Buy Axe-Fx III?

I would recommend comparing listening through your studio monitors alone, then plugging one of your amps in using 4CM method and listen to both together.

I find listening through studio monitors alone (fine for mixing purposes) leaves me a bit wanting, so I went with FRFR which sounds great with my monitors.

I guess what I'm saying is don't write the AxeIII off too quickly without listening to it moving a LOT of air first.

I am considering buying an Axe-Fx III and would like some opinions. My current setup:

Amp heads - Mesa Mini Rec, Peavey Classic 20
Effects - noise gates, autowahs, phaser, flangers, tremolo, delay, overdrives, compressors, octaver, synth...22 effects in total
Rivera Rock Crusher Recording - used to connect the amp heads to the input device
Input Device - Steinberg UR242
DAW - Pro Tools
Computer - PC

This setup is only used in a studio environment. I was thinking of selling everything and buying an Axe-Fx III (I'll have more than enough after selling everything).

Here are my questions:

1. Can an Axe-Fx III alone be sufficient for recording guitar and bass? Is anything else needed?
2. Do I still need the Steinberg or can the Axe-Fx III be the input device for my DAW (I'll keep the Steinberg for recording vocals)?
3. Any issues with recording bass with the Axe-Fx III?
4. Finally, do you think this is the way to go? I'll save a ton of space, which my wife would be most happy about, since the studio is in our home.

Appreciate any responses.
I have a Revv g20 head, a Marshall JCM 900, Marshall DSL 100H a Marshall MX412 and a Marshall MX212. I just got the package deal. The Axe FX3, FC 12, and foot pedal. Damn I will never look back it is so worth it. there is a learning curve, or at least there was one for me. I have been using Boss multi effects units for over 10 years. Once I got used to how it is set up and how to navigate through it, it became easy. I love it!!! It is so versatile and huge! there are sooo many amps and cabs in this thing and you can buy more!
I use it for my own sounds and use the the tone match block to match bands like Alice in chains, Metallica, Nevermore and it is so close to the actual sounds it's scary. But soooo easy.
You will need either Studio speakers which if you use a DAW you have? or bigger FRFR speakers. I got an "Alto TX215" they were the cheapest and made in America. I started with one and then found one for half price used. Again GO FOR IT!!! you will NOT regret it.

I am considering buying an Axe-Fx III and would like some opinions. My current setup:

Effects - noise gates, autowahs, phaser, flangers, tremolo, delay, overdrives, compressors, octaver, synth...22 effects in total
Rivera Rock Crusher Recording - used to connect the amp heads to the input device
DAW - Pro Tools
Computer - PC

This setup is only used in a studio environment. I was thinking of selling everything and buying an Axe-Fx III (I'll have more than enough after selling everything).

Here are my questions:

1. Can an Axe-Fx III alone be sufficient for recording guitar and bass? Is anything else needed?
2. Do I still need the Steinberg or can the Axe-Fx III be the input device for my DAW (I'll keep the Steinberg for recording vocals)?
4. Finally, do you think this is the way to go? I'll save a ton of space, which my wife would be most happy about, since the studio is in our home.

"Buy or buy not. There is no consider." Yoda (if he played guitar)

The learning curve was tough for me so I purchased a subscription to https://classes.coopercarter.com/dashboard They are just short videos to help explain things. And for me they did I learned in two days and now have 17 presets made in one weeks time I just got mine on the 3rd of this month. Oh it was 120 dollars for the Sub that I really did not want to spend because I wanted to figure things out for myself but got to anxious to get to using it so I got it. It did help me completely.

"Buy or buy not. There is no consider." Yoda (if he played guitar)
Hey siin82 go to the Fractal Audio.com Support, then downloads and download the manual it has every setup you can use with it. You will need a connection to your computer. I use the Focusrite Scarlet 2, 3rd gen it is cheap and does the job for me. but I'm sure your is fine as well. And you can use the axe fx with Bass and two guitars at the same time just on different speakers mono. I if you are in a band you could buy other FC's (foot controllers) and route your presets for 2 guitars and one Bass. using one Axe FX.

Last edited:
Oh last thing if you use the Axe fx 3 or FM3 4 cable method through your amp your not getting your moneys worth. They tell you in the manual and in the videos I have watched to disable the pre amps in the Axe fx3(All 270 of them) and cabs (all 1000 of them) while using this method. because you will damage you Physical amps tubes. You will only be able to use it for effects and if that is the case for you keep what you got. The sounds I am getting out of this thing are perfect. I play in a cover band with my friends and we play metal and they are so impressed with the sounds I got already. I got Pantera, Megadeth, Metallica, Nevermore and Alice in chains so far and they are perfect!!!
Buy it if you are ok with parting with your other equipment. I would just move it to another room lol.

Last edited:
You will need a connection to your computer. I use the Focusrite Scarlet 2, 3rd gen it is cheap and does the job for me. but I'm sure your is fine as well.
A soundcard is not necessary, unless you need the microphone preamps of the sound card. The only requirement is a USB cable

Oh last thing if you use the Axe fx 3 or FM3 4 cable method through your amp your not getting your moneys worth. They tell you in the manual and in the videos I have watched to disable the pre amps in the Axe fx3(All 270 of them) and cabs (all 1000 of them) while using this method. because you will damage you Physical amps tubes.

You are wasting the versatility and potential of the Axe-FX (AMP and CAB modelers, Cygnus flavor, etc) by using the 4 cable method

I do not understand the second statement :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome.
In your situation, I would get the axe fx immediately, and, if after 15 days I love it, start selling all my other gear.
That way, you’re not risking all the time and effort you put into getting your existing rig together.
In my experience with fractal products over the last 15 years or so, I’ve found that selling on the second hand market, even years later has very little loss. I guess what I’m saying, is do it now! You probably won’t be sorry.
Thanks
Pauly

DAW - Pro Tools
Computer - PC

Here are my questions:

They tell you in the manual and in the videos I have watched to disable the pre amps in the Axe fx3(All 270 of them) and cabs (all 1000 of them) while using this method. because you will damage you Physical amps tubes. You will only be able to use it for effects and if that is the case for you keep what you got.
There is nothing coming out of the AxeIII that is amplified so no, you won't damage real amps tubes. You just may not get the best sound using modeled amp into real amp. In this case you'd just have a separate (Parallel) line on the grid without an Amp/Cab in it, going to real Amp/Cab.

Last edited:
Awesome - this feedback is exactly what I was looking for - thanks to everyone that responded!
Just another point as well, in case no one mentioned it. There is nothing stopping you from recording your vocals through the Axe Fx 3 as well. The effects are stellar regardless of what you pipe through it.

I'll second this. I have bought zero amps and effects ever since I got on the Fractal train. (Started with the Axe-Fx II, now running the III.) Now I just spend my extra money on guitars instead. :D
Me too.

Was just drooling over a sweet Cherry '61 SG Les Paul reissue a few minutes ago on Sweetwater's site. I wish they had a white one with just two pickups....

OP: get one, they are awesome, and Cliff and his small horde of minions are always finding new ways to make it even better....

Hey bud

I went from a JVM410h with effects to a Kemper and loved the simplicity, the lack of cables and the effects on tap; massive saving for effects you only needed occasionally. I got bored of the Kempers development process (too many elements started to become degraded in quality), sound quality (strange overly compensating EQ ruined the frequency) and searching through profiles, so I went out and bought a JVM410h, JCM800, a Silver Jubilee, a few effects with two Two Notes Devices (Reload and Captur). After 2 or 3 recording the Kemper, Pedal and PA was sold.

I was extremely happy with my tube setup but locating it in the room was a nightmare and there was a lot of cabling. It sounded better than the Kemper and I rocked that set up for about 6 months. One thing the Kemper stopped, which I vastly underestimate was with a tube set up, I become obsessed with purchasing new amps for certain sounds (desperately wanted a Recto which in the UK, is the same cost as an Axe), and ended up purchasing a host of effects which I nearly used.

