Can We Stop Calling It A Home Studio?

wesleyamltd

Inspired
I think that with ubiquity of affordable DAWs, interfaces and every other facet of the recording industry accessible to most, then it could be assumed that most recordings 9/10 times would have been recorded in a non traditional studio environment.

So unless the production was recorded in a traditional studio from the times of yore, in which you’ll state the name of that studio…then let’s just call our home studios, “the studio or studio”

And if you’re into Phil Collins, “Stew, Stew, Stewdo!”

Last edited:
These days, that adjective serves only to indicate whether a studio has sleeping accommodations, but it doesn't really tell you much about the recording facilities.

How about you call it whatever you want and don't sweat so much what others call it? Then we're all happy.
Came here to basically say a more direct version of this, so kudos for making it a little less “aggressive” 😅

My words would have been as follows: who cares?

saturday night live comedy GIF

"Studio" suggests some significant physical aspects to me - ie:
  • pro accoustic treatment of some sort on walls / in corners.
  • isolation of some sort from unwanted external sources.
  • Isolation zones for vocals and / or cabs and / or drums ... + an isolated control room.
  • Ability to remote mic cab sounds.
  • A selection of available instruments.
  • A selection of available mics.
  • A system of enabling isolated monitoring for recording artists.
  • Room designs and building materials selected based on a recording studio's functional requirements.
Given the absence
of many such physical aspects in my home, I prefer to use the terms "Music room" or "Guitar room" even tho, at least in the case of recording guitars using IRs, pro level sounds could be achieved in my ill equipped (compared to a true "studio") basement music room since this could be done completely within the digital realm.

Last edited:
It used to be that the differences between a quality pro studio and other home/project studios was not only the quality of the gear used, but also the acoustics/monitoring, along with the skills of the staff. While the gear delta between quality pro studio and other home/project studios has changed a lot, generally speaking the acoustics/monitoring and skill of the staff has not.

That said, with the ability to make convincing recording direct via modelers and sampling instruments, the need for an acoustically treated recording areas has diminished, though not the need for acoustically treated monitoring areas.

That said, headphone solutions such as Slate's VSX are improving all the time, so one day going forward...

Last edited:
Came here to basically say a more direct version of this, so kudos for making it a little less “aggressive” 😅

My words would have been as follows: who cares?
Apparently
These days, that adjective serves only to indicate whether a studio has sleeping accommodations, but it doesn't really tell you much about the recording facilities.
it doesn’t tell you anything other than what person thinks of their studio. A lot of pro studios have full kitchens and sleeping accommodations as well.

• Isolation zones for vocals and / or cabs and / or drums ... + an isolated control room.
  • A system of enabling isolated monitoring for recordin artists.
Given the absence
of many such physical aspects in my home, I prefer to use the terms "Music room" or "Guitar room" even tho, at least in the case of recording guitars using IRs, pro level sounds could be achieved in my ill equipped (compared to a true "studio") basement music room since this could be done completely within the digital realm.
^THIS^

To me, at a bare minimum, a "recording studio" has had acoustic treatment to control unwanted frequencies and reflections, and isolation from outside noise both physical and EMI. If I walked into what someone told me was a "recording studio" and it didn't have that basic treatment I'd be very skeptical.

A room full of electronic and acoustic instruments, amplifiers, speakers and mics is also known as the bedroom for a musician. :)

• A system of enabling isolated monitoring for recordin artists.
Given the absence
I had all of these accommodations in my other house, some would even call it a home studio.

^THIS^

To me, at a bare minimum, a "recording studio" has had acoustic treatment to control unwanted frequencies and reflections, and isolation from outside noise both physical and EMI. If I walked into what someone told me was a "recording studio" and it didn't have that basic treatment I'd be very skeptical.

A room full of electronic and acoustic instruments, amplifiers, speakers and mics is also known as the bedroom for a musician. :)
This is kind of my point, because the term home studio doesn’t really discriminate whether it falls in to this list criteria.

Back
Top Bottom