Cab Block Preamp

Any drive or saturation?
I increase drive until the VU meter stays below 0 under all circumstances, but only just. Adjust saturation to taste (usually 4-6 for most presets).

Though sometimes, smashing the drive can have an interesting effect, or blending a little smashed signal with the dry.

Last edited:
Or you could just run your signal through some analog studio gear. I’ve been meaning to try this for a while. So output of Axe, to a la2a or sta-level (with compression turned down), then into monitors or interface. You could go through a preamp also like neve or api but I love the box tone of the old compressors.. just about anything you put through them sounds better.

Or you could just run your signal through some analog studio gear. I’ve been meaning to try this for a while. So output of Axe, to a la2a or sta-level (with compression turned down), then into monitors or interface. You could go through a preamp also like neve or api but I love the box tone of the old compressors.. just about anything you put through them sounds better.

Kind of negates having it painstakenly modelled in the unit though, no?

25 odd years back I had a relatively low cost CD player for my otherwise pretty high end home Hi-Fi. I never liked the sound of it too much (and kind of assumed CDs didn't sound good), but one day I was recording something to cassette tape on a high end tape deck, and when I was checking levels flicked over to monitor the tape deck rather than the CD source. From that day on I only ever listened to CD output that had been through the preamp and low pass filter of the tape deck (but not through the tape heads of course). Still had all the audio highs and crispness, but was warmer, punchier, smoother, and I honestly think truer to the original.

I haven't tried the preamp in the Cab block, but it sounds to me like I need to, as it could achieve very similar things. Thanks for sharing OP!

Liam

I don’t see the cab preamp as being painstakingly modelled lIke like the guitar amps are. Besides, GAS needs to be respected and Cliff has ruined me from buying and building guitar amps :)

I use the transformer preamp on every single high gain sound I have. It’s just a ‘make this thing sound way better, instantly,’ button for me

I've been using this one and Modern, with Drive and Saturation around ~noon-ish, then dialing in that last little bit with the BMT controls.

I've also found that you can lower your amp's input gain a little, yet still have that saturated gain tone and feel, but with better clarity and note seperation by taking this route.

All in all, gnarly.

Back
Top Bottom