CA Internet Tax = AxeFX for $2,793 plus shipping now??

This is the new way politics are done. Make it law and then force people to fight it. Guess that old adage of easier to ask forgiveness than permission applies here as well.

Yes, I have noticed this disturbing trend. It's like they are begging for a second civil war, or worse.

Those who don't vote have no RIGHT to complain.

Secure your rights, go vote, and THEN you can complain all you want!

Those who don't vote have no RIGHT to complain.

Secure your rights, go vote, and THEN you can complain all you want!

Hey I'm not one to argue about politics but why vote if both sides of the coin are resulting in the same amount of money? Heck if you voted, you have no right to complain and here's why. You voted for a person right? If that person does some real damage, its your fault for contributing in voting in Dr destructo over there. I didn't vote for that person. So, I get to complain :lol
Sometimes comedians make sense, even if they normally are bad choices for role models and decision making 99.99999% of the time. And if you round it off, that makes it ALL THE TIME. So I guess my reasoning is invalid also. :lol
RIP George Carlin.

Last edited:
Hey I'm not one to argue about politics but why vote if both sides of the coin are resulting in the same amount of money? Heck if you voted, you have no right to complain and here's why. You voted for a person right? If that person does some real damage, its your fault for contributing in voting in Dr destructo over there. I didn't vote for that person. So, I get to complain :lol
Sometimes comedians make sense, even if they normally are bad choices for role models and decision making 99.99999% of the time. And if you round it off, that makes it ALL THE TIME. So I guess my reasoning is invalid also. :lol

If you chose not to decide you still have made a choice. "Rush"

You choose to let other choose for you. If you are not going to contribute to society, then you have no room to complain when society goes to shit, because your lack of action may have very well allowed the events that turned it to shit to happen. You had a chance to complain, you had a chance to influence the outcome, but you chose inaction.

And, I voted for the other idiot. It may not have been the better choice either, but at least it was MY choice, and I didn't let others choose it for me.

Think for yourself; question authority. "Timothy Leary"

If you chose not to decide you still have made a choice. "Rush"

You choose to let other choose for you. If you are not going to contribute to society, then you have no room to complain when society goes to shit, because your lack of action may have very well allowed the events that turned it to shit to happen. You had a chance to complain, you had a chance to influence the outcome, but you chose inaction.

And, I voted for the other idiot. It may not have been the better choice either, but at least it was MY choice, and I didn't let others choose it for me.

Think for yourself; question authority. "Timothy Leary"

True enough Guitar Tiz :).
I wonder what form of government is the most effective...

First, IF (and that is a big IF) Tone Merchants qualifies as nexus for Fractal Audio (which means that Fractal Audio has presence in the state) then Fractal would be required to collect and remit sales tax ONLY on orders shipped to California. This is independent from sales made directly through Tone Merchants. My GF is a soft sculpture artist and has several authorized resellers in California so we are also looking into this as I've read in some places that simply having an entity that takes orders and acts as a middle man can be enough nexus to require you to collect sales tax. Here is a snippet from a news site:

Then in 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota that a business had to be physically present in a state before it was required to collect tax. Merely shipping into a state isn’t enough but a warehouse, showroom or office in the state is. Even an agent in the state taking orders, assembling merchandise, or making deliveries can be enough.

Some are of the opinion that this is in violation of the interstate commerce act but the above mentioned case ruled in favor of the states IF the company has a presence in the state. It was stated in one legislative analysis that this could affect Yahoo Stores, eBay, and any other California ecommerce platforms.

First, IF (and that is a big IF) Tone Merchants qualifies as nexus for Fractal Audio (which means that Fractal Audio has presence in the state) then Fractal would be required to collect and remit sales tax ONLY on orders shipped to California. This is independent from sales made directly through Tone Merchants. My GF is a soft sculpture artist and has several authorized resellers in California so we are also looking into this as I've read in some places that simply having an entity that takes orders and acts as a middle man can be enough nexus to require you to collect sales tax. Here is a snippet from a news site:

Some are of the opinion that this is in violation of the interstate commerce act but the above mentioned case ruled in favor of the states IF the company has a presence in the state. It was stated in one legislative analysis that this could affect Yahoo Stores, eBay, and any other California ecommerce platforms.

It's most likely a stretch to call ToneMerchants an "extension" of Fractal. Maybe, but I doubt it. I've never seen the contract between them, but it would really depend on how they wrote that contract as to what their relationship is, and that relationship would dictate how a tax like this would be handled in their cases.

On a side note, Musicians Friend = Guitar Center, and they haven't changed their tax collecting habits YET, or even made a note of it on their site, and there are GC's in Cali everywhere. Their site currently says only in UT, MO, IN, & WA.

On a side note, Musicians Friend = Guitar Center, and they haven't changed their tax collecting habits YET, or even made a note of it on their site, and there are GC's in Cali everywhere. Their site currently says only in UT, MO, IN, & WA.

It's likely due to their structure. GC probably has a Nevada or Delaware parent company and subsidiaries that operate independently...GC stores, MF and Music 123.

in 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Quill Corp. v. North Dakota that a business had to be physically present in a state before it was required to collect tax. Merely shipping into a state isn’t enough but a warehouse, showroom or office in the state is. Even an agent in the state taking orders, assembling merchandise, or making deliveries can be enough.

If this is the case then all FAS has to do is to pull the Cali dealership they have established with TM.

If this is the case then all FAS has to do is to pull the Cali dealership they have established with TM.

I Agree.

The other issue is with small business that are using eCommerce sites located in California but we'll have to wait and see if CA is going to qualify that as nexus and if so I'm sure it will be contested.

Back
Top Bottom