Cab Pack 11 and 12 Released

Just got your new Bass pack, the clips sound great and I have no doubt will add a lot, got the new UNS one too as I'm really digging the Texas Star and figure more captures of that cab will hardly be a bad thing, likely to pick up a few more and I agree with APOGEE123, if it's possible to allocate more space for user cabs in a future FW update, I'll buy more (your last Euro release and the Attic ones are calling out to me at the moment ) - actually Clark has me thinking that a 2nd Axe FX might be sensible - now that it's getting better for bass too!

Thanks for making these available, your timing couldn't be better, as I need to track some bass soon and the new Cab Pack has me much more enthusiastic about it (what is it about bass that makes it feel like a job, even for someone like me that actually likes/loves bass?!?). I guess when you compare it to how expressive and creative the guitar is, it just makes it feel like a duty to the song, or something.

Just got your new Bass pack, the clips sound great and I have no doubt will add a lot, got the new UNS one too as I'm really digging the Texas Star and figure more captures of that cab will hardly be a bad thing, likely to pick up a few more and I agree with APOGEE123, if it's possible to allocate more space for user cabs in a future FW update, I'll buy more (your last Euro release and the Attic ones are calling out to me at the moment ) - actually Clark has me thinking that a 2nd Axe FX might be sensible - now that it's getting better for bass too!

Thanks for making these available, your timing couldn't be better, as I need to track some bass soon and the new Cab Pack has me much more enthusiastic about it (what is it about bass that makes it feel like a job, even for someone like me that actually likes/loves bass?!?). I guess when you compare it to how expressive and creative the guitar is, it just makes it feel like a duty to the song, or something.

That's great to hear. :) I'd love to hear samples once you get something recorded.

I typically use DI for bass tracks. I have been using the Great River MP500NV. it is PHAT!!! i am wondering if i don't use the AXE but instead just use the DI and then run an IR loader with the new SVT cabs from Mikko will that do anything good to my bass tone? or are these IR's meant to be used in conjunction with certain AMPS inside the AXE. Can anyone chime in about that? im sure that both methods are useable i am just wondering if using my DI which has the sweetest bottom end ;) (something i have not been able to replicate inside the AXE) along with the SVT IR's am i better off or not. Thanks!!

The Great River is a top notch Pre and should sound phenomenal with the Cab IRs added (you can certainly A/B the tracks), but may be worth trying a parallel path, split your signal, run one side the way you typically like to for your clean (maybe try splitting that to High and Low for later mixing), then run the other side into the AXE and use it for flavor.

The SVT is the "correct" amp as far as an exact match, since it's a 4-10 Ampeg SVT Cab - usually better for miking/recording then the big 8 -10s (at least I think so), but the Bassman amps will likely sound better through them them and I'm going to try the Twin Reverb with them over the weekend with the PI cut to .5 (now where do I do that?), as I'd been asking about a Dual Showman for bass (a family friend that was a pro touring bassist in late 60s/early 70s said this was the best choice in the 60s for bass before the Acoustic 360 and SVT amps were around), did my research and found out that (like many Fender amps), the Showman/Dual Showman amps were simply Head and Cab versions of the Twin Reverb Circuit, reducing the Preamp Input setting should get it very close to how folks were having their Dual Showmans modded back then.

I do tend to split my bass six ways to Sunday (or 3, to 4 usually), so, while the finished version will be out on an official release at some point, the AXE will only be part of the sound, the other half running through actually Ampegs (though I am leaning towards running those through Clark's new Cabs), but will record some tracks with just the AXE using the new Bass Pack and post some clips - likely to be more classic rock, or 90s alterna-rock in nature then what many of our fellow AXErs are looking for - ehhh, maybe I'll get in an industrial/metal sort of mood too! :p

Have to run, but quickly checked these out in the AXE and bass players rejoice, the future of great bass on the AXE FX is at hand!!!!! Now about that DB680 ...

Great job Mikko I really love those clips showcasing the cab packs especially " I'm so sick " I'm really liking that genre lately . My new favorites are the Marmozets , Becca is awesome ha , love me some female vocalists. anyhow I love the way the bass pops in your clips .
Looks like I'm gonna have to break down and get me a Cab Pack finally . But where to start should I get the latest releases or an earlier release from this ever expanding catalogue of hits ? What do the cab pack gurus recommend for a Cab Pack Noob such as myself?

I typically use DI for bass tracks. I have been using the Great River MP500NV. it is PHAT!!! i am wondering if i don't use the AXE but instead just use the DI and then run an IR loader with the new SVT cabs from Mikko will that do anything good to my bass tone? or are these IR's meant to be used in conjunction with certain AMPS inside the AXE. Can anyone chime in about that? im sure that both methods are useable i am just wondering if using my DI which has the sweetest bottom end ;) (something i have not been able to replicate inside the AXE) along with the SVT IR's am i better off or not. Thanks!!

