Can we make it a standard thing when sharing a preset....

It would (The block) have to have a selection of pickup types (to be EQ flattened) pre-installed. i.e. single coil neck, single coil bridge, humbucker neck, etc etc.

I see. Yeah that's pretty cool. I watched a video about the mama bear and it sounds really good. So it is a concept that can work well. I still like the idea of being able to supply the local source for reference. Seems like it would be even more accurate because it could overcome things like mods, string distance to pickup, even old/new strings.

Nice idea.
It could also, maybe, be something that could be adjusted in a parameters page withing the block. Nice!

I really wish people would include a recording of their dry guitar when they share recordings because it would really help to learn how different guitar and pickup tones affect their amped tones.

Yeah I've wished that too. It seems like it's one of the under-researched (or maybe most overlooked) things in proportion to how much it affects the end result.

Maybe I'm missing something, but just injecting a little clarity from my electrical engineering training about 20 years ago, which I haven't used much...

A tone match block is a transfer function, where you provide the input guitar signal from whomever creates the tone match block (let's call it X) and the desired output sound (let's call it Y) and it comes up with the function to turn X into Y.

Now you download the patch and your guitar sounds like A. How is using that tone block (designed to make X sound like Y) going to help A sound like Y? It's like asking someone to give turn by turn directions to their house, but you don't tell them where you are starting from. That tone match block will get X to Y but it won't get your A to Y.

Honoring the spirit of the original request, the best approach would probably be to have a standard audio sequence played using the patch. Then as the receiver of the patch, you make your own tone block using your guitar and emulating the same audio sequence. That is the only way to get a function based on YOUR input to reach the desired output.

This is a basic constraint of any filter that takes your input and turns it into something else. If you want to have a generic "this is a humbucker" or "this is a single coil" sound you are basically making a synthesizer, not just a filter. It would be a (hopefully) polyphonic pitch and amplitude detector that then synthesized the desired sounds using additive or subtractive synthesis or wavetables or whatever. At that point, your ability to convey the nuances of your playing, to get the emotion out, would be seriously challenged.

Last edited:
Now you download the patch and your guitar sounds like A. How is using that tone block (designed to make X sound like Y) going to help A sound like Y?

I would describe it more like this. X is the guitar sound from the person who created the preset (so this is also the desired destination, not Y). A is your guitar sound, but you want to make it sound like X because you liked that sound. So when you download the preset it has X saved in it. You would capture your A sound. And the tone match does it thing and generates Z by subtraction. I suppose you could think of Z as a function, but I prefer to think of it as a numeric variable. So for example:

Formula: Y + Z = X
X = 3
Y = 1
Tone match solves and stores Z as 2 on a somewhat permanent basis. Going forward whatever guitar you have plugged in, the tone match block will always add 2 to the signal. This is where the problem comes in. If you plug in a different guitar (Y is -4 for example), tone match will still just add two, so the output is no longer our desired 3, but rather -2. You can re-capture your Y value in the tone match block, but by this time you have probably done a power cycle and X is lost therefore you cannot calculate Z anymore. So your directions example applies, but it's the destination that is not known rather than the origin (the axe fx can always know what the guitar you are currently playing sounds like, but it doesn't necessarily know what you want it to end up sounding like).

You're right that it isn't 100% accurate but it can get you pretty darn close. It's the sample principle that the cab block operates on. They are essentially the Z variable from above applied to your signal.

Back
Top Bottom