Cab in series vs. Stereo Cab

Vitor Mancini

Inspired
Just something that came into my mind and I'm not with my guitar now so I can't test it.

If I run two IRs in two cab blocks in series (both at the same volume and panned 0), is it the same as running one stereo cab with these 2 IRs?

Example:
1 - Amp Block > Cab Block (mono - IR x) > Cab Block (mono - IR y) with both Cab Blocks at the same volume and panned 0.
2 - Amp Block > Cab Block (stereo - IR x/IR y) with both IRs at the same volume and panned 0.

Will these 2 scenarios sound the same?

I might not be understanding what you're asking. You'd want to run the two mono cab blocks in parallel, not series, or you'd be feeding the output of one cab into the next cab block. So, as described example 1 and 2 above would be different. Example 1 would quite likely sound pretty muddy.

No, they are totally different... It would be like listening a CD from a guitar speaker, also known as bad in conventional terms. But it doesn't hurt anything.

The way you phrased that, no. Not the same at all. What you are describing does not make sense really. That would sound pretty bad.

What I think you might have been asking is does 2 cabs in parallel = 1stereo cab. The answer is yes. A stereo cab block is the same as 2 mono cab blocks. It just saves you from going into another row of your grid, and saves some CPU. But as far as running out of one cab into another... that's not something that would work in either the real world or the virtual world.

Edit: Ok. Just saw you r last post. Now you lost me for sure.

Hahaha
Basically I'm trying to come up with a way to use more than one IR in the same cab block but in a way they will sound as used in series.. I think I discovered a way to do this, but it will take some time as I'm gonna need to re-match EQ everything..

Back
Top Bottom