Can Axe FX II produce these sounds/settings?

I'm saving the money up for an Axe FX II / MFC / FRFR system, and was wondering how hard it would be to get my current sound before I go off on tangents making new sounds.

When I get the AFX, I plan to first create my current setup as a preset, and use scenes to do switching I've never been able to do. Bank A will start with that preset in Mono, Bank B same preset setup for Dual Mono, and Bank C same preset in Stereo. That way I can easily be configured for any live setting I come across.
Only after I do those three presets will I really get into new sounds.

Anyway, to the reason for the post, my current live rig is:

Guitar:
Boss DD6 Delay (always set to WARP mode)
Boss NS2 (input), Boss NS2 (send)
Boss PH3 (my slow phase)
EHX Small Stone Nano (fast phase)
EHX Freq Anal
EHX Soul Preacher
Korg Pitchblack (tuner)
Boss PS5 (only used to whammy up 1oct or down 2oct, fast or slow depending on the effect i'm going for, and in T. Arm mode to pitch shift up a 4th then come back down and sounds like a vibe as long as I hold it down)
Boss OC3 (for polyphonic 1oct follower, fill out sound/heavy riffs)
Amp input, Amp Send, Boss NS2 Return, Boss NS2 out
Boss BF3 (always set to momentary mode)
TCE Transition Delay
EHX DMMwH Delay
EHX Superego (sends to EHX Worm (cheap phase), then to EHX Pulsar (sq wave tremolo), then to TCE SCF (chorus))
AMP return

I know most of the effects will be easily replicated. What I'm worried about is the way I use the DD6, PS5, BF3, and Superego.

The DD6 stays on Warp with volume and feedback at 0. The pedal is always on. No delay is heard until I step on the pedal (momentary) and it turns the volume and feedback up to 100. So it's instant delay that disappears as soon as I move my foot.

The PS5 I mostly use for whammy up and down, but I do it without an expression pedal. I do it based on momentary footwork also. The chorus sound using the T.Arm mode I could replace with a chorus, but I still love that waver I can get out of a mode that people tend to believe is useless on this pedal.

The BF3 is my 80s jet flange sound used only in momentary. Can that be done with an MFC-101?

Lastly, the Superego itself. I use it mostly momentary or latch. Don't like it following me. I just like Pink Floyd-ish backing synth sounds...

I have read here how some people are unhappy about the whammy sounding hollow or flange-ish, I don't see that being a problem I would care about.

https://soundcloud.com/paul-english-4

If you want to hear my stuff, to get an idea of how I sound. Scroll to the bottom, the song irrelevant will give you the DD6 sound I get, and Failure to Communicate has the PS5 T.Arm all through out it.

Losing any of these abilities would not be a deal breaker, but expect to see me asking for help as soon as I am able to purchase, lol.

On a side note, does splitting coils during playing cause sound levels to drop because I read that the AFX is sensitive to pickups.

Last edited:
The DD6 stays on Warp with volume and feedback at 0. The pedal is always on. No delay is heard until I step on the pedal (momentary) and it turns the volume and feedback up to 100. So it's instant delay that disappears as soon as I move my foot.
Doable on the Axe.

The PS5 I mostly use for whammy up and down, but I do it without an expression pedal. I do it based on momentary footwork also.
Pretty much any effect can be set up to accept a switch instead of an expression pedal.

On a side note, does splitting coils during playing cause sound levels to drop because I read that the AFX is sensitive to pickups.
That'll drop your levels on the Axe-Fx, on a "real" amp, and on just about anything that you'd plug a guitar into. The only exception is when you're running with so much gain that it doesn't matter what your guitar sounds like. :)

When I get the AFX, I plan to first create my current setup as a preset, and use scenes to do switching I've never been able to do. Bank A will start with that preset in Mono, Bank B same preset setup for Dual Mono, and Bank C same preset in Stereo. That way I can easily be configured for any live setting I come across.

I would personally go with the lowest common denominator. Rather than configuring for those setups just run in mono. You know that every PA system will be able to pump you in mono. No questions there. If you do setup up stereo presets you'll have to adjust when you come across mono PA setups. I leave the stereo setups for the studio.

My idea is to eventually make all my sounds in all three ways. When I set up PA's, I always do stereo (unless a power amp goes out and forces me to go mono). The dual mono will be a back up in case I start having any problems with phase when I try setting up stereo. If I have the ability to go true stereo, I would rather go for it, as I've never been to a local show in Mississippi and ever seen anyone go stereo.

My idea is to eventually make all my sounds in all three ways. When I set up PA's, I always do stereo (unless a power amp goes out and forces me to go mono). The dual mono will be a back up in case I start having any problems with phase when I try setting up stereo. If I have the ability to go true stereo, I would rather go for it, as I've never been to a local show in Mississippi and ever seen anyone go stereo.
Perfectly valid. Though you can save yourself a third of the work by eliminating the dual-mono presets. Your mono presets are already dual-mono.

If you can find a copy of the old 1.9 version of Axe-Edit, it will run without the unit connected.
That will give you a sense of the experience.

But uninstall it and spray RAID (bug killer) in your computer prior to installing the 3.0 version
Seriously... maybe even install it to a different computer than the one you'd install the new version on for production work.

If you can find a copy of the old 1.9 version of Axe-Edit, it will run without the unit connected...But uninstall it and spray RAID (bug killer) in your computer prior to installing the 3.0 version
Seriously... maybe even install it to a different computer than the one you'd install the new version on for production work.
I've been running them side-by-side (I have a II and an Ultra). Is that a bad idea?

Hi Rex,

I was perhaps being a bit too cheeky. As we all know, there were problems with the 1.x version
As the person responsible for customer and artist support, I really had more than my fill of the problems with that version.

A number of people run both versions today. I just don't want a new potential Axe-Fx fan to get the wrong impression based on the retired version.
3.0 is a thing of beauty.

-m@

Thanks for clarifying, Matt. I totally get your reluctance to perpetuate the frustration.

Back
Top Bottom