Can Someone lead me through the MFC-101 Update PLEASE.......................

mjross

Inspired
To update your MFC-101 firmware please follow the following steps.

1. READ THE RELEASE NOTES.-----------------Got it

2. Disconnect any cables from the MFC-101 MIDI OUT port--------------------------Did that

3. Connect the MIDI OUT port of your computer MIDI interface to the MIDI IN port of the MFC-101.---------------------------What happens to the midi in connection?

4. Power up the MFC-101 while holding down the #1 footswitch to enter "FW UPDATE MODE". ---------------------------WOW! I got that part

5. Begin to transmit the firmware file using your. The MFC-101 will display the percentage complete.-------------------------------------------WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure on this one, MIDI librtarian?

6. When the update is complete the MFC-101 display will show a confirmation.------------------------------------I can only hope to get this far

7. The MFC-101 must be power-cycled to begin using the new firmware. -----------------------------I might be able to do this

IS THERE A SIMPLIER WAY?....................................................................................................................................

Gentlemen, I'm very sorry and feel like an idiot but this has been more than I expected to get this up and running. At first I had problems with the upgrade (do over). Then the Banks gave me fits. Now this! how much can an old guy take. I'm going to do something that many of us old rockers do to relax and hopefully when I get back I'll be in a better if not different frame of mind. Your time is ALWAYS greatly appreciated. I just hope I will be able to help other some day. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mj

To update your MFC-101 firmware please follow the following steps.

1. READ THE RELEASE NOTES.-----------------Got it

2. Disconnect any cables from the MFC-101 MIDI OUT port--------------------------Did that

3. Connect the MIDI OUT port of your computer MIDI interface to the MIDI IN port of the MFC-101.---------------------------What happens to the midi in connection?

4. Power up the MFC-101 while holding down the #1 footswitch to enter "FW UPDATE MODE". ---------------------------WOW! I got that part

5. Begin to transmit the firmware file using your. The MFC-101 will display the percentage complete.-------------------------------------------WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure on this one, MIDI librtarian?

6. When the update is complete the MFC-101 display will show a confirmation.------------------------------------I can only hope to get this far

7. The MFC-101 must be power-cycled to begin using the new firmware. -----------------------------I might be able to do this

IS THERE A SIMPLIER WAY?....................................................................................................................................

Gentlemen, I'm very sorry and feel like an idiot but this has been more than I expected to get this up and running. At first I had problems with the upgrade (do over). Then the Banks gave me fits. Now this! how much can an old guy take. I'm going to do something that many of us old rockers do to relax and hopefully when I get back I'll be in a better if not different frame of mind. Your time is ALWAYS greatly appreciated. I just hope I will be able to help other some day. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mj

Are you on a PC or a Mac?

You need a Midi librarian (a program that transfers sysx files through your Midi ports and cables)

If on a Windows PC you can download a free program called MidiOx here: MIDIOX

Let me know and I can step you through it. If on a Mac I cannot help you.

Really easy...yes maybe a little intimidating if you haven't done it before though :)

Download and install midiOX (available on the fractal support site). Use the instructions in the upgrade document that came with the v.2.01 firmware for the MFC (How to Update.txt).

I have rephrased things a bit below and added some more info - hope this helps!

1. Install and then launch MidiOX

2. To configure MIDI-OX use: View -> Sysex to bring up the Sysex view window then Sysex -> Configure to configure the buffers.

Fractal recommends the following settings:

Low Level I/O Buffers: size - 256, number - 16 (the change is in two places both 32 -> 16)
Milliseconds between buffers: 90 ms (from a default of 60)

3. In the "Option" Menu select "Midi devices"
- in the "MIDI Outputs" box click on your midi device (it should then appear in the "Port Mapping" box. Close this window by clicking "ok"

4. Confirm that you output device is seen by MidiOX by observing the lower left of the main window (it should list your device as the out put device)

5. Click on the second icon (arrow FROM folder to device)......browse the mfc101.syx file and send her up. You will see % progress on the MFC.

Hope this makes sense. If you need more help let me know.

jkstraw, thanks for the detailed instructions. I do appreciate your time. Again, sorry about the double post.

Cheers,

Mj

Just as a side note........last night while working with jkstraw, I had to wait what seemed to be a long time for my MFC to update.

Also, thanks for the cobbler.

Mj

Thanks to the wiki and forum users for helping us new users through what could otherwise be an intimidating process. My Mac update went flawlessly!

thank you, man! you helped me also!
worked like a charm;)
Really easy...yes maybe a little intimidating if you haven't done it before though :)

Download and install midiOX (available on the fractal support site). Use the instructions in the upgrade document that came with the v.2.01 firmware for the MFC (How to Update.txt).

2. To configure MIDI-OX use: View -> Sysex to bring up the Sysex view window then Sysex -> Configure to configure the buffers.

Low Level I/O Buffers: size - 256, number - 16 (the change is in two places both 32 -> 16)

- in the "MIDI Outputs" box click on your midi device (it should then appear in the "Port Mapping" box. Close this window by clicking "ok"

4. Confirm that you output device is seen by MidiOX by observing the lower left of the main window (it should list your device as the out put device)

5. Click on the second icon (arrow FROM folder to device)......browse the mfc101.syx file and send her up. You will see % progress on the MFC.

Many thanks for this, you saved me lots of time, thanks!!

hey, if you ever have changed the eprom of an FCB1010 you will LOVE the easiness of updating the MFC *lol ....

Back
Top Bottom