Built-in tuner vs rack tuner

Yeah i had the tc stuff the cool thing bout axe fx is when you hit the tunner on the pedal it shows on the pedal and its huge as well as the axe fx itself not like gmajor its lot bigger than most tuners usuall are

In the rack that I'm building right now, I'm velcroing a Turbo Tuner (Sonic Research) onto the front panels (i know, it's totally ghetto). It's by far the fastest tuner I've ever used, rack or otherwise. And if I'm halfway through a gig and need to retune, time is crucial. I don't want to have to slowly turn it to have the tuner catch up to what I'm doing. I can run scales with the thing and it keeps up with however fast I go.

I rely on the built-in tuner for stage and rehearsal tuning. In the studio and when doing intonation work I use a Peterson.

Thanks Folks, a lot of concise and balanced opinions. I think I will give the Axe a go and forget the rack tuner as I really don't want any more weight (just ordered a Matrix GT800FX, anybody interested in an as-new Koch MT100 Head ?)
Easier to get better glasses than bigger muscles :)
Cheers S ( o )===:::

I beleive the resolution of the MFC's screen is lower than than on the Axe, thus it appears less precise / choppy in comparison ....

I have two DTR 1000's one all black face and other Silver and both add some noise passing through it. I prefer the Axe's Tuner smoother and more accurate not as easy to see as the DTR but good enough. I agree the MFC not as smooth as looking at the Axe directly.

i had the peterson rack and the axe at the same time in my rake... once i've been able to display tuner on my foot controller, the Peterson became useless. I finally sold it, the Axe tuner is really precise and sensible.

I used a Korg rack tuner - then got a Stroborack with was MUCH beter. Then I got the Axe, but kept the strob cos I had space and could see it better onstage.

then I got the MFC and I not longer have a use for the Strob so it went.

In front of the Rack, the Axe tuner and Stroborack were almost identical in accuracy and speed - so for tuning pre-set or at home the Axe is fine (cos you dont need a hugh display for that). For mid set tunings the MFC is fine - and big - and at your feet. The resolution of the display is not as good as the main unit (as cliff has said) so appears to be less accurate - and slower in response. In fact is is just as accurate - as can be seen when you have tuned the guitar (the main units tuner is bang on when the MFC is) but you have a less smooth action (and it appears sluggish and more jumpy because of the resolution). HOWEVER, as this is for quick, mid set tuning its perfectly useable. Youve already tuned your guitar pre-set, so its small adjustments really, which the MFC is fine for. You can always wonder over to your rack if you need the main units tuner for some reason.

I find tuning vie MFC a problem. I sold my Ultra and waiting for II now, but when i had Ultra and tuned looking at MFC it was way slower then Ultra's screen. So i gave up on MFC tuner and just used Ultra's screen. Nobody had the same issue?

I agree...it's really slow and laggy on the MFC-101...takes longer than it should and you are always second guessing it. It stresses me out actually. Not enough to where I've bought a true rack tuner....but I might.

I wonder how accurate the axe fx tuner is in terms of cents. Any word from Cliff or the like on this?

Might have to find the old forum to look. There was a lot of discussion at one point about this. It's very accurate. Not strobe accurate, but he redid the algorithm for the tuner in one of the single digit firmwares for the Standard/Ultra and it's smack on. I still use strobe tuners for intonation and studio work; but the Axe-FX tuner is very accurate.

I don't like the Axe-FX tuner = it's slow and jumpy. I still use it to keep my rig simple but I much prefer my Korg Pitch Black tuner or even my old Boss stompbox.

It's not it's accuracy I'm concerned with.....it needs to be smoother and lock on better in real time. For live gig situations it could be better.

It's not it's accuracy I'm concerned with.....it needs to be smoother and lock on better in real time. For live gig situations it could be better.
The resolution of the MFC's screen is lower than than on the Axe, thus it appears less precise / choppy in comparison ....

Hopefully folks realize that the MFC readout is a little different than the Axe readout. The MFC is actually a larger scale, so that 1 or 2 of the little "ticks" sharp or flat on the MFC is only just barely above/below the center "in-tune" on the Axe display. When you realize this you don't need to spend so much time getting it "perfect".

I endorse a certain *ahem* strobe tuner manufacturer, but I only use them for lineups, studio, and if I'm doubling on mando or acoustic. The Axe/MFC is easily readable, easy to use once you get used to it, and best of all doesn't require another rack space or something else to lug out on the road.

I do find that TC tuner that tunes all the strings at once pretty cool...

Back
Top Bottom