Can we have separate threads for the thank yous?

This is helpful to me, as I have a natural tendency to display my gratitude in person and in writing, and I agree both that I find it rude not to to say thank you and that it clutters firmware threads. Perhaps it would help, if XenForo makes it possible, to add the 🙏 Thanks emoji to the submenu when you hover over or long press the like button.

Perhaps in each first post in a Firmware thread from @FractalAudio there should also be a line of text requesting for users not to include thank you posts, because many users will not have read this thread, so they won't know Cliff's preference.
Speaking for myself, I think if it was spontaneous and occasional, "thank you's" would be welcome. Especially when someone responds to a query, or is helpful. It's just the habitual and performative thank you posts that drag the threads down a bit. But since it is good natured, no one really wanted to say anything, and I sincerely doubt anyone is going to react adversely when people do say thanks.

There is no reason to write "thanks", "good job" or "keep up the good work" for ANY post when you can click the like button. If people feel the need to have someone write a thank you about their efforts, there's another issue at hand. Maybe selfies or talk to a mirror is a solution for that person.

I find scrolling through meaningless comments for example in a beta firmware thread when there is testing feedback needed. I want to find that if I'm seeing an issue, that others may have the same response. Not that little Johnny is thrilled about how a new firmware is released. It would be more useful to submit warnings to those users to stop unwanted behaviors by many. There's a reason why you have a like button on a thread....use it!

I find scrolling through meaningless comments for example in a beta firmware thread when there is testing feedback needed. I want to find that if I'm seeing an issue, that others may have the same response. Not that little Johnny is thrilled about how a new firmware is released. It would be more useful to submit warnings to those users to stop unwanted behaviors by many. There's a reason why you have a like button on a thread....use it!
I find most firmware release threads go off the rails at some point. Take a look at the latest one and you'll see what I mean...and it hasn't been derailed by 'Thank yous'.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, it's just consistent with most stuff on the net.

Back
Top Bottom