Can the Ultra Get close to the II??

Always got good tones from the ultra. Now clean tones are a lot more easy to dial in on the II. Effects on the II are more complete. Otherwise : If Axe II wouldn't exist I'd have kept my Ultra as IMHO it still is second best after axe II.

Always got good tones from the ultra. Now clean tones are a lot more easy to dial in on the II. Effects on the II are more complete. Otherwise : If Axe II wouldn't exist I'd have kept my Ultra as IMHO it still is second best after axe II.

I think that's the definitive question. If the AFX2 or AX8 did not exist, would you still use your Ultra/Std over the current "competing products"?

I really want a newer model, but the price is prohibitive. So I would really like to know if am missing out on something great in just the amp modeling aspect.

I think that's the definitive question. If the AFX2 or AX8 did not exist, would you still use your Ultra/Std over the current "competing products"?

I really want a newer model, but the price is prohibitive. So I would really like to know if am missing out on something great in just the amp modeling aspect.

Personnally I would not have changed anything, that is what I tried to explain. I'd have kept the ULTRA for both amps and effects. But if price is the issue, you could check on the Atomic Amplifire stuff that came out after the ULTRA. Combined with an external effect unit it might work quite good also. Personnally I'd keep the Ultra as it's "all in one".

Keep on rockin'

Sorry, I quoted you, but was not asking you directly. I meant that in general to all AFX2 users that came from Std/Ultra, to answer the people like me, and the people like the creator of this thread. You just found the perfect way to ask the question for us.

I like it so far, the key to the Ultra is finding the Cab Impulses that fit best with each amp. There are only 10 user IR slots, but I think if I choose wisely, I can cover a lot of ground. I have an insane ir collection. A good REAL cab is key also, I think 2 Marshall B cabs will do it justice for live and ir's for DI. The effects are certainly good enough for me. I don't use a whole lot. I just want to create a good set of patches and I'm done. Set it and forget it.

Oh, also, I have used user amp sim there is at least once aside from the Amplifire and the Ultra still is the better choice. Unless you are not the tweaker type anyway, then an Eleven Rack or Amplifire might be better for you. I wanted to try the amplifire but had to have the fractal first, lol.

I like it so far, the key to the Ultra is finding the Cab Impulses that fit best with each amp. There are only 10 user IR slots, but I think if I choose wisely, I can cover a lot of ground. I have an insane ir collection. A good REAL cab is key also, I think 2 Marshall B cabs will do it justice for live and ir's for DI. The effects are certainly good enough for me. I don't use a whole lot. I just want to create a good set of patches and I'm done. Set it and forget it.

You are using impulses or cab sims with a power amp and real guitar cab, not FRFR? You would probably get more realistic guitar tone from turning off cab and power amp sims, and not using impulses.

Totally agree with this, 10 User IR for live use is enough, just have the good ones. I believe some user posted Ultrares IR's converted to the Ultra IR format. Check on the forum, it is there somewhere. The TV 4x25 cab IR was a great cab.
Going through the posts of Scott Peterson, Javajunkie, Yek, Miketheman, matt@ Mark Day, Raca is probably the best way to get introduced to the engine and getting at ease with it fastly.
Keep on rockin'

Totally agree with this, 10 User IR for live use is enough, just have the good ones. I believe some user posted Ultrares IR's converted to the Ultra IR format. Check on the forum, it is there somewhere. The TV 4x25 cab IR was a great cab.
Going through the posts of Scott Peterson, Javajunkie, Yek, Miketheman, matt@ Mark Day, Raca is probably the best way to get introduced to the engine and getting at ease with it fastly.
Keep on rockin'
Thanks Bro and I am getting up to speed fast. Being a little lazy with the front panel tweaking, but I'll get there. The editor is spoiling me, but let's me see what makes good patches great and so on. Gain staging is so important with this box and probably the one reason some people can get on with it. Especially for live use. A good studio patch, is so entirely different from a good live patch. What fun this thing is though, the wait was worth it. I have been behind Fractal since the tiny ad in Guitar Player Magazine, I just never could afford one. Worth every cent though, I can attest to that.

Forgot to indicate : also check on simeon's posts and patches for ULTRA. Simeon's work shows another face (use of effects and modifiers) of the magic world of Axe Fx.

After hearing some of the newer modelers from other companies, I think my answer might be "no". I'm becoming less and less satisfied with the raw amp tone of the Ultra compared to the II and other newer modelers. The Ultra still excels in effects and routing flexibility though.

I know I already did my endorsement, but at the risk of being repetitive... FWIW, whenever I fire up my Ultra my first thought is almost always either one of:
"Why did I ever bother with anything else after I got this?"
or
"I should use this rig more often".

It is easy to do too much navel gazing with modelers, I am guilty of it myself (big time). I played it last week when some of my other gear (newer, more currently loved on the net) was not available and I was thinking, "OMG, this thing is just slaying it. I need to try to get a preset that sounds like this on my II".

After hearing some of the newer modelers from other companies, I think my answer might be "no". I'm becoming less and less satisfied with the raw amp tone of the Ultra compared to the II and other newer modelers. The Ultra still excels in effects and routing flexibility though.
It's good to learn about new things and if they're roadable; please proceed; which modellers, what price and in what these newer modellers do excel ? Always interested in a good and affordable backup solution.

An affordable backup solution would be the Amplifire. It sounds pretty damn good, but it does not have the vast possibilities of the fractal stuff. With modeling you need to think of what's under the hood too. The Ultra is still pretty hard to beat. I can hear the depth in the Ultra that I have never heard with anything else. I am blessed with VERY anal ears and still am blown away with the nuances of a digital box. The Axe-II is twice as deep, you cannot get this kind of quality with any other product. IF it was available it would not be affordable. The axe costs so much because of the hardware and converters etc.. The actual modelling, is on the verge of free. Thank Cliff for that.

The Ultra can be dialed in to sound and feel amazing. It is a great box. It requires more work than the II and does not sound the same but it is a helluva tone machine and that is reason enough to appreciate it for what it is. I love mine so much, I could not bear to sell it after I got the II even though I had said to myself I would when I ordered the II.

I have owned nearly every plugin and modeler under the Sun and honestly, I think the II is the only thing I would take over the Ultra.

Enjoy it, man. Killer tone is killer tone and will be till the end of time. They're a classic.

Have you tried Peavey Revalver 4? I have a ultra, and the tone in Revalver to me is amazing. I just wish they had a hardware version. To me there exactly like a amp, and no excessive tweaking necessary.

Have you tried Peavey Revalver 4? I have a ultra, and the tone in Revalver to me is amazing. I just wish they had a hardware version. To me there exactly like a amp, and no excessive tweaking necessary.
I've owned it since it came out. It's extremely disappointing IMHO. I play around with plugins all the time... It's not even the best plugin around much less something that can hold a candle to dedicated hardware. Glad you like it though, LOL. We're all different.

I've owned it since it came out. It's extremely disappointing IMHO. I play around with plugins all the time... It's not even the best plugin around much less something that can hold a candle to dedicated hardware. Glad you like it though, LOL. We're all different.

One thing I've notices is that everyone has a different oppinion of what modeler sounds good, and I think a lot of it has to do with what you are listening to the modeler from. I've only used my ultra,and Peavey Revalver on a handful of different speaker system. One of them is the FBT Verve 15 ma, and the Behringer Truth speakers, Peavey PV215, Sennheiser (spelling) HD 280, and Audio Technica ATH-m50. My big purchase, or should i say the speaker flavor of the month, was the FBT, and that was a horrible sounding system for the Ultra. After about a year, and a half of trying to get a sound that would compete with my Switchblade Tube amp through the Axe Fx ultra I realized that no matter what i did it wouldn't happen with the speaker system i had. I tried a some JBL powered speakers system, but sent that back, due to it it having some internal warbling/woofing going on. I tried the Kemper system that could copy other tube amps, but sent that back, because it Was getting some sort of RFI /EMI noise coming through it down in my basement, when the Ultra had any, or barely any noticeable issue 's with noise at all. I thought the Kemper sounded pretty good, through my Behringer Truth 3030B. In fact everything VST, Ultra, and what not sounded better through them then they did through any of the other speaker systems I had, that was when i realized that the biggest factor, and difference in those speakers, was that they were FRFR, and that they had the missing ingredient, to make a FRFR System sound good. It is a ribbon tweeter, which is made out neodymium magnet. I did some research, and found out that this tweeter, actually acts more like a speaker then other conventional tweeters. I would like to try Peavey's high powered Ribbon tweeter based speakers on a modeler.

I had the opportunity, and money to buy the Ultra II, but I got tired of not having a speaker system that could get the job done, because i new that was the weak point. I didn't want to put more money, Into guessing my way into a good speakers system, that would work, and bridge the gap to having the in the room Tube feel with FRFR, that i decided to get the try the 2 notes torpedo live, and still have that. I got a good deal on a Core blade for nearly half what they normally cost on Ebay. So those both wound up being my Axe FX II replacement. I think the Two Notes Ir's need some Eq to make them sound good.

I just did a test yesturday, and opened up Two Notes Wall of sound 3, inside Revalver, and was not overly impressed, granted I didn't go through all the Cabs/ Mics, or put the Eq on, because Peavey Revalver, I think had the advantage, because they had already matched the amps, to the cabs properly, so that they sound good, with the Behringer Truth speakers..

I'm pretty happy with the sound I get through both, but I'm still sticking with my Coreblade, and you just cant beat the real thing. I got me some EL88 coming, on tuesday, so that should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom