Cab Thoughts...

schrismer

Inspired
Hey guys..... what are some thoughts on following is our Cab Block with an IR:

Filter Slope.....6db vs. 12db settings?
PROXIMITY settings....on or off?

For me, 12 dB/octave lets me shave signal with more precision. But user your ears and find out which you like best.

Proximity guides me low-end bump if I want it, as long as as I'm using Mic modeling. But that's a total use-your-ears thing.

I have yet to try the 12db option. For years it was only 6 so when they added the 12 I keep forgetting to try it. I am sure I would love it. As for Prox I leave it set to default. Not something I want to be off

12db will be more precise for the keeping more low end until roll off. Ironically, I find it most useful for instruments that are a bit weak in the low end where you need to preserve as much as possible.I find 6db generally more natural. Try lowering the resonant frequency if low-heavy or detuned material is unacceptably turgid. (Awesomely turgid is best!) I often reduce the resonant peak a couple of db for semi-hollow body guitars.

If the bass tone knob won't do it: proximity may: If the low end is either gutless or too boomy: Proximity can establish the low end and tends to preserve tightness well. A db or two up or down from the default usually does it. High gain leads: usually off. It all depends: I wouldn't completely ignore it, or think one size can ever fit all. It's also cabinet type / IR dependent. Proximity can also be an emergency treatment to survive a blighted PA, where EQ adjustments just make mud: Yah, no easy answers, just more stuff to keep in mind.

Last edited:
For me, 12 dB/octave lets me shave signal with more precision. But user your ears and find out which you like best.

Proximity guides me low-end bump if I want it, as long as as I'm using Mic modeling. But that's a total use-your-ears thing.

I agree let the ear tell you.... I too, have been using 12db and Proximity on..... it just sound better to me (I mostly use Marshall'ish type amps) ..... what I'm wonder is "WHY" do I prefer.... because I don't see a lot of people that share or sell their presets... use them???

I agree let the ear tell you.... I too, have been using 12db and Proximity on..... it just sound better to me (I mostly use Marshall'ish type amps) ..... what I'm wonder is "WHY" do I prefer.... because I don't see a lot of people that share or sell their presets... use them???
A lot of people don't even try them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom