Can the FX8 replace all this?

Charry

Inspired
Hello everyone, new member here trying to get all the basic info I need before selling half of my gear to get an FX8 (still on the waiting list). I have a very big pedalboard that consists of a lot of drive analog pedals, some digital pedals, a switcher and a TC G-System. I go stereo into 2 clean Fenders (HRD-BDR). I'm quite happy with my sound, I can get all the tones I need and do very complex routing options, the only problem is that the pedalboard is so heavy that it's getting very hard to tour with it, so it's time to shrink everything and it seems the FX8 is the way to go. My idea is to keep the drive pedals and the switcher on one pedalboard and sell all the other multi effects in order to get the FX8 and put that on another pedalboard, and have some kind of modular rig, in this way I can simulate all my pedals and fx's with the FX8 If I need to travel, or just connect the 2 pedalboards together if I'm on my home town and in this configuration I'll just use the FX8 as a Multi effects processor.
I have a couple of questions though, I use a lot of effects at the same time and I'm not too sure if the FX8 can manage all that processing without limiting the CPU. Basically I would need to have IA to:
-Wah
-Drives (2-4)
-Modfx (Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, etc)
-Pitchfx (Whammy, Octaver, harmonizer, etc..)
-Delay
-Reverb

I also use an M5 or an Istomp for a shimmer effect, I know I can do this with the FX8 (I used to have a Axe Fx and I know it is possible), but since I need to use another delay and another reverb to do it I'm kind of scared of getting maxed with the CPU.
The other special effect I need is the doubler, I always had it on on my G-System to get a real stereo spread with 12ms on the left or right channel. I suppose I can get the same effect with the Enhancer right? But I have the same fear of not being able to use it without hitting the roof on the CPU.

So, what do you guys think? Can I pull this off? Or do I need to keep some of my pedals? I really wish I could get all this with just one processor, and I think the FX8 is the only one that can really make it happen. I'm not too interested in the Line 6 Helix or other processors like that, I don't need amp modelling, I just need a lot of effects at the same time and maybe some od's to simulate my analog pedals, that's all!

Thank you guys..

Last edited:
I love my FX8, but IMHO the shimmer just isn't there in any kind of user- or CPU- friendly way. If you're happy keeping hold of another unit for your shim, the FX8 will carry out the rest of your effects duties with aplomb (provided you don't use more than 2 drives at once).

I love my FX8, but IMHO the shimmer just isn't there in any kind of user- or CPU- friendly way. If you're happy keeping hold of another unit for your shim, the FX8 will carry out the rest of your effects duties with aplomb (provided you don't use more than 2 drives at once).

Mmm, maybe I will have to keep the M5 until I get the FX8 and see if it is capable of doing it or not..

i mean, it can definitely do shimmer....it depends on how elaborate you want it to be along with everything else.

i mean, it can definitely do shimmer....it depends on how elaborate you want it to be along with everything else.

Yes, I know it can and actually I don't think it would be very detailed if I just want it to have it in the effects chain with all the other fx I need and without limiting the CPU. And that's for all the effects, I don't need them to be HD or super complicated, basic settings, my concern is being able to use them freely without restrictions of CPU, that's all...

I think so, with some of the caveats noted above (though I think a single MultiTap Plex Shifter is a very cool shimmer all on its own...)

Also, don't lose sight of the big up tick: the FX8 will do something that all those pedals cannot do: give you the freedom to explore hundreds of new combinations of effects, modify pedal order at the change of a preset, and do so all in an ideal environment, with fewer power and cabling worries. I also think the FX8 is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind that I discovered; Don't get locked into 'I have to use 2 delays and 2 reverbs for this sound'. I used multiple pedals to get some of my ambient tones. I now only use a total of two from the FX8. For example, a multidelay and 1 reverb in the FX8 replaced 3 delays and 2 reverbs for me. As far as the drives, you can only have 2 active at the same time. You have access to 4 with the X/Y feature but only 2 drive blocks per preset. If you run into CPU problems, create presets that eliminate any effects not being used. Inactive, not empty, blocks still affect CPU usage. It's extremely easy to switch between presets in studio or live. I press and hold the 'SCENE' footswitch a few measures before I need to switch presets or scenes then press the appropriate numbered switch to make the change. The FX8 stays in the preset (or scene) select phase until another footswitch is pressed. I sold a number of great pedals as well to get the FX8, it was definitely worth it and I concur with what Admin M@ says, it is a lot of fun!

I think so, with some of the caveats noted above (though I think a single MultiTap Plex Shifter is a very cool shimmer all on its own...)

Also, don't lose sight of the big up tick: the FX8 will do something that all those pedals cannot do: give you the freedom to explore hundreds of new combinations of effects, modify pedal order at the change of a preset, and do so all in an ideal environment, with fewer power and cabling worries. I also think the FX8 is a lot of fun.

Ok, I'm sold, now I just need to find one, that's the hardest part, I was on the list a couple of months ago, but I didn't had any money so I had to send the email again last week. I have some important gigs on April so I hope I can find one used next month because we all know the waiting list takes like 4-6 months right?

Something to keep in mind that I discovered; Don't get locked into 'I have to use 2 delays and 2 reverbs for this sound'. I used multiple pedals to get some of my ambient tones. I now only use a total of two from the FX8. For example, a multidelay and 1 reverb in the FX8 replaced 3 delays and 2 reverbs for me. As far as the drives, you can only have 2 active at the same time. You have access to 4 with the X/Y feature but only 2 drive blocks per preset. If you run into CPU problems, create presets that eliminate any effects not being used. Inactive, not empty, blocks still affect CPU usage. It's extremely easy to switch between presets in studio or live. I press and hold the 'SCENE' footswitch a few measures before I need to switch presets or scenes then press the appropriate numbered switch to make the change. The FX8 stays in the preset (or scene) select phase until another footswitch is pressed. I sold a number of great pedals as well to get the FX8, it was definitely worth it and I concur with what Admin M@ says, it is a lot of fun!

Thanks for the tips, can't wait to have it and explore all the possibilities! Hopefully It will do all the things I want, plus more..

Ok, I'm sold, now I just need to find one, that's the hardest part, I was on the list a couple of months ago, but I didn't had any money so I had to send the email again last week. I have some important gigs on April so I hope I can find one used next month because we all know the waiting list takes like 4-6 months right?

took me 6 weeks (mid dec -> end of Jan) to get mine.

Ok, I never received my invitation so I decided to buy one I saw on eBay, it should be here next weekend. I have another question though. I used to have a Radial big shot ABY in order to have the 2 amps always in phase in my stereo rig, does the FX8 has some kind of internal setting to invert the phase of 1 of the outputs? Or do I have to keep a pedal that does this thing?

You can reverse the phase within the stereo effects blocks (such as 2290 delay) in the left channel, right channel or both.

Back
Top Bottom