Can someone post a clip displaying FIZZ?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I Keep hearing about high end fizz. But I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I'm not sure if I'm just not experienced that problem or if I AM but don't know it and don't know what fizz sounds like.

Can anyone post a clip that has a very noticeable "high end fizz" in it?

I think that would be helpful to a lot of tweakers who don't know exactly what to listen for.

Thanks

I Keep hearing about high end fizz. But I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I'm not sure if I'm just not experienced that problem or if I AM but don't know it and don't know what fizz sounds like.

Can anyone post a clip that has a very noticeable "high end fizz" in it?

I think that would be helpful to a lot of tweakers who don't know exactly what to listen for.

Thanks

I will post samples of the exact same clip, one with lots of "fizz", one with very little, and a patch that shows how you can tame it, hopefully later this evening. This will of course be based on MY definition of "fizz"!

I'm scared. What if my great tones are actually fizzy and I don't know it?! Can wait to hear the clips!

Yeah. I might regret this.

No, rest assured, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MODELS. Real amps do this too. The FRFR nature of this beast tends to expose things that a normal guitar cab won't reproduce, but if you use a good IR with a good amp block and the right settings you'll be in guitar nirvana. Relax.

So far I've been very happy with my tones.
Im just always looking for ways to improve and id like to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I don't have the best ear for EQ and may not even notice the fizz. But that doesn't mean someone else isn't noticing it when I'm playing live.

Just be aware that there's a significant historical controversy over cheaper and older modellers producing "fizz" that is NOT present in the amps being modelled. This is largely the reason early modellers have such a bad reputation.

Provided you avoid digital clipping, you won't have this problem with an Axe-FX. But if you start asking or reading about fizz on other forums, you'll get some very different answers due to a different interpretation of the word "fizz".

So back to this forum and the discussion about fizz, we're talking about the normal "buzzy character" produced by any accurately modelled overdriven amp or overdrive/distortion pedal.

+1 for what GM Arts said. The 'digital modeler' fizz is in NO way apparent in the axe fx that I can detect. Some of the 'fizz' that I am talking about was best described by nikki - as 'paper tearing' type frequencies. These ARE present in real amps as well. Not that I like it one bit in the real amps either tho.....

I still would like to hear anyone's interpretation of fizz. So far I hear nothing that resembles "fizz" when I dial in patches. As much attention as this topic is getting on the forum I'm sure someone will post a clip eventually.
Whether its actually fizz or NOT I'd like to get an idea of what everyone is talking about.

I still would like to hear anyone's interpretation of fizz. So far I hear nothing that resembles "fizz" when I dial in patches. As much attention as this topic is getting on the forum I'm sure someone will post a clip eventually.
Whether its actually fizz or NOT I'd like to get an idea of what everyone is talking about.

You can check out this post from grape, who did some excellent recordings that cover a lot of ground, and amps. Read thru the thread if you can too, some good stuff in there.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/43598-high-end-fizz-normal-11.html

Edit - here's the soundcloud clip from grape 3.02 by plum-55 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm thinking "fizz" as that zzzzz in between the RRRR on high gain sounds.

A roaring high gain thing might be:

TSCHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The fizz would be a little high gain ant, copying your playing on his tiny high gain amp...which has much faster cycles on his R's, which then becomes Z's. Resulting in:

TTTSSSCCCHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
TSCHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yeah, that's it. :D

Reactions: jon
The Sound of "FIZZ"

Here is "fizz". The main cause is distortion by an amp block of the overtones of the strings as opposed to the fundamental tones of the strings. This is my perception and definition at least. Yours may differ and that's fine.

The first part of the sound clip has all of the overtones of the strings being fed into the amp block. It sounds sort of like "radio static" superimposed on top of the sound. The second part of the clip has some of the overtones of the strings reduced (low pass filtered) before entering the amp block which leaves a buzzing type of distortion that doesn't "clash" with the notes of the strings - less "noise" so to speak.

PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT saying that "fizz" sounds bad. The amount of treble being fed into an amp and distorted is a matter of personal taste, it does not mean the amp block "sounds bad", it's just the nature of the way tubes (and transistors as well) distort sound. So PLEASE don't "shoot the messenger" of what I call "fizz".

Here's the clip. It's the exact same patch only a low pass filter block that was placed before the amp block was bypassed in the first half of the recording. This is mainly to demonstrate to people without much experience with tones how amps sound different depending on the EQ of the tone being fed to them.

http://www.rockrollband.com/fizz.mp3

:roll

Not meaning to sound stupid, but isn't "fizz" a product also of harmonic distortion caused by the aliasing qualities of the processors...?
Aliasing in one source of fizz—just like pork is one source of protein—but it's not the only source. "Real" tube amps generate fizz too, and there's no aliasing going on in them.

This article may be interesting (required reading).:twisted

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/read-me/16237-fractal-university-101-a.html
In that article, Cliff talks about "the 'fizz' region of 5-10 kHz." Whatever the source, it's (some of) the signals in that region that we perceive as fizz.

Reactions: jon
I thought the word "fizz" came about because it describes an artifact that is similar to the sound of the fizz of a carbonated beverage after it's just been poured. That sound is on top of the distorted guitar sound, right? But what do I know...

I'm still trying to carve out some quality time with my AxeII so I'm not much help there.

To be honest, I know nothing about the origin or history of the word.

Back
Top Bottom