Cab Bundles

Suni

Hi Guys,
I am looking for some advice on which Cab packs I could purchase to build some live (direct to FOH) presets. I'm going to try and provide as much info as I can and am hoping some of you kind people could give me some advice based on your experiences.

My current setup is an AXE FX II + Matrix GT1600FX + Matrix FR212. I just barely went from running 4CM (Mesa MarkV + Mesa 4x12 Recto Cab) to this setup and am really enjoying the new setup. I want to try and get the best possible tones for live (direct to FOH) use. I play Ibanez guitars with passive DiMarzio pickups.
My needs are basically:
1. Distortion (Dream Theater Octavarium, Killswitch Engage and The Contortionist Exoplanet Album are my favorite kind distortion tones).
2. Clean (John Petrucci's clean tone around 5:00 of this vid: , basically the super chorus'y compressed clean, Michael Landau's cleans and also Misha Mansoor's non chorus'y cleans are some of my favorites)
3. U2 Edge style dotted eighths delay tones (I love Dead Letter Circus's delay tones even more lol)

Given the above 3 needs, could you guys possibly reccomend me some cab pack/s that would give me the best possible FOH sound?

As always thanks so much for all the great info provided on the forums!!
-Suni

I'm not sure about the clean tone but for distorted tones I think think ML labs Cab pack 7 and cab pack 13 would suit you really well. 7 is based on the traditional mesa cab which I think Petrucci uses 1 x12 cabs that are the smaller size like the traditional cab. Cab pack 13 is the larger rectifier cab that you are used to. Both great packs and the ones that I always use.

I would highly recommend the Ownhammer MES-ST or MES-TRAD packs.
I believe they will suit your needs just perfectly.
I have some demo's on my soundcloud page too.
One of the Trad demo's (that's also on the OH website btw) does a very nice DT type sound.

Last edited:
Guitarjon, appreciate the advice. I am listening to some of your soundcould recordings, pretty amazing (so crisp!!!) sounds! Keep up the good work!

Btw, I just listened to the "Clean" track on soundcloud. Do you remember what IR's you were using for that? ()

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the clean tone but for distorted tones I think think ML labs Cab pack 7 and cab pack 13 would suit you really well. 7 is based on the traditional mesa cab which I think Petrucci uses 1 x12 cabs that are the smaller size like the traditional cab. Cab pack 13 is the larger rectifier cab that you are used to. Both great packs and the ones that I always use.
This. I'm a huge Petrucci fan myself. That's the reason I shot this particular cab first. I even have IR's that are designed based on famous Petrucci tones in this Cab Pack. Literally listening to Petrucci's guitar sounds and replicating that sound by fine tuning a mic up. One of which:

I strongly suggest you search for all the Cab Pack 7: USA Trad clips. There isn't a bad sounding one anywhere.

Here's the link: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_7_CK_s_USA_Traditional_4x12_p/fas-801-0007.htm

It's my best selling Cab Pack.

I am very new to the whole CAB IR thing and thanks so much for the advice! Mikko I have spent the last few days pretty much checking out all your ML Sound Lab videos, so thank you again for the advice. I am definitely going to try cab pack 7 and also was thinking about cab pack 18 for the U2/Dead Letter Circus type tones...

I am very new to the whole CAB IR thing and thanks so much for the advice! Mikko I have spent the last few days pretty much checking out all your ML Sound Lab videos, so thank you again for the advice. I am definitely going to try cab pack 7 and also was thinking about cab pack 18 for the U2/Dead Letter Circus type tones...
Well welcome to the IR quest! :) The best advice I can give you is to search for clips and trust your own ears. My clips are usually completely unprocessed so what you hear is what you get. I try to avoid tacky sales pitches and let the clips do the talking. :) If you can't find good examples of some IR's it usually speaks for itself.

Guitarjon, appreciate the advice. I am listening to some of your soundcould recordings, pretty amazing (so crisp!!!) sounds! Keep up the good work!

Btw, I just listened to the "Clean" track on soundcloud. Do you remember what IR's you were using for that? ()

Haha I actually meant my other soundcloud page.
Most OH ir's will get you a tone like that no problem.
Getting that tone was not an IR thing as much as the amp choice and eq from the peq block.
You can always start off with the freebie (mesa-st v60 pack) and go from there.
I prefer the v70 in that cab myself but the v60 is great too.
I'd recommend starting with the Mes-st or trad.
Those will probably make you happy and keep your wallet happy! :)

Back
Top Bottom