Buying complete Axe FX rig - want to get it right first time. What to buy?

OK,
Probably been asked a lot, but I'm running out of time before I can buy my dream Axe rig so want to get this right first time.

Just want some opinions on my selections:

AXE FX II XL
MFC 101
Matrix GT 100FX
Matrix FR212

This is all from the G66 site as I'm UK based. Not very imaginative but will this be a good rig?

Any other recommendations?
I have searched, but I have a deadline and can't spend all my time researching this.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give me.

Looks to me like you've got it covered. (that was a GT 1000FX, wasn't it?)
If there's any money left over, consider a second FR212 cab. (stereo is king!)

If you aren't gonna use it live, the rig up there is very overkill. But if live and professional situations, spot on!

You'll need a midi interface and a midi cable or two. Also need a cable to connect the Axe to the MFC like an ethercon or other.

I use a Mesa Simul class 2:90 power amp and love it. You can even colour the sounds with a modern, deep, or modern/deep blend that sound great. I run two 4x12 mesa guitar cabs and two Mesa Bass cabs out of it (plus my monitors out of my pre amp) and wow its sounds awesome.

I use an apogee ensemble thunderbolt as my preamp and over and above great recording quality my Monitor sound has vastly improved over directly plugging into the Axe.

Either way you should be fine though. Enjoy sir!

Thanks so much for the helpful responses everyone.
I'll be using this rig live mainly, plus a bit of studio work.
It looks like the MFC 101 MK III has direct interconnection with the Axe Fx 2 XL so no midi interface required. Please correct me if wrong.

The idea of 2 FR 212's sounds exciting and the budget will allow too :)
Will definitely get 2 or 3 expression pedals too

And yes, I meant GT1000 not 100!

Thanks

You'll need a midi interface and a midi cable or two. Also need a cable to connect the Axe to the MFC like an ethercon or other.

Ah really? I thought that a cable came with the MFC-101? I emailed Sussi about this a while ago and she said they ship the MFC with a 5m XLR able.

A couple of options to consider here, that made my rig (and many guys rigs) much nicer to use for just a little bit of money..

1. A custom connection interface. If your gear is in a rack (which I assume it should be) this saves you going in the back to plug stuff in every time. Makes setup fast and easy. Vafam Sound - Connector Adapters

2. Custom magnetic labels for your MFC-101. Don't put tape all over that pretty piece of gear. GigWrx

3. Assume you already have or will not be using a power strip like a Furman? More for convenience, but with the AXE and the Matrix, you might consider putting this in a 4 space (Furman, Axe, Matrix, Interface panel)

Feel silly suggesting that last one. I mean, if your a gigging musician dropping like 5 or 6K on a rig, you know all of this. But... you asked... :mrgreen

also... you said DREAM Rig... so...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/60819-first-ever-extension-module-mfc-101-a.html

MFC extension - with this many options and all that power those 4 extra switches will come in handy.

Last edited:
Newbie question ... The midi cable comment ... I got a DMX cable to use with the fastlink option ... I figure since they are more for data than a mic cable .. It should work fine ... Anybody know if this assumption is wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newbie question ... The midi cable comment ... I got a DMX cable to use with the fastlink option ... I figure since they are more for data than a mic cable .. It should work fine ... Anybody know if this assumption is wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should be no problem at all.

Å
OK,
Probably been asked a lot, but I'm running out of time before I can buy my dream Axe rig so want to get this right first time.

Just want some opinions on my selections:

AXE FX II XL
MFC 101
Matrix GT 100FX
Matrix FR212

This is all from the G66 site as I'm UK based. Not very imaginative but will this be a good rig?

Any other recommendations?
I have searched, but I have a deadline and can't spend all my time researching this.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give me.

I recommend i ...... I mean, you, have some fun with that setup :D

Back
Top Bottom