Building an acoustic guitar patch….

charley

Hi friends,

I’m really enjoying my FM3, and have been recording electric guitar and pedal steel extensively with it since I received the FM3 a few months ago.

I am now working on building an acoustic guitar patch for my D18, and am looking for some suggestions….

In general, I will be feeding the DI from my acoustic pickup (LR Baggs Anthem) through the FM3 and into Pro Tools. I will also be miking the D18 as well, for recording. I always record a DI along with the miked sounds, just to mix in a little added midrange from the pickup.

I will also be using this patch live, into my FRFR setup.

I have a Fet compressor first in the chain, and am liking the sound of the DI’d acoustic. It does, however, still need a bit of refinement to increase realism, and minimize the “DI” sound. How would you guys do this? An EQ pedal? An IR?

Can you point me to a few patches I might download, and also discuss your own acoustic patches as well? Ideally, I’d like to make my own patches from scratch.

An acoustic guitar IR can help you out. The are a few floating around. If you had an Axe-Fx, I'd recommend tone-matching your acoustic sound.

The preamp modeling in the Cab block can add a little body, too.

I haven’t gotten around to making my own acoustic patches yet, but when I had the HX Stomp it would be something like:

studio tube pre - ir - compressor - reverb

I haven’t tried the studio pre in the FM3 yet, but I would start there with that in the chain.

as for IR’s…check out the Sigma3 audio acoustic IR’s. I have one of their Martin ir packs and it’s fantastic. Make sure you read the PDF that comes with them to know which IR folder will work best with your pickup type.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I've messed around with IR's quite a bit and at the end of the day, I have the best luck with the TubePre and using a multiband parametric filter block to reduce some of the annoying frequencies that acoustic transducers produce.

OP here….thanks for your suggestions. I made a preset using the Tube Comp first in line, followed by the Tube Pre. A touch of reverb, and that seems to get me there in style. Thanks for the info!

On the subject, I read through this thread and had a stab at an acoustic preset. Our band plays Floyd Wish you Were Here. I was thinking it would sound a lot better with an acoustic. During the creation of my preset I had a few instances of very loud feedback and was worried for a moment I blew up my speaker. But it seems ok. I ended up with the Shiver Clean, and it sounds better than the Tube Preamp to my ears. The problem is volume and feedback. I tried this at band level and it howled pretty good. Do you guys use sound hole covers for this kind of thing?

On the subject, I read through this thread and had a stab at an acoustic preset. Our band plays Floyd Wish you Were Here. I was thinking it would sound a lot better with an acoustic. During the creation of my preset I had a few instances of very loud feedback and was worried for a moment I blew up my speaker. But it seems ok. I ended up with the Shiver Clean, and it sounds better than the Tube Preamp to my ears. The problem is volume and feedback. I tried this at band level and it howled pretty good. Do you guys use sound hole covers for this kind of thing?
Soundhole covers, notch filters, phase inversion... whatever gets you there. Feedback is the bane of acoustic guitars in a band setting.

Soundhole covers, notch filters, phase inversion... whatever gets you there. Feedback is the bane of acoustic guitars in a band setting.

Yes, I'm picking a sound hole cover at the local GC on the way to practice tomorrow. Notch filters I get, but phase inversion I don't know. The sound hole cover should work. I hope.

Notch filters I get, but phase inversion I don't know.
Feedback happens when the sound from the PA (or your monitor) reinforces the sound your guitar is making. When you invert the phase, you can cancel that reinforcement. If that cancellation happens, the feedback is reduced or eliminated — but you can still get feedback at a louder volume at some other frequency. Sometimes it's a toss-up whether phase inversion will help you or hurt you.

The preamps in some acoustic-electric guitars have a built-in sweepable notch filter and phase switch.

By the way, the FM3 can do both notch filters and phase inversion.

Feedback happens when the sound from the PA (or your monitor) reinforces the sound your guitar is making. When you invert the phase, you can cancel that reinforcement. If that cancellation happens, the feedback is reduced or eliminated — but you can still get feedback at a louder volume at some other frequency. Sometimes it's a toss-up whether phase inversion will help you or hurt you.

The preamps in some acoustic-electric guitars have a built-in sweepable notch filter and phase switch.

By the way, the FM3 can do both notch filters and phase inversion.

I'll see how it goes with the sound hole cover. Thanks for the info. Good to know the FM3 does all that. Pretty badass machine.

I've built acoustic guitar patches without any amp block (cab block, compression, and effects only -- even a wah sounds cool). I haven't played at gig volume, however, so I'm not sure if it will feedback. Several such acoustic presets are on AXE-Change.

Bought a sound hole cover and gave it a try. Got pretty loud but not enough. It’s a big room with lofted ceilings. Lot of resonant frequencies. My guitar just wasn’t having it. In another room it might work. If we hang some panels in there maybe. Fun trying though.

Bought a sound hole cover and gave it a try. Got pretty loud but not enough. It’s a big room with lofted ceilings. Lot of resonant frequencies. My guitar just wasn’t having it. In another room it might work. If we hang some panels in there maybe. Fun trying though.
Loudness has nothing to do with the Fractal. Any decent sound guy can fix this instantly. Hang in there......

Back
Top Bottom