Bugger it. Produce a song for me and I'll pay for the patches.

H13

Inspired
Right. So if you've been stalking me recently (HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA. Wait. You were? Dude. You can do better), you would notice that I've shot my ears and lost perspective on what makes an awesome guitar tone in a mix situation.

I posted a thread asking for cabs and the famed ML Cab Pack 13 was bought up. I tried it and haaaaaated it straight away. In other words, all my instincts are completely out of whack, my ears aren't listening for the right thing anymore so I'm not going to get the results I'm looking for.

SO HERE'S WHAT WE GONNA DO.

I would ask for presets or whatever, but all of those are going to sound like shit to me because my ears are shot. I need to get somebody else to take over the reigns for me, put together a bitching mix of one of my songs with new patches and I'll pay you for said patches.

I guarantee that if I just used your patches without hearing it in a mix, I'll instantly reject it and go: "What is this filth?" which is why I will need to hear it in a big glorious mix of awesome to be convinced. I'll probably still hate the patches until my ears get used to listening for the right sounds again.

HERE'S WHAT I'LL PROVIDE:
- DI Track of all guitars for re-amping
- DI Track of all bass for re-amping
- Synth Tracks (With Midi if you want to re-do them)
- Drums (Again with Midi if you want to re-do them)*

Plus a bunch of songs that I really dig the sound of so you'll have a point of reference.

This is a big ask which is why I'm totally okay with paying somebody for their time and patches. Yes I am aware that using sampled drums is a big issue in a mix, but hey, you work with what you've got right?

What I'm getting at the moment is ice-pick, unnatural sounding, fuckin' weird-ass mids with an awful bass. As I said, I'm betting I'm using crap cab simulations, but until I get some faith in different cabs, they're all going to sound crap to me (which I know they're not).

Anybody up for a challenge?

I'd like to think I play the slowest thrash metal ever recorded. Only downtune to drop D so nothing extreme!

To be fair, this song DOES kinda have a djenty stacatto section (with a tapping lick that blatantly rips off Gojira). However it's been pretty much the only time I've done that sorta stuff. I'm using this song because it's got a few different riff types (standard 4\4 chugging with tail, vaguely odd chords (AKA: Not power chords), a djenty chugga bit etc.)

This song has kinda been more of a demo to get my patches sorted out rather than a "song" as such. It'll serve the purpose.

Dial up a stock patch, say the 5150 III Red patch... What's wrong with it?

Oh I'd love to be specific, but my ears\confidence is so badly shot that I can't properly enunciate what doesn't work for me anymore.

Oh I'd love to be specific, but my ears\confidence is so badly shot that I can't properly enunciate what doesn't work for me anymore.

Are you A/B-ing with a reference track? If not, you'll get used to your mix even if it is going off the rails.

Are you A/B-ing with a reference track? If not, you'll get used to your mix even if it is going off the rails.

Yup. Doing that too. Except that now the reference track sounds "wrong" to me.

Meanwhile, my mix blows goats and I can't figure out why...

Obviously my ears are fried and I've lost perspective.

All the tweaking in the world won't make you're tone good!!! You could have the best producer in the world get your re amps exactly the way you want the but you still won't like your tone because tone isn't just in the amp! It's in your fingers, in your ears, in the way you react to the amp, in your mood!
Just pick the default 5150 iii preset and MAKE it sound good with your fingers! Don't tweak it don't adjust anything at all!!! Make it sound good by adjusting your playing until it sounds good. Assuming you have a guitar that will do metal you should be able to make that preset sound great without adjusting it.
It may not be exactly what you are wanting but you should be able to make it sound very good.
What guitar do you have?

If you post the tracks...maybe....you can sway some peeps here to do a remix album ala White Zombie? But you'd have to be open to interpretation. I'll guess it should go into "The Lounge" forum though. I'd Combichrist the hell out of it.

Anybody up for a challenge?
If you're using a website to host the files, then post the links in this thread. That way you'll get multiple people mixing your song and posting those mixes here. You'll get to hear how different people mix and choose which one you like the most. Plus, it'll open up a discussion on mixing and creating guitar tones that you (or anyone) can learn from. That's my suggestion. And, if I have time, I may give it a go.

ive got a professional studio and a my room is acoustically treated. shoot me the link - would be glad to help you out. send me a PM so we can work out the details. :)

We do this all the time on mixing forums. Just throw up the DI's and link them here.

I totally understand your frustration. I hated all the tones at first because I was going for the amp in the room sound. Once I started tracking I realized I had to think of tweaking the Axe like I was positioning a mic on a cab for recording and everything clicked.

Ambiguous expectations are the key to unsatisfactory tone.

This is so true on many levels.

Especially so if you are the sole song writer, performer, mixer and producer.

Lots of facets to this puzzle that start with the song itself, the arrangement, instrumentation etc. For example, I have found, often times, improvement here can make downstream problems I was struggling with "go away". Just an example having not heard your track.

Hey all. Cheers for the enthusiastic response (and typical fractal forum denial).

Just got back from a funeral and am kinda wrecked. Will deal with this properly later. Have a good one all.

Back
Top Bottom