Cab packs 11 and 12, FW19 & 5153 100w Red demo in drop-c!

Hi again...

i did a very short quad tracked riff with the EVH 5150 III amp model and the cab pack 12 with the IR : ML 5153 SM57-MD421 02
This sounds NOTHING like yours and why is that?? how do i get from my sound to your sound? seriously, i haven't been completely satisfied with the axe yet, because of this...

I use the axe as sound card via USB
Track in 48 khz in logic pro x

Preset:

View attachment EVH 5150 III.syx

Soundclip:

https://soundcloud.com/jespermyrup/evh-test

Last edited:
Hi again...

i did a very short quad tracked riff with the EVH 5150 III amp model and the cab pack 12 with the IR : ML 5153 SM57-MD421 02
This sounds NOTHING like yours and why is that?? how do i get from my sound to your sound? seriously, i haven't been completely satisfied with the axe yet, because of this...

I use the axe as sound card via USB
Track in 48 khz in logic pro x

Preset:

View attachment 26830

Soundclip:

https://soundcloud.com/jespermyrup/evh-test

Your master volume is on 10!!! I tried that preset and set the input drive to 5 and master to 4 and I could use that patch for recording a clip straight away. I also set the dynamic presence to 0.

Tried your advice and its a good tone for sure (did you use same cab as me?)

But Im missing the "IN YOUR FACE" sound that Guitarjon had in his clip... and you also have that in your face sound in your mixes... i don't. I would be interesting to compare your raw tracks to mine (if you'd bother)

i mean a random quad tracked riff with no mix-master or anything... just raw axe fx tone....

Tried your advice and its a good tone for sure (did you use same cab as me?)

But Im missing the "IN YOUR FACE" sound that Guitarjon had in his clip... and you also have that in your face sound in your mixes... i don't. I would be interesting to compare your raw tracks to mine (if you'd bother)

i mean a random quad tracked riff with no mix-master or anything... just raw axe fx tone....

Sure but I never quad track. I'm more of a double track guy. Like I said, that tone I got by changing those settings gives me something I can record a clip with without post processing. I'll record a clip with your preset soon.

GREAT! I'm looking forward to it. Ill do the same for comparison then... we can do double tracked, doesn't matter as long as we do the same thing. And guitars only right?

Im sure theres something wrong with my settings somewhere of some sort.

Just wanted to add that tweaking has a lot to do with how these things sound. If you like my sounds then I usually spend 5min max on my patches and I create them right before recording. It's not rocket science. I usually use Friedman HBE and it might even work without touching anything at all. I drop the mids to 4 but that's all. Most of my IRs are mix ready after that and no there's no post processing that makes that possible. It's all about shooting the correct mic positions.

andersen's patch was clearly something he had spent time on but you can easily get lost that way. Most amps are designed so that all knobs at noon sounds good. I usually don't go to extremes from that principle unless we're talking about Marshalls. Monitoring is also imporant. Don't tweak your presets if you can't trust your listening gear.

Yeah that sounds right to me... I did use a lot of time, mainly because im never really satisfied. I have better in the room sound than what actually gets recorded. My monitors are Rokit 10 3ways.
But i dont think that MY issue is 100% at the preset. Its as if my signal is lowered, weak or whatever. The sound isnt open and clear like yours. Its like theres a blanket over it. And it isnt very loud... I cant get a mix as loud as yours without clipping.

Anyway Ill get to the recorded clip in the morning so you can hear what i mean...

Thanks a million dude, its so awesome that a guru like you, takes time to help out a guy like me:)

ya sounds great. I never really got into quad tracking, but your doing it right. Every track has a purpose. It makes a gigantic guitar image..

That clip is pumping a little bit.. :)

I only noticed because I listened several times to soak up that meaty guitar tone

ya sounds great. I never really got into quad tracking, but your doing it right. Every track has a purpose. It makes a gigantic guitar image..

That clip is pumping a little bit.. :)

I only noticed because I listened several times to soak up that meaty guitar tone

Yeah I like to quad-track the heaviest parts in my songs.
Tracks 3 and 4 are a lot less loud though, they only fill it up a bit more.
Usually I cut more lows on the quad guitars, sometimes make them thinner.
Depends on what makes it sounds more huge in the song and mix.

Maybe one facet of the "in your face" sound you are chasing, is in the type of pick being used? I use a jazz III, or the modified Petrucci pick, which is slightly larger than the traditional Jazz III.

Yesterday, I was reminded how much of an impact the pick can have.

My daughter spontaneously took interest in learning a few chords, so we each had a guitar in our hands. I gave her a traditional sized Fender heavy pick, and I was using the Petrucci jazz III. She commented that my guitar sounded brighter (we weren't plugged into gear). So I told her it was the picks. Then we swapped picks, and the brighter sound was hers.

So i tried it out and I'm gonna have to eat my old hat on this one... its sounds quite similar. I guess what I'm asking for lies in the post processing. Thank a million anyway. Theres a difference but that could might as well be the guitar, pickups, pick or whatever...

Im just gonna have to look more into mixing;)

So i tried it out and I'm gonna have to eat my old hat on this one... its sounds quite similar. I guess what I'm asking for lies in the post processing. Thank a million anyway. Theres a difference but that could might as well be the guitar, pickups, pick or whatever...

Im just gonna have to look more into mixing;)

That sounds good man!
A lot of gain but it can work!
For my track I didn't add a whole lot of post processing.
Maybe a tiny bit of high shelf from 5k and a slight mid dip around 500hz but that's just to make the guitars 'fit' the mix.
However, I'm a big fan of Slate Digital plugins and I use VCC, VTM and VBC on all tracks.
This adds a bit of warmth, 3d-ness and in some cases a tiny amount of brightness.
However, all these things are subtle so my mixes should give a good idea of how the actual IR's sound!

Reactions: mak
Guitarjon, dude that clip sounds AMAZING! Good job. My question is, could you please share how you got that bass tone? I've been struggling with getting a good sounding bass preset with the axe fx and the one you got in that clip sounded exactly like what I've been trying to get. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom