Cabs, What does "Specifically intended to be used in mixes in the box" mean?

df925

Hey guys,

I was looking at the Cab: all models in the Axe Fx II Wiki, and saw this description on some of the cabinets, specifically Cabs 158 - 179.

What does "Specifically intended to be used in mixes in the box." mean? Are these cabinets mic'ed to be very dry?

thx
Davis

I'd guess the opposite actually. I noticed 158 for example is a "room mix", so I'd suspect it's more wet... I'm guessing "Specifically intended to be used in mixes in the box." means "use it to add some air and ambience to a more traditionally close mic'd sound".

The Cab IRs to be used in ..."mixes in the box" means these IR's were designed to be mixed with another IR and combined as a single Cab IR. For example, in Cab Lab, you could mix stock cabs 172 and 174 which are Mesa Recto cabs that were recorded with a Royer 121 and Shure SM57 respectively. The new "mixed in the box IR" would have a mix of the separate Cab IRs (R121+SM57).

Similar theory to using stereo cabs. You could also use the stereo cab feature in the cabs module to create a simple "mix" of two IR's. Note that the stereo cab default slightly pans IR's, one on the left and the other on the right.

The Cab IR's that say "Mix" have a similar result in that the "Mix" IR is a mix of speakers/mics/cabs.

It could possibly come from recording, mixing, and master of music all inside the computer "box". This is in contrast to using outboard gear such as analog or digital processors or summing boxes or tape recorders.

My interpretation is that "mixes in the box" means intended to be used for a mix in a recording: rather than for performance through FRFR. EQ and resonance choices for a recorded mix are often not also optimal for performance. Of those among the 158-179 cabinets I've played with: found them to be rich and complex, and have more of the room baked in. They can be jacked around nicely with EQ in post if need be - flexibility at mixdown. But that spacial aspect that sounds great in a recording probably doesn't often translate as well to live: It can sound veiled in a performance space, compromising the visceral immediacy and focused punch that cuts through; which a simpler, close miced IR excels at (especially at high gain). It depends what you're after: The 166-171 Rumbles do nicely for cleanish or ambient material: As always: Let thy ears be thy guide.

Last edited:
Mixing "in the box" usually means using a DAW and plugins vs. an analog mixer and analog (and digital) outboard gear.

I'm not sure why an IR would be specific for mixing though. What frequencies work in a mix is usually dependent on all the other tracks.

My interpretation is that "mixes in the box" means intended to be used for a mix in a recording: rather than for performance through FRFR. EQ and resonance choices for a recorded mix are often not also optimal for performance. Of those among the 158-179 cabinets I've played with: found them to be rich and complex, and have more of the room baked in. They can be jacked around nicely with EQ in post if need be - flexibility at mixdown. But that spacial aspect that sounds great in a recording probably doesn't often translate as well to live: It can sound veiled in a performance space, compromising the visceral immediacy and focused punch that cuts through; which a simpler, close miced IR excels at (especially at high gain). It depends what you're after: The 166-171 Rumbles do nicely for cleanish or ambient material: As always: Let thy ears be thy guide.
How would any IR foresee what frequency curve is needed for a cab to sit well in a mix? Makes zero sense

They are included as user cabs in the firmware zip file.

I just checked, they are not in there. The UltraRes samples that are there are the old Ownhammer and The Amp Factory samples plus a few FAS samples, none of the factory cabs that are in the XL or XL+ that are not in the Mark I

Back
Top Bottom