Due to limited space I then purchased the Axe FX3 with the intent of returning it (you know, to scratch that modelling itch) but it blew all of my previous setups out of the water in terms of sound quality.....and I mean out of the water into the stratosphere. The Kemper was hard to get a good recording from that sat nicely in the mix, with the tube amps it was a lot better, more feel and sat great in the mix, but lacked impact (this was probably my mixing skills), but the Axe sounded big, powerful and just plain and simply fantastic.

I sold all my amps apart from SJ and sold a few effects.i have zero regrets.

As for the Axe FX 3 replacing your UR242. I used to have the UR284 and it was a splendid soundcard with great pres (regretted selling it) but I sold it for the god awful Focusrite 18i20. When calculating the use of the Axe FX 3 it needed to replace the Focus so my setup was simplified. After 5 minutes using the AXE as a soundcard I could hear the quality difference and sold the Focus; to be fair once I heard the Axe, I would never have sent it back if it didn't work as a soundcard.

Now going from the UR software interface, which is a great design, to the Focusrite, which is not a great design, was a headache. The Axe is another level of complexity and I/O set up can be a challenge at times expecially when you first use it. However once you get your head around it, it is fairly simple.

There is another bonus with the Axe that I had not considered and am currently exploring.

The Axe makes a great zero latency monitoring device for EVERYTHING. I use it for guitars, I run a preamp in and use some effects on vocals and I run a bass through it. It also works great for processing drums.

Now if you set up the I/O in Axe Edit, you can reamp your guitars, bass, vocals and drums and tweak until you get exactly what you want.

It makes a great and powerful outboard processor. The effects quality is out of this world.

I hope that helps a little, maybe just emphasising what others have said.

Mike

Me too.

Was just drooling over a sweet Cherry '61 SG Les Paul reissue a few minutes ago on Sweetwater's site. I wish they had a white one with just two pickups....
I know. Back in the day I had a ‘61 LP — white, yes — but that middle pickup was always in the way, which was what led to me flipping the guitar a year after I found it. Come to think of it, the sideways trem didn’t really float my boat either.

I was undecided for a while. Had a kemper, it was great obviously but I was unhappy with being reliant on the profiles of other people.
Sold it, got a quad Cortex. Was constantly trying to compare with the fm3 etc prior to receiving it. Got it, was unhappy and got rid of it a week later.
Thought screw it I'll get the axe FX 3. As soon as I plugged in, I knew it was the one. Sound was unbelievable. No comparison with anything else I've tried.
Now, I'm just a bedroom guitarist, I don't need any high end gear, so to be fair I'm constantly thinking, oo maybe I shouldn't have because it's more than I need. But damn, every time I play with it I forget all that. Shall keep me happy for years

"if you dont use the amp sims you arent getting your money's worth"

Simply untrue. There's a very short list of effects units, floor or rack, with the capabilities of the iii. Even if you only bought it for reverb and delay, it would be worth the money.

As you were.

"if you dont use the amp sims you arent getting your money's worth"

Simply untrue. There's a very short list of effects units, floor or rack, with the capabilities of the iii. Even if you only bought it for reverb and delay, it would be worth the money.

As you were.
I completely second that. I use about 3 amp Sims and very few effects. But I leverage the soundcard and direct monitoring of the Axe too along with Reamping various instruments.

Please, stay as you were.

The Axe Fx III is a very useful unit. I use it for guitar and bass, and use it as an outboard effects unit as well. There are some effects on the Axe Fx that are easier to set up than some of the plugins I have. I thought about buying the TC2290, but found that the Axe Fx gets me close enough to not bother with it.

Since I bought the Axe Fx, I haven't wanted to buy any effects pedals or amps, it completely fills all the needs that I have in my studio and live. I'm not sure I really knew what different amps sound like until I got the Axe Fx. I say this because it was rare for me to hear the miced sound of the various amps out there. In the long run it has helped me save money for more guitars.

The Axe is the ultimate piece of guitar gear, the best you’ll ever own. Cygnus blows everything else out of the water as far as tube amp tone. The effects are the best in the business. Every nuance is there now. An incredible piece of gear.

Back
Top Bottom