Cab Block: High and Low Cut Settings

100 and 6000 to 8000 depending on what my ears tell me. I play mostly metal/hard rock.

curious what others use for the cab block high and low cut and what types of music you play.

80 and 7500 is my starting point but I could end up with 120 and 6500 depending on the needs though. The link bellow is for some saved blocks from Leon Todd. Id recommend you go into the PEQ folder and try out the live EQ. I tried it out last week live after struggling around with low and high cuts and not really getting the results i wanted. Well and it blew me away! I cut through like never before and absolutely loved the sound. Made it very articulate and seemed to just destroy any flub or unwanted frequency i was trying to get out with low and high cut.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v795vr138dmczny/AACy6qkFEfAfvioLXj40kaKka?dl=0

Last edited:
Depends on the music, amp, and cab, but I generally start with a lot narrower settings. 180ish low and 4.5k ish high. Most real cabs have very narrow frequency responses so I try to mimic that with the idea that "narrower" will fit in the mix much better. I also think my tone sounds more authentic. Perhaps it has less of a wow factor, but I like the authenticity of the tone.

Your results may vary.

The range from 100-7000 is probably close what a lot of folks are using. However, I found that there are a lot of variables that influence the settings for low and high cut:
1. The amp and cab - depending on the general EQ character of the amp and the cab
2. Your picking attack - if you pick harder or closer to the bridge, you generally need to dial in some more high cut to avoid extraneous picking noise
3. Which effects you're using - I find that with chorus and flanger I sometimes have to adjust the low and high cut. Delays can also cause some tweaking
4. What you use for monitoring - If you're using a power amp and a regular cab it tends to be more mid-rangey and bass heavy. When using an FRFR speaker, it tends to be much brighter.

It's always best to use your own ears and dial in what sounds good for you and your rig and presets.

Cheers

I usually keep the cab cuts to a minimum and set pretty much full on. Over time I will usually start to cut the low end to fine tune the mix.

Lo cut at 100hz. Below that hardly make any diffrence I believe. But I still want to leave it to the soundengineer so he can adjust it to the Pa and the room. Even the hi cut I don´t wan´t to cut to low. It´s very easy for the soundguy to cut if needed. That´s better than if he have to boost the highs. Don´t forget the sound engineer! That´s his job.

I generally use 80 and 7500, it depends on the IR, but always in this range... Important to know I use always 3db, or near 3db of Proximity too

With my Yamaha DXR10 lo cut between 80-140 and hi cut 6000-10 000 and proximity mostly 0, rarely up to max 3. I play Stratocaster with Kinman singlecoils.

85hz and 8500hz and then tweak the lows and highs on the global out EQ's. generally have a slight "frown" shape. I play hard rock.

Reactions: JfT
80 and 7500 is my starting point but I could end up with 120 and 6500 depending on the needs though. The link bellow is for some saved blocks from Leon Todd. Id recommend you go into the PEQ folder and try out the live EQ. I tried it out last week live after struggling around with low and high cuts and not really getting the results i wanted. Well and it blew me away! I cut through like never before and absolutely loved the sound. Made it very articulate and seemed to just destroy any flub or unwanted frequency i was trying to get out with low and high cut.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v795vr138dmczny/AACy6qkFEfAfvioLXj40kaKka?dl=0
what is the best place to put live eq from LT on chain? thanks

what is the best place to put live eq from LT on chain? thanks

Yeah I'd recommend putting it at the end so that everything is filtered through it. I really can't play without it now. I turn it off and everything almost sounds muddy to my ear now. I listened to our live performance in a venue where I've played dozens of times and I could pick out all my parts way better because I was cutting so much more. I seriously recommend it!

I usually put that block directly after the cab and before any time based effects, but it will work equally well at the end of the chain. It's pretty effective if you're using the AX8 with a solid state power amp and a guitar cab too.

Thanks Leon for all of your advice - all shared freely without ego !!

I am new to Fractal and setting up my new AX8 for gigging this weekend

I have downloaded your Live PEQ file- excuse my ignorance but how do I load it in to Ax8 edit so I can put it into a chain ?

thanks

Nick

Reactions: JfT
Thanks Leon for all of your advice - all shared freely without ego !!

I am new to Fractal and setting up my new AX8 for gigging this weekend

I have downloaded your Live PEQ file- excuse my ignorance but how do I load it in to Ax8 edit so I can put it into a chain ?

thanks

Nick

Leon Todd has a video that helped me with that too. If you go to the very very end of the video he highlights what to do. In short you go into Documents, Fractal audio, AX8, blocks, then drag or copy over the folders Leon provided in his link. Then you can open them in ax8 edit under the blocks library tab.

Back
Top Bottom