Building the cab that I wished Fractal would make

Yep pretty nerdy looking. The fun part is when people come and say either, "where's your amp" or "what the hell is that"?

Wow, very nice work!

I did something similar a while back where I built a 1x12 cab and a 4 space rack as one box.
Mine was smaller than your box, and still weighted 80lbs....so I think the size and weight of your box is great.
But now you're making me think of putting one of those BNC's in that 1x12 box I built....hmmmmmmm I feel GAS coming on...

Totally Awesome. I love remix projects like this...

Sort of Like an Axe Specific version of the Atomic Reactors with the POD docks from back in the day.

Nice work! So with all the components (speakers, amps, enclosure, ULTRA and the labor, it must have added up to not far from $5,000?

My solution is an ULTRA with two Mesa Boogie F-30s which actually comes to about $3,500 with a rack case for the ULTRA...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:
Wow that looks very amazing! impressive to say the least! How do you hook it up to axe-edit, foot controllers, outputs for recording etc...

Love this! I am always thinking there has to be a better amp/cab solution and yours might be it! I wonder if using the new 1u Matrix amp you can get the cab down to a 1x12?

I love it! Except for the weight, which obviously can't be avoided, that's one nice looking setup, and everything is user-replaceable. Great job!

I've lurked a lot trying to understand which are my options for an ultra rig. First thing I thought was: why they didn't make a ss full range guitar style cab which is lound enough?
Your solution is exactly what I've been looking for. Impressive :)

Is it possible to have the schematic for your design? I'm in Europe and it will be an hassle to have the cab made in US.

ALso why the crown amps? Just for the weight or they sound good too? Are you satisfied with your tone?

Thanks a lot!

The only thing that is missing from the 1x12/Matrix possibility is a cross over.
Still sounds possible though? Just need to find a way to cross over and then use both sides of the Matrix.
I was referring to having discreet left and right speakers, not the # of amp channels.

Of course, if you, like me, aren't completely sold on having a stereo signal path, then yeah, sure, you could make a 1x12 version. It'll be a bit on the wide side, though, because it's gotta have the width for several U of rack gear. Based on the pictures in the first post, you'd only save a few inches in width. You could use the same cab and save an amp and a speaker in weight, though. That would have the benefit of already having room for an extra speaker and amp, if you later decide you need stereo or just want more volume.

Back
Top Bottom