Cab sim on/off, FRFR, Regular cabs. What is working for you?

racetra

Inspired
OK, here is where I am goin with this. I went to my friends house (He uses AXe 2 also). He has FRFR setup with an RCF and an Atomic CLR. I use 2 2x12 Legacy cabs with WGS speakers. I also set up my patches with Cab sim ON. I get a killer sound. What I am wondering is, how many of you do this. How many of you use the AXe as your main rig live and out of you how many are using FRFR as opposed to real cabs....etc...etc.

$1000 a side for FRFR in a 1x12 configuration, how does it hold up in larger venues? I was considering a Matrix 2x12....Lot of $$

Tryin to figure outr what to do next!

There's nothing to do if you are happy with what you have. Seriously.

If you want to explore what direct-to-FOH offers, that's different. Rolling with "FRFR" now for the past 6+ years; it kills but 90% of the time, I run into the PA and use the powered monitor wedges as sidefills or personal monitors.

Think of it this way - if a PA can hold up in larger venues, then your personal "PA" setup for your guitar must match that or USE that to fill larger venues.

I too sometimes use cab sims, and I run a non-flat SS power amp into Eminence speakers. The way I see it is just like applying a bunch of different frequency filters, it can be a good way to immediately clean up all the nasty top end on my lead tones.

The Matrix cabinets seem really overpriced for what they are. I build my own cabinets and it costs me about £70-80 to build a 112 or 212 unloaded.

You know how it is...Always in search of! Scott, what is you opinion on the CLR wedges vs the straight CLR cab.

FWIW, I use in-ears and send the fully modeled rig to the PA.

Using real guitar cabs is an option, but MY personal opinion is that was included in the Axe-Fx simply as an "Bridge" from old to new technology. FRFR systems are the best scenario because of what they offer:

1. Quieter Stage volume (wedge pointing away from audience)
2. EXACT sound you hear is translated to audienc
3. Infinite guitar rig changes/options with 1000s of speakers to choose from
4. No on axis speaker ear bleed to audience
5. Soundguy doesn't have to worry about mics, you don't have to worry about mic placement

etc.

yes, if you're happy with your sound, have a blast. But I think the Axe Fx is the future of guitar gear and I personally embrace that leap forward.

Quick question, I've been reading a lot about a live set up. I'm going to go with the matrix gt1000x. I'm just wondering what's the best option as far as speakers go. With all the new awesome ir stuff going on, I would like to take this route live.

I didn't want to post a new thread since this has been discussed already.

I just want to know what are your favorite/best suggestions for this set up.

Thank you,

Eddi

Hmmm this is an interesting question. I have been using both FRFR and real cab(but a tube power amp).
with the release of the Ultra res cab IR's I've found tht if i turn the presence on my JSX up to about noon and turn the low res down to about 9:00 I can leave the Cab sims on and it no longer sounds fake or "muffled" or "tunneled" (if that makes any sense), so now some of my patches going out to my power amp have cabs off and some have them on. I'm only playing at home volumes so I don't know how this would sound at gig volumes but it's nice to be able to recover some of the Cab IR tone and still have the added 'bounce that you get from a tube amp that
IMO is still lacking with an SS power amp.

OK, here is where I am goin with this. I went to my friends house (He uses AXe 2 also). He has FRFR setup with an RCF and an Atomic CLR. I use 2 2x12 Legacy cabs with WGS speakers. I also set up my patches with Cab sim ON. I get a killer sound. What I am wondering is, how many of you do this. How many of you use the AXe as your main rig live and out of you how many are using FRFR as opposed to real cabs....etc...etc.

$1000 a side for FRFR in a 1x12 configuration, how does it hold up in larger venues? I was considering a Matrix 2x12....Lot of $$

Tryin to figure outr what to do next!

I had the same thought... spent a lot of money and in the end I went back to what was original using.

I couldn't agree with Scott and the others more.

Seriously, if anything... Try before you buy!

Pretty much everything is working for me. But that's because I will dial in the patch set to the rig. The power amp+guitar cab setup was my obsession up until last week but I have been really into playing around with FW13 FRFR tones most recently. There's so much flexibility here you can do almost anything as long as your outboard gear is solid.

RCF ART 722-A here. I love it, but would like to upgrade to 2 CLR's at some point. I do like the fact that I haven't had back ache in years and my rig fits in the back seat of a mini. I have about 3 cables to connect and away I go.

Personally, I can't understand why people prefer cabs over FRFR, besides the limitations of all those lovely IR's that are out there, the audience hears FRFR anyway, once it goes through FOH and the stage monitors are FRFR too. It must be the air moving their pants that excites them.

Fabio, thanks for the post. It sounds like a good option for use of irs is going frfr right?

Have you tried any matrix options?

I switched to FRFR and have no plans to go back. Most gigs have a pa or or too small to unleash the fury of my Super Reverb anyway. If there's no pa I use my QSC K12 as back line.

Back
Top Bottom