Can the synth block do the GR-300 sounds?

jzucker

Experienced
Looking to emulate some pat metheny stuff ala this type of GR-300 playing (from my friend Mike Pavone)

I found the monophonic nature of the sounds to be pretty limiting, and gave up interest. It would be good for doing recordings, because it is nicely expressive to track note bending etc.... but lack of polyphony makes it pretty niche-centric for live use.

Sometimes the glitchy artifacts of frequency jumping when you play two or more notes simultaneously is interesting- but for me more in a bedroom noodley way than in a performing way.

Note that video demo above does use a bit of polyphony that would sound whacked with the monophonic Axe. Don't the guitar synths typically rely on separate encoding for each string, a specialized pickup, so it's a much easier problem to solve than taking in only audio info with no string-specific data?

That used to be true but Melodyne software which is being licensed on a number of hardware and software platforms including polyphonic tuners and analog synths is able to decode polyphony in realtime.

This technology is being used by jam origin's Midi Guitar software which runs on pcs, macs and ios. I downloaded their trial and it's the best midi tracking I've ever experienced. I can play very fast and (as an example) I was playing a tune with 8th notes at 300 BPM and it tracked extremely accurately and with minimal delay. (down to 1-3ms). This was on a PC with a decent CPU but supposedly the IOS version runs just fine as well.

Note that video demo above does use a bit of polyphony that would sound whacked with the monophonic Axe. Don't the guitar synths typically rely on separate encoding for each string, a specialized pickup, so it's a much easier problem to solve than taking in only audio info with no string-specific data?

The full version of Midi Guitar is incredibly fast& non glitchy, IMHO. I predict this will become a defacto tool in most modern players toolboxes....

Unfortunately, jam origin midi guitar is problematic with chords that contain a #4. For example, C Bb Eb Gb (Cm7b5) It will produce B Bb Eb Gb (BMaj7). This is reproducible in any inversion and any transposition (not just C) and it was verified by them and they are working on it but have said that it may be months before its fixed.

The full version of Midi Guitar is incredibly fast& non glitchy, IMHO. I predict this will become a defacto tool in most modern players toolboxes....

Last edited:
Unfortunately, jam origin midi guitar is problematic with chords that contain a #4. For example, C Bb Eb Gb (Cm7b5) It will produce B Bb Eb Gb (BMaj7). This is reproducible in any inversion and any transposition (not just C) and it was verified by them and they are working on it but have said that it may be months before its fixed.
What midi guitar version are you using?
Unfortunately if you are testing the latest version demo (beta 4 I think), then you do not have access to the latest developments. Nor even can try the pitchbend.
In the latest beta version (12 is the latest atm) it has been improved, although its not yet perfect its much better.
In my experience in some dissonant intervals (2b, 9b but also occurs in 7#) it tends to skip or mute one of the two notes, making it less offensive, but rarely changes the note for another one as you described. At least here.
Even with these "small" defects, midi guitar is totally revolutionary, is far superior to other systems and more importantly, the tracking in the bass notes (the great Achilles heel of the guitar midi systems) is unrivaled, you can play fast in the 6th string and hardly lose a note.
Even the version of Midi Bass is incredibly playable, the bass players have not been so close to play midi since this was invented.

Could not leave without saying that this is a really great performance, yeah its soundo to Metheny but its full of sophisticated phrasing and emotion.

yeah, micheal pavone is a badass player from dc. He can imitate metheny or scofield playing sophisticated jazz or funk or fusion plus he's got his own style.

check out this older album of his where he sounds exactly like metheny.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/trio-mw0000211665

Back
Top Bottom