train on this cataloguing, naming & all.
Anyways, what's the consensus on "studio" and the penalties for misuse? (context: I'm in Canada - Bill C-63 is real )

It seems I missed the train on this cataloguing, naming & all.
Anyways, what's the consensus on "studio" and the penalties for misuse? (context: I'm in Canada - Bill C-63 is real )
Call it whatever you feel is appropriate. I don’t think a recoding needs to have a prefix of home studio, it seems superfluous.

The fact there’s a recording or production of music is all that’s important to me. The only thing that want to know is how something was recorded or produced if I really dig it.

But I am just one person and these are my opinions.

If in doubt, give it a posertest:
  • IF saying("home studio") = Feels Like a Poser
  • THEN say("music room")
  • ELSE
  • PROCEED with caution.

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with the term "home studio"...that's what I use, and that's mostly what I call it.

There's a big difference between people who put flavor-of-the-month nearfields on a desk not even pointed at their ears and people who actually put thought and some work into getting the setup to do what they need it to do for whatever they're trying to accomplish. But, I don't think any of the available terms really capture that difference. Everyone has a different interpretation.

I've heard a lot of really good indie music that was made entirely in a home studio, and I've heard absolute junk recorded in high-end studios. In theory, the work speaks for itself.

Back
Top Bottom