Can someone please explain ghost notes and the B+ settings

Yes, but that does not answer my question.

Sag creates a certain amount of compression, but it also can have bad side effects, the worst of which is "ghost" notes. Ghost notes are notes that are "riding on top" of the guitar note, not generally harmonically related to the note being played. This can be a bit disconcerting when it is mixed in with the guitar tone. The ghost notes are usually caused by inadequate power supply filtering, which allows a 120Hz component to modulate the guitar signal. (The frequency is 120Hz because of the full-wave rectification of the 60Hz supply. It would be 100Hz in countries that use 50Hz mains power.)

Sag creates a certain amount of compression, but it also can have bad side effects, the worst of which is "ghost" notes. Ghost notes are notes that are "riding on top" of the guitar note, not generally harmonically related to the note being played. This can be a bit disconcerting when it is mixed in with the guitar tone. The ghost notes are usually caused by inadequate power supply filtering, which allows a 120Hz component to modulate the guitar signal. (The frequency is 120Hz because of the full-wave rectification of the 60Hz supply. It would be 100Hz in countries that use 50Hz mains power.)

Thank you. Could you provide me a youtube link where I can hear? I've heard strange sound sometimes, but I have not been sure whether they are real or just in "my head"... :)

I would also want to know more about this. I remember when auditioning amps on the AXE there was a strange low note that appeared when i played more than one note at a time.
Is there a way to dial this out if i ever experience this again?

I would also want to know more about this. I remember when auditioning amps on the AXE there was a strange low note that appeared when i played more than one note at a time.

This is a shot in the dark, but could you possibly have been hearing a difference tone?

I don't have any links to offer, but I can say that the one amp I owned that did the ghost note thing quite a bit was an early Dr. Z Rt.66. You might do some searching for that amp... I think Kracked covered the tech details.

Cool stuff... I had forgotten all about this. How does the 120Hz component modulate the guitar freq?

It's actually 120 Hz plus harmonics. You can hear it by doing the following:
1. Take an amp like Plexi 100W.
2. Turn sag up.
3. Turn B+ Time Constant down.
4. Play single notes around the 5th fret on the G string.

You should hear a tone unrelated to the pitched note. A little bit adds character. Too much sounds like ass.

I had a Mesa studio 22 go bad, and it did this very very heavily. I wish i still had a sound clip somewhere but it seems I've lost them. It's basically same as using a ring modulator with 100/120hz freq setting and low mix.

It's actually 120 Hz plus harmonics. You can hear it by doing the following:
1. Take an amp like Plexi 100W.
2. Turn sag up.
3. Turn B+ Time Constant down.
4. Play single notes around the 5th fret on the G string.

You should hear a tone unrelated to the pitched note. A little bit adds character. Too much sounds like ass.

Got you!

I had a Mesa studio 22 go bad, and it did this very very heavily. I wish i still had a sound clip somewhere but it seems I've lost them. It's basically same as using a ring modulator with 100/120hz freq setting and low mix.

Yup, similar to a ring modulator. One primary difference is that the "mix" is dynamic and changes with conditions in the power amp. As the power amp draws more current the ripple on the power supply increases and vice-versa.

When several notes distort together a lot of intermodulation products is being created. Among those is the differens between
some of the frequenzys. Try to bend an A from the 8:e fret on the b string while holding a A on the 5:e fret om the 1 st E string and then let the bended note sink a bit. Then you will get some very low frequenzys to appear. That happens in all distorting amps
so I guess you can´t dial it out. I even think you would miss it.

:D

When several notes distort together a lot of intermodulation products is being created. Among those is the differens between
some of the frequenzys. Try to bend an A from the 8:e fret on the b string while holding a A on the 5:e fret om the 1 st E string and then let the bended note sink a bit. Then you will get some very low frequenzys to appear. That happens in all distorting amps
so I guess you can´t dial it out. I even think you would miss it.

:D

I've noticed this. I think it's a cool effect, and consider it a musical opportunity when it occurs.

Back
Top Bottom