Can the Value knob can do more, like function as a mouse?

eddysel10

I enjoy using my FM9 Turbo every day. I do most of the editing work via the FM9 Edit software. For fast editing work during live performances, I have decided to purchase the FracPad app for iPad/iPhone. All these work great but sometime it is not possible to use these software and you need to make adjustments on the hardware itself, and in most situations, you have to do these adjustments very fast. Here I see to possibility for the value knob to be more useful and make it more "multi functional" and take some of the functions of some other buttons (edit / enter / nav / page) over (so far as possible).

If I want to edit a block at the moment, I have to push the value knob to go into layout which is great (depending on the selected function in the global settings), use either the knobs below or hav buttons to go the block, click edit, etc etc. I can turn the value knob to select effects, but why not the possibility for a push function for the value knob where you can have a menu to select between type, config, mix, etc [so the page function], and when you select the page, you get the menu of that particular page and made the necessary adjustments via the value and the A, B, C, D, E knobs etc? And when completely done, even the possibility the store the changes via the value knob (yes/no select option).

Based on Firmware 5.01 (FM9), the value knob push function in global setting can be set to only none or layout. Why not implement one more function in the value knob setting and make it "multi functional" like a mouse?

Btw, what I have described above is just one example. I would like to hear what other people think about this.

Just a quick Q...what editing are you needing to do live? I've found having global EQ, Reverb Mix, and Effects Mix have been all I've ever needed and an absolute blessing vs the old days of trying to edit a couple presets on the fly. But maybe I've just become a little more complacent over the years...

Btw, is it not allowed to post the same topic in both discussion as wishlist? Just to understand the procedures of this platform.
It just causes confusion. My first thought when reading your post was "why isn't this a wish"? There have been several occurrences of multiple threads having discussions about the same topic. By making it a wish you may actually get some action on it.

Btw, is it not allowed to post the same topic in both discussion as wishlist? Just to understand the procedures of this platform.
The usual process for a wishlist would be something like this if it were up to my control:

1. Post a Discussion thread about the topic
  2. This may result in you discovering your wish is already possible or that it's impossible or a simple alternative
  3. If there seems to interest and/or consensus that a wish is in order, create a wish post (possibly citing the original Discussion thread)
Many people jump straight to #3 only to learn about #2 :)

Wishlist items typically are evaluated across the various units if applicable, so no need to post the same one in multiple places, either.

Just a quick Q...what editing are you needing to do live? I've found having global EQ, Reverb Mix, and Effects Mix have been all I've ever needed and an absolute blessing vs the old days of trying to edit a couple presets on the fly. But maybe I've just become a little more complacent over the years...
I needed to edit parameters in the effect block, that are not in the perform page. I keep pressing the value knob (thinking it is the enter button) instead of pressing enter. This happen mostly in places I have never played before. I don't take my laptop with me. I already have to take too much stuff when I play live.

The usual process for a wishlist would be something like this if it were up to my control:

1. Post a Discussion thread about the topic
  2. This may result in you discovering your wish is already possible or that it's impossible or a simple alternative
  3. If there seems to interest and/or consensus that a wish is in order, create a wish post (possibly citing the original Discussion thread)
Many people jump straight to #3 only to learn about #2 :)

Wishlist items typically are evaluated across the various units if applicable, so no need to post the same one in multiple places, either.
Thanks for the advice. In most cases, I search for the topic first. I just wanted to know if there are more people interested in the topic, that's why I have decided to post it here (discussion). Glad to see that you reacted.

I needed to edit parameters in the effect block, that are not in the perform page. I keep pressing the value knob (thinking it is the enter button) instead of pressing enter. This happen mostly in places I have never played before. I don't take my laptop with me. I already have to take too much stuff when I play live.

I mean specifically, just super curious at this point. What specific case are you repeatedly encountering where you need to precisely edit a specific effect parameter in a live situation?

Last edited:
Well apparently Rhett Shull builds presets at the gig! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: (See an earlier video he did critiquing FAS)
8doz9g.jpg

Would you mind editing the title to read "The Value knob COULD do so much more"? Seems pedantic, but it currently reads like you have a feature you're letting us know about, while it's actually a request for a new feature.

I needed to edit parameters in the effect block, that are not in the perform page.
The performance pages can be changed by you so they can be what you want though.

I’m not understanding exactly what the problem is unless it’s that there might not be enough “slots” in the pages. I configure mine per-preset with the parameters I’m most likely to adjust in that preset, and globally with amp and reverb level and input gain and such.

It’s even possible to add global settings to the performance pages such as specific EQ bands like the lows and highs, which can change settings for all presets.

See p.114 in the manual for more information.

I mean specifically, just super curious at this point. What specific case are you repeatedly encountering where you need to precisely edit a specific effect parameter in a live situation?
I didn't encountered any issues, but continue to press the value knob thinking it can function as enter too. I just want to be able to edit faster on the hardware in stead of having to use iPad or computer all the time. So it would be great if it can function as a computer mouse.

Last edited:
Now you just need a moderator to move it to the FM9 Discussion forum.

Doesn't apply for FM3 as the scroll wheel isn't a push button there...
I hope they can move my post to the FM9 forum in stead of the FM3 one. This was my mistake. Thanks for noticed.

The performance pages can be changed by you so they can be what you want though.

I’m not understanding exactly what the problem is unless it’s that there might not be enough “slots” in the pages. I configure mine per-preset with the parameters I’m most likely to adjust in that preset, and globally with amp and reverb level and input gain and such.

It’s even possible to add global settings to the performance pages such as specific EQ bands like the lows and highs, which can change settings for all presets.

See p.114 in the manual for more information.
There is no issue. It is just a suggestion for the value knob to function more like a mouse so I can edit faster especially in live situations. I do use the perform page extensively.

Would you mind editing the title to read "The Value knob COULD do so much more"? Seems pedantic, but it currently reads like you have a feature you're letting us know about, while it's actually a request for a new feature.
Yes, it is a request.

Back
Top Bottom