Cab pack user reviews

I don't think it's an unreasonable request. However, that said, it's my opinion that the quality with the Cab packs is fantastic and consistent. So if you can say that the quality is grade A, then the user ratings are really just showing which ones have been purchased the most. While that will tell you one thing - the question is, is it the question you want answered? These are various cabinets, so a popular Marshall or Boogie cab might get 50x the downloads of a unique, hard to find Fender tweed, but if that's your thing, then does the number of purchases indicate it's not worth it? Or just that it's not a mainstream choice?

I don't know that I've seen any reviews for any of the cabs that was negative. If you are thinking about picking one up, but don't know which, I'd start with the type of sound you want to create, then go for the cab pack which will make it easiest to recreate. Hit up the forums for suggestions for which cab will do it the best. People are great about helping.

There are a bunch of free IRs you can experiment with to get an idea of what the cab packs will offer as well.

I think it would be helpful even with what dwmichaels is saying which is true, but the rating would still be helpful. I think it would increase sales, I know some who are gun shy about purchasing them would be more motivated with a rating system.

Thanks. Your responses make sense. I guess the first question is do the add on packs sound better than
what comes stock in the AXE or are they just different, giving more choice? I notice some say Ultra Res.
Is this better quality or just sales stuff?

Please read what others have said about different packs. This is like saying which is the best ice cream.

Each pack has a huge number of IR's. With various cabs/MIC setups. Each will certainly have something that fits for you.

It's an interesting idea, but you are looking for 'best', when the answer is 'what works for YOU'. Each has it's own strengths, but the bottom line is you are asking for reviews on what someone else's ear tells them; so subjective that it's impossible.

FWIW, I use 90% of stock cabs. We are well stocked there. If you have specific needs (heavy, Fender, Plexi, whatever), cab packs are great and offer some variation. I've bought a few, and found some great uses for them, but it will all come down to you deciding what you need. Also, if you watch some of the video's that tweak each cab, you can bend almost any cab to your uses.

R

Please read what others have said about different packs. This is like saying which is the best ice cream.

Each pack has a huge number of IR's. With various cabs/MIC setups. Each will certainly have something that fits for you.

It's an interesting idea, but you are looking for 'best', when the answer is 'what works for YOU'. Each has it's own strengths, but the bottom line is you are asking for reviews on what someone else's ear tells them; so subjective that it's impossible.

FWIW, I use 90% of stock cabs. We are well stocked there. If you have specific needs (heavy, Fender, Plexi, whatever), cab packs are great and offer some variation. I've bought a few, and found some great uses for them, but it will all come down to you deciding what you need. Also, if you watch some of the video's that tweak each cab, you can bend almost any cab to your uses.

R

I'd be looking for more than just best, no one can speak which is best, but the amount of info those pages have now and the lack of real world usages by the people who purchased them not being shared on those pages is weak. The descriptions should be more detailed than they're now, specifically done in a way that helps those who are newbs pick a pack or packs, and user input could be added "if someone has proof of purchase" with both of those things going on, it will help those who have NO CLUE on what to get. Not everyone thinks like you electronpirate or those who have similar mindsets than yourself, so you might have enough info to purchase those cabs, but I can bet you the bank that a lot of casual and new users will not. I think the OP is on to something, doubt it will get done, probably to much work to cater to the newbs but it would be nice to see that type of detail.

It's far to relative for a rating system to be truly useful.

There are a great number of them available now. The choices can certainly be overwhelming.

It's a bit like using the amp models; your best bet is to limit yourself to a handful, and start with a goal in mind. Choosing is either done with experimentation (pure trial and error, which can be a shot in the dark, and/or based on experience and research) or simply using the common cab/speaker commonly used with an amp and going from there.

Don't stop experimenting, of course. That's part of the fun and learning experience of owning an Axe FX/AX8.

I would compare the Cab Pack store to you going into a candy shop. Sure there are the ones that everyone loves (f.ex. my Cab Packs 7, 8, 13, 18, 19, 20 and after that it's too early to say) but that might not determine which is your favorite candy. Chocolate always works but is it your #1 choice? Who knows? :) I would encourage to read about the real life counterparts to find the cab you're after.

This is a good idea though!

I would compare the Cab Pack store to you going into a candy shop. Sure there are the ones that everyone loves (f.ex. my Cab Packs 7, 8, 13, 18, 19, 20 and after that it's too early to say) but that might not determine which is your favorite candy. Chocolate always works but is it your #1 choice? Who knows? :) I would encourage to read about the real life counterparts to find the cab you're after.

This is a good idea though!
Every new cab pack that I buy from the Fractal store is my favorite at the time I buy it. Just picked up the Bulb Zilla pack and it's my favorite. It's killer!

It looks like my first Cab Pack will be Bulb Zilla. I am going to buy it tonight and see what fun I can have.
Let us know how you like it. Getting used to changing your tone with IR's may have a slight learning curve but it's the most effective tool for sure. :)

I have rarely found that what is popular/highly rated equates to what I consider the "best" tone.

I think it would be more of a mistake for a "newb" (why do we see more and more people wanting things handed to them than to actually learn these days?) to buy something they may not need/enjoy just because it has let's say 10 five star ratings.

No offense to any fellow axe users, but I don't care what you guys like or don't like, I just care about what sounds good to my ears. Likewise, I'm sure my taste in no way influences what anyone else likes.

Do I like a song just because the radio says it's a hit ?

Do I not enjoy a movie just because some critics didn't like it?

Ratings really only tell you what is popular.

Is one 5 star review suggest a product is better than one with four 4 star reviews ?

Does the fact one person loved something mean more or less than five people being pretty pleased ?

I guess if your the guy who loves it, then yes, but what if your own taste is different ?

Personally, I think the axe stock irs give plenty of samples for cab packs. If you love the ML v30 it, then buy the pack, likewise gb's etc.

If you find your loving the tweed cabs, then don't buy a mesa pack, get something with more open back 12".

It's really not that hard to just go through the stock options and take note of what you like and don't like.

Should one wish for more, plenty to buy, but the stock stuff probably can appease most users nicely

I have rarely found that what is popular/highly rated equates to what I consider the "best" tone.

I think it would be more of a mistake for a "newb" (why do we see more and more people wanting things handed to them than to actually learn these days?) to buy something they may not need/enjoy just because it has let's say 10 five star ratings.

No offense to any fellow axe users, but I don't care what you guys like or don't like, I just care about what sounds good to my ears. Likewise, I'm sure my taste in no way influences what anyone else likes.

Do I like a song just because the radio says it's a hit ?

Do I not enjoy a movie just because some critics didn't like it?

Ratings really only tell you what is popular.

Is one 5 star review suggest a product is better than one with four 4 star reviews ?

Does the fact one person loved something mean more or less than five people being pretty pleased ?

I guess if your the guy who loves it, then yes, but what if your own taste is different ?

Personally, I think the axe stock irs give plenty of samples for cab packs. If you love the ML v30 it, then buy the pack, likewise gb's etc.

If you find your loving the tweed cabs, then don't buy a mesa pack, get something with more open back 12".

It's really not that hard to just go through the stock options and take note of what you like and don't like.

Should one wish for more, plenty to buy, but the stock stuff probably can appease most users nicely
I think this nails it. Mikko himself has said the difference between cab packs hes done has never been quality, only content. In a situation like that all a star rating would show is what speaker choice a particular user likes and that doesn't do anything for anyone other than that person. I also feel like theres plenty out there about what's in each cab pack as is, it's never more than a search or 2 away really

Audio clips wouldn't be a bad idea though. I especially like when someone plays the exact same riff and just changes the IR's to really hear the tonal differences in speakers, or mics et al.,

Each users own set of ears is going to be able to "rate" what sounds best to them.

I actually do exactly this when I buy a cab pack. I set up a loop, and using AxeSend (now FracTool I guess its called?) have it automatically cycle through all the IR's automatically, 1 every 10 seconds I believe. I make note of which ones have a tone I like for a given riff/style. I then end up with the IR's that I like and a bunch I can get move elsewhere.

Sometimes I can be surprised at how much I like things that I wouldn't expect and vice versa

Back
Top Bottom