The SV Bass IRs are an authentic representation of what you should expect to hear after placing these mics with extremely close detail. They aren't made for one specific use case but mostly just following my own theories of what a good mic position is and capturing that sound in a clean way. :) There are no rules really. Personally I find that mixing bass has been so much easier ever since I made these IRs. I stopped splitting signals. F.ex. listen to this clip where I mute the bass every now and then and in the end you'll hear it completely separated:

All that patch has is the SV Bass amp sim and one of the mix IRs that come with the pack. The the SV Bass amp sim does could be very minor. I'm sure that a proper DI going into those IRs can sound equally good. I'm doing some Darkglass tests next week so I'll have more input. :)

Thought I'd post a video to compare the SV Bass IRs through a Matrix Q12 and CFR12 to a Bergantino HD112 and a Mesa Powerhouse 1x12:

Thank you so much for that video! It's so cool and weird to see your own work being used by someone else. :D I like it!

Based on this video it would seem that the IRs work really well with FRFR speakers. I haven't actually tried that. :) Personally I felt like the extended low end from the subkick worked really well when blending just one mic with it but the R121 has a huge low end also so my favorite mixes were using the four mics without the sub so it kind of retains more of that middle bite. Also the E906 D1 IR is probably the best single mic IR. It sounded good even with guitar!

Great job Mikko I really love those clips showcasing the cab packs especially " I'm so sick " I'm really liking that genre lately . My new favorites are the Marmozets , Becca is awesome ha , love me some female vocalists. anyhow I love the way the bass pops in your clips .
Looks like I'm gonna have to break down and get me a Cab Pack finally . But where to start should I get the latest releases or an earlier release from this ever expanding catalogue of hits ? What do the cab pack gurus recommend for a Cab Pack Noob such as myself?

That's a hard question to answer. :D I guess it depends on what you're after.

Cab Pack 7: The cab of my choice hence why I started with that one. It's probably the best cab for progressive rock/metal genres. This was my go to cab until recently. I've been using the 5153 lately.

Cab Pack 8: The cab I always wanted to do since I never heard a bad sound coming from it. It sounds awesome! More Brit. More cut. Crystal clear. One of the big artists on the Fractal list had a choice on which Cab Pack he wanted to use and he chose this one.

Cab Pack 9: The best cab in a mix. It can easily be misunderstood as being weird sounding but actually it's almost genius in design as it doesn't have those bassy lows but more low mids so you get guitar low end that doesn't interfere with the bass guitars. Also it has a lot of 4khz which is essentially the most cutting frequency. I use this cab for modern rock/pop where everything needs to sound clean and tidy.

Cab Pack 12: The biggest low end and that tiny middle scoop that guarantees an agressive sound. I call this the Vintage Modern. It turns some British amps into USA amps for me. :) This is the one that I'm using in all the clips I've done recently. One of the beta testers called this cab "transparent" and it gave a feeling that it wasn't coloring the sound much but letting the amp sim take over.

They're all different in a good way. :) Is there something in specific you're after? What genres do you play?

Just got Cab Pack 11 and Cab Lab. Waiting for authorization and when I get this stuff figured out I'm going for 7,9 and 12 (got 8).

Soultrash, you should be able to request a Paypal Debit card, then just wait for it to arrive in the mail, it's basically a Mastercard that draws from you Paypal balance, so there's no credit check, or anything (and I think they even give you a bit of cash back when you use it at online merchants - like FAS).

Soultrash, you should be able to request a Paypal Debit card, then just wait for it to arrive in the mail, it's basically a Mastercard that draws from you Paypal balance, so there's no credit check, or anything (and I think they even give you a bit of cash back when you use it at online merchants - like FAS).

sounds intereting, thanks for the hint! :)

Hi clark! Long time listener, first time caller here. Any chance of a CK's Greatest Hits cab pack with a few choice IR's from each pack? I'm like a previous poster than doesn't really know which one to start with and a sampler that i could purchase would really help. Thank you and i love your work!

Hi clark! Long time listener, first time caller here. Any chance of a CK's Greatest Hits cab pack with a few choice IR's from each pack? I'm like a previous poster than doesn't really know which one to start with and a sampler that i could purchase would really help. Thank you and i love your work!

That will most likely not happen anytime soon or maybe ever. Obviously I have my own personal picks that I use the most and maybe when I've done all the cabs that I'm interested in I might do a "greatest hits album" but at this point when there aren't that many packs and I'm introducing new ones it would be bad timing. :)

Mikko,
Do you have the resonant frequency for your cabs? I don't recall seeing anything in the cab pack 8 documentation. Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom