Buying Controller-which one for functions+ease of use???

j8stringer

Inspired
I'm looking to buy a controller for the Ultra. I printed the controller function list but I'm new to
MIDI controllers. The step-through function seems like it would be handy. To cycle through
changes of a single preset ( volume, solo volume, efx in and out). Can any owners weigh-in on
what features are the most important? Also, which of those mid to high price controllers are the easyest to use :? ?? I don't mind spending the bucks, if the functions are good and its not a programing nightmare to get them up and running with Axe-fx.

It seems the controller is a MUST HAVE. I'm looking for about 2 clean, 2 crunch, 4 solo, each with variations in volume and efx changes. Can anyone make a recommendation??

Ground Control, Liquid Ft, Gordius??

Thanks

My vote goes out to the Gordius.
Initially you have to invest in some editing time, but after that you'll be rewarded with state of the art features and ultimate flexibility.

The Gordius and Liquid-Foot are certainly two of the most fully featured controllers out there, and I am sure you would be happy with either. As it generally goes though, the more flexible it is the more involved it is to program. If, as you said, you only need 8 patch changes and a few effects, you may want to consider a simple unit like the Ground Control. It's hard to say ahead of time which features will be most important to you. You could always get a simple (cheap) one to start and upgrade to a more involved unit if/when you need it, and by then you'll have a better idea if you really could use step-through vs. step-hold vs. etc. Hope this helps - as I said, I don't think you will be particularly unhappy with any of the units you mentioned.

Thanks to both for the suggestions. I printed that Controller Chart, very helpful. Do I have it correct, the Step-Through is when one button does multiple things? Like: 1. Vibe on, 2. Vibe slow, 3. Vibe fast, 4. Vibe off. If you just do Preset, then IA for Efx On and Off, with an expression pedal if that Efx needed speed or mod change, then I guess I could go with Ground Control Pro. :)

The controller chart doesn't take into account how easy each unit is to use though. Am I right that the FCB1010 is generally considered pretty confusing to edit, though it also has a really good feature set and the price is fantastic?

I've got an Axe-Fx Standard coming in a few days and depending on how good it sounds (mainly interested in amp modeling) I'll have to get a controller for it but kinda feel that 500€ or more is a bit absurd for some of the MIDI floorboards...

The trouble with usability is that it's 100% subjective. Personally I find the MIDI Mate frustrating, however there are many people who love it. At the end of the day it really comes down to what works best for you, and no chart can answer that question. I certainly feel your pain though - as I mentioned in the other thread, I went through all the trouble to make the chart and I still can't pick one to buy. ;)

Here's an ease-of-use quiz: after learning it's ins and outs, can you program your controller without the manual or any reference notes?

If I'm connected to the PC editor, I probably can for the UnO FCB. Otherwise, I can't -- I need a quick-reference chart.

For my PMC 10 (discontinued), I probably can either way, since the labels on it's external programmer remote are fairly clear and the navigation through different menu options is fairly congruous.

Yea, Angelo120, we do keep hearing about the 101. If I thought it might be a reality soon I would wait. Otherwise the
Ground Control Pro has some higher price features at a lower cost, and there is that great set-up video here to guide you on your way...

Cliff, Cliff, can we hear somthing solid???

Hey Guys,
I'm also new to the midi world, after years of franticly tap dancing on my pedal board i'm finally sick of it, i started looking for an good effects processor and a month or so ago i decided to look into the axe fx, obvously i was blown away, i'm just about to order it and i'm also close to ordering a Skrydstrup SC-1 as a controller, anyone got any opinions of the Skrydstrup? Also i know this might be a stupid question but will the SC-1 be able to control the axe-fx's tap tempo?

Kieran H said:
Hey Guys,
I'm also new to the midi world, after years of franticly tap dancing on my pedal board i'm finally sick of it, i started looking for an good effects processor and a month or so ago i decided to look into the axe fx, obvously i was blown away, i'm just about to order it and i'm also close to ordering a Skrydstrup SC-1 as a controller, anyone got any opinions of the Skrydstrup? Also i know this might be a stupid question but will the SC-1 be able to control the axe-fx's tap tempo?

Skrydstrup is really a high quality build, so it will probably withstand touring abuse more than yourself. :lol:

However, last time I checked the manual for the more in-depth features I weren´t that impressed that I thought it would justify the price. Maybe that has changed since then, maybe not. Maybe it´s possible to get more features, but my guess is that it won´t be for free in that case. Steen (skrydstrup) seems to be quite busy so he will probably expect some cash for any feature you might want. With that said, I believe that there will not be any problems regarding tap tempo CC between SC-1 and Axe-Fx. However I´m not so sure that it´ll will display the tempo on the SC-1 itself. Anyone else knows?

Checkout Voes thread regarding IAs on his Liquid controller... compare those features with SC-1.

/mike

j8stringer said:
Yea, Angelo120, we do keep hearing about the 101. If I thought it might be a reality soon I would wait. Otherwise the
Ground Control Pro has some higher price features at a lower cost, and there is that great set-up video here to guide you on your way...

Robboman wrote:
Since everyone wants blue I'll graciously offer to take one of the non-blue units off of Fractal's hands for 1/2 price.

Someone at the LA show must have asked Cliff and Tom the two most obvious questions: WHEN and HOW MUCH? Did they answer? If the price is in the ballpark I'm sold. Switch spacing is a wee bit tight but I'll manage (size 10). It'd be easy if I wasn't singing while stomping.

I asked these questions, the answer was December, $700, and green only.

Topic review - Buying Controller-which one for functions+ease of use???
Strataxe
Post subject: Re: Buying Controller-which one for functions+ease of use???

j8stringer wrote:

Robboman wrote:
Since everyone wants blue I'll graciously offer to take one of the non-blue units off of Fractal's hands for 1/2 price.

Someone at the LA show must have asked Cliff and Tom the two most obvious questions: WHEN and HOW MUCH? Did they answer? If the price is in the ballpark I'm sold. Switch spacing is a wee bit tight but I'll manage (size 10). It'd be easy if I wasn't singing while stomping.

I asked these questions, the answer was December, $700, and green only

Thanks Straraxe,

I did see that post but thought since it was talk at a show, it could be subject to change.
Time and price are OK, but I was hoping for... PLACE YOUR ORDER HERE (________).
Shipments will start on ** ** **. Somthing so we all could know that they'er
ready to go. :D

Back
Top Bottom