Can AX8 stop start Reaper playback?

alan11

Hi,
Can the AX8 stop/start playback on Reaper? I understand AX8 its not an audio interface but thought it can do this

These are the steps I use on AXE FXII & MFC to do this.
  1. Set IA switch number 8 is set to "none" on MFC so its free for Reaper function
  2. I don’t use any special MIDI mapping, MIDI channel is 1
    Ignore redundant PC is ON
    Send realtime sysex ALL
    USB adaptor mode ON
All works job done.

On the AX8 I setup following (same as I would with Axe FX II)

upload_2016-4-25_23-13-40.png

But when I go to "Actions" on Reaper and tap any switch on Ax8 (switch 6 for example) nothing happening

Are there specific settings I need to do on AX8 for Reaper to recognise it and understand the MIDI CC from it?

I tried sw6 as "per preset" and "global" and nothing happening

Fractal bot and Ax8-edit working fine
thanks

From what I get reading the manual is that the ax-8 only sends pc and sys midi commands, the mfc will send cc commands.

The AX-8 will receive clock, pc, cc and sysex through usb, but will only send pc and sysex from what I have read

The AX-8 will receive clock, pc, cc and sysex through usb, but will only send pc and sysex from what I have read

thanks for the info - unfortunately I don't really know a lot on the MIDI side...... I'm guessing Reaper needs CC and not PC?

Page 81 of manual has this?

I/O: CONTROLLERS PAGE

The CTRL page of the I/O menu allows you to map PEDALS or MIDI CC# messages to various AX8 functions. CC# messages can be sent by a MIDI controller or computer connected to the AX8 MIDI In jack, or via the USB connection of the AX8. Each of these settings is global.

In every case, the method for mapping a controller to one of these functions is the same:

1. Use the NAV knob to select the desired function.2. Use the VALUE knob to assign a controller to the function: PEDAL1, PEDAL 2, MIDI CC (1-127), or NONE.

Page 81 of manual has this?

I/O: CONTROLLERS PAGE

CC# messages can be SENT BY a MIDI controller or computer connected to the AX8 MIDI In jack, or via the usb

Sent by a midi controller, This means the AX-8 will receive these commands, not send. and I think on the send side for pc commands it will only send 128.

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

You can use the 'Classic' version for free. Used it with Reaper a while back and worked great. You can convert the AX8 PC commands to CC# or Keystrokes. The only reason I went to 'Ableton' for our backing tracks was 'Reaper' does not start immediately when the play command is given, even when launched from the laptop itself.

In the current firmware, the AX8 will only send MIDI PC messages per scene, and only via the MIDI Out port (NOT via the USB).

Sending MIDI CC, MIDI Clock, or MIDI notes is not currently supported.

The AX8 will receive MIDI PC, MIDI CC, and MIDI Clock from the USB or MIDI in port.

I would love to see the "AX8 as a MIDI controller" features expanded.

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

You can use the 'Classic' version for free. Used it with Reaper a while back and worked great. You can convert the AX8 PC commands to CC# or Keystrokes. The only reason I went to 'Ableton' for our backing tracks was 'Reaper' does not start immediately when the play command is given, even when launched from the laptop itself.

thanks for info - checking out this option Moke.
I downloaded miditranslator (using the AFX II as MIDI-USB interface to laptop for now) and the incoming part looks ok
upload_2016-4-26_23-8-47.png

upload_2016-4-26_23-9-18.png

what do I set the MIDI out device to be, so that reaper can use this as an input?
upload_2016-4-26_23-11-21.png

Any idea on what the output format should look like for a MIDI CC command? anyone will do for me to check this out...

upload_2016-4-26_23-10-46.png

Side note: - page 94 of the AX8 manual states it can transmit CC and PC?
upload_2016-4-26_23-14-2.png

There has to be a typo because in that same chart just above what you have linked it shows only to be able to receive control change messages. reading in the manual it only mentions how to send pc messages 1-128 on a per scene basis(no mention of setting up cc's per scene).

There are typos in the AX8 manual as well as in a tooltip in AX8-Edit, both which indicate that MIDI CC's can be sent from the AX8. In reality there is no place in the AX8 or AX8-Edit to select MIDI CCs per scene, and there is no MIDI Block (the FX8 has per-scene CC as well as MIDI Blocks).

@alan11, on a Mac the solution would creating an IAC (inter-app) MIDI bus in the Audio/MIDI Setup Utility. I'm not sure if Windows has a built-in equivalent, but I'm guessing that Bome's documentation addresses sending "translated" MIDI to other apps on the same machine.

Thanks all for the info – going to abandon ship on this I think.
No CC send on scene make its more tricky – so need to change preset every time I want to send a PC.

Hoping that the AX8 gets some more MIDI functionality in future updates.

Unfortunately - the small typos/details in the manual/Axe edit turn out to be very important, one of the primary reasons I was getting this was to leave FXII at home on smaller gigs but still have the MIDI CC capability.
Not to worry – it’s a great unit with enormous flexibility in many other areas

Back
Top Bottom