Can Gate/Expander be move effective than Input Gate?

shemihazazel

Fractal Fanatic
I'm polishing some of my most-used patches, and I'm not that familiar with the Gate/Expander block's abilities. When used as a noise gate post-amp, can it actually be more effective than the standard input gate, with better response time and/or natural decay?

more controllable. Slightly different algorithm. It can be more effective in some circumstances especially since you can tell the gate where to listen for the detection but apply the gate somewhere else. you also have the hold parameter which can help hone in repsonse.

Java, can you give me an example of how you would use it in a high-gain patch and where you would place it? I would appreciate it greatly.

Well an example would be how Mark Day uses it. You can have the side chain detection at input 1 while the gate is applied after the amp.

Cliff stated in the past that it isn't really necessary with the axefx because the amp models do not generate self noise. So you can poly the gate before and there will be no hiss.

When I use a gate, I use it as sparingly as possible. I don't really like them and only use them when necessary and make them as transparent as possible.

I uually throw one in at the very front of the chain( when I need on) and it silences everything, then I adjust for hold/ratio etc to get it like I want it
I didn't even know there was in input gate until someone that downloaded one of my pateches asked me why I had a gate on when there already is one in there (my My ZZ Top JCM800 patch has it in there)

I think Mark Day uses a post-amp gate to reduce the attack, particularly in the high range, and to enable smooth transition between notes. At least those are the effects I noticed.

I also didn't initially know there was an input gate, and haven't used a gate in the chain since I found out. In the Rocktron Chameleon and such, the Hush is pre-gain. It's the first thing in the chain.

I've been curious about this as well. The typical "analog" "djent" tone setup is comp > gate > overdrive > gate > amp. I don't really see a NEED for it with the AxeFX 2, but still, if you can improve your tone gotta try right! I just don't know HOW it could help my tone...

Back
Top Bottom