Can the Axe-fx handle REAL surf reverb?!

Reddy Kilowatt said:
I haven't tried it, but it seems like a clean boost block or maybe an EQ block used to boost the signal could provide the gain bump from the tank y'all are looking for.
Any good luck trying boost and eq before or after the reverb block? It seems to be the way to go!
I found a new youtube review of the Boss FRV-1 pedal (based on the 63 tank) vs 63 tank.
Hard to tell in this clip but I'd like to try it out for a comparison. Others think it's right after the Amplitube 63 sim.
(63 tank at 2 min) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4c1hu8zXnI

From the 8.08 release notes:

Added Number Springs and Spring Tone parameters to Reverb block. These parameters, in the advanced menu, only affect the Vintage types. Number springs allows you to vary the number of virtual springs from two to six in increments of two. The Vintage Small defaults to two, Medium to four and Large to six (previously all defaulted to six). The Spring Tone parameter allows you to vary the tone of the Vintage type. The models now all default to a value of 5.00. Presets created with earlier firmware will read 0.0 and can be left as is or adjusted to taste.

I don't care about surf music and will probably never use the extra boinginess, but witnessing the depth of knowledge and the Long standing, meticulous attention to detail on cliffs part that made it even possible to add this feature in such an off-handed way is extremely impressive.

FractalAudio said:
From the 8.08 release notes:

Added Number Springs and Spring Tone parameters to Reverb block. These parameters, in the advanced menu, only affect the Vintage types. Number springs allows you to vary the number of virtual springs from two to six in increments of two. The Vintage Small defaults to two, Medium to four and Large to six (previously all defaulted to six). The Spring Tone parameter allows you to vary the tone of the Vintage type. The models now all default to a value of 5.00. Presets created with earlier firmware will read 0.0 and can be left as is or adjusted to taste.
:shock: Incredible!!! Thanks so much Cliff - I just sold my reverb tank....and now I won't even miss it!!

I'm interested to see what Lemurstrat thinks of the fact that Cliff took his challenge and (in a matter of days) released new firmware that does what he was asking for.

Are you out there?

browlett, I think Cliff's work, service and dedication is amazing!
As I previously wrote in this long thread: "Wow Cliff, I can't imagine any other company having this great support and close interaction with their customers!! This is really something."
Many brands are trying to win the arms race of producing the best surf reverb pedal simulation. I know the Axe has more process power than a stomp pedal and Amplitube sim so I started this thread to see what it could do. For some, it's just a spring reverb, but many reverb tank users are very picky and crave ALL the characteristics. As mentioned earlier, the boing and spring control is not all. Putting the reverb block before amp block and adding pre and post boost gain and eq with the reverb is important too and is already possible in the Axe. It would be very interesting to hear the Axe using this method.

Lemurstrat said:
As mentioned earlier, the boing and spring control is not all. Putting the reverb block before amp block and adding pre and post boost gain and eq with the reverb is important too and is already possible in the Axe. It would be very interesting to hear the Axe using this method.

Lemurstrat, have you tried this with your Axe-Fx? How did it work out?

xrist04 said:
Lemurstrat said:
As mentioned earlier, the boing and spring control is not all. Putting the reverb block before amp block and adding pre and post boost gain and eq with the reverb is important too and is already possible in the Axe. It would be very interesting to hear the Axe using this method.

Lemurstrat, have you tried this with your Axe-Fx? How did it work out?
You will have to wait until next summer, when he purchases one. :shock:
Look in the other tread.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10097&start=70
Micha

michl_666 said:
You will have to wait until next summer, when he purchases one. :shock:
Look in the other tread.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10097&start=70
Micha

Ah, so I see!

Ladies and gentlemen - may we present Fractal Audio Systems, the company that jumps through flaming hoops of fire, on tight timetables, to satisfy customers that it doesn't even have yet!

Amazing!
tpcheer.gif

Lemurstrat quote:
"I'm really excited about this too! I'm still saving up for my Axe so I have to wait till next summer.
I just wanted to make sure it was surfy enough before buying :mrgreen:
Go Cliff!"

Yes, as mentioned before, I made my test clip with the Pod-X3 and fender 63 tank.
The Axe-fx is a must have for me, but it takes time saving up for it.
Otherwise I would be trying the surf with the Axe right now.

Back
Top Bottom