Bug? Switches in Pedal 2 and Pedal 3 Jacks acting strangely

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
I have noticed that Normally-Closed momentary switches, when plugged into Pedal 2 or Pedal 3, act as if stuck on all the time, and only act 'off' when stepped on. The Switch Polarity adjustment in the I/O -> Pedal page has no effect on their behavior. CLOSED (Momentary Break) and OPEN (Momentary Make) both behave the same way.

Works fine (i.e., on when stepped on, off when not) with Normally-Open switches, as verified by using one of my Mosky switches, which are N-O.

In the FC, a Normally-Closed switch seems to work great, but Pedal Type in the FC Controllers -> Remote menu works backwards - i.e., when set to "Latching" the switch behaves as a momentary, and when set to "Momentary" it toggles.

Not end-of-the-world difficult to rectify - just need to swap switches with the Mosky and my under-board switches, but the software says it is allowing you to reverse polarity, and it doesn't....

They work fine in pedal 1 jack?

I've rigged up my 3 (normally closed) switches but not yet configured them for use.

They work fine in pedal 1 jack?

I've rigged up my 3 (normally closed) switches but not yet configured them for use.

Have not tested this in the pedal #1 jack. I have my Tall Timber slider in there, and it works. I suppose I could test it easily enough. For now, what I did was to swap my under-board switches for the ones in one of my Mosky dual switches, so that they could still be under-board. Since the type of switch that is working in the FC6 is the one that doesn't in the FM9, it works well enough for now.... I'm up to 25 switches, BTW. :D

Have not tested this in the pedal #1 jack. I have my Tall Timber slider in there, and it works. I suppose I could test it easily enough. For now, what I did was to swap my under-board switches for the ones in one of my Mosky dual switches, so that they could still be under-board. Since the type of switch that is working in the FC6 is the one that doesn't in the FM9, it works well enough for now.... I'm up to 25 switches, BTW. :D

OK, so I just tested it in Pedal #1, and that one works, as does the polarity setting. I can flip the sense of the switch in software just fine on #1.

#2 and #3, not so much....

This doesn't bode well...

PDL 1 jack works correctly with a tip/sleeve connected normally closed momentary switch, with toggle & hold features?

Are PDL jacks with these switches being used as stand-in switches? Have you configured PDL jacks 2 & 3 also for stand-in?

This doesn't bode well...

PDL 1 jack works correctly with a tip/sleeve connected normally closed momentary switch, with toggle & hold features?

Are PDL jacks with these switches being used as stand-in switches? Have you configured PDL jacks 2 & 3 also for stand-in?

Temporary issue. The firmware says it can flip to work witn NC or NO. It just doesn't work on 2 and 3. It is 1.0, so improvements and bug fixes will come....

Last edited:
Temporary issue. The firmware says it can flip to work witn NC or NO. It just doesn't work on 2 and 3. It is 1.0, so improvements and bug fixes will come....
So let me get this straight...PDL 1 jack is currently the only tip/sleeve jack that accepts stand-in switches?

I think my problem is that the restaurant on the moon is what is the issue...great food, but no atmosphere...ergh.

So let me get this straight...PDL 1 jack is currently the only tip/sleeve jack that accepts stand-in switches?

I think my problem is that the restaurant on the moon is what is the issue...great food, but no atmosphere...ergh.

#2 and #3 work if you have normally-open switches, like a Mosky Dual Switch (when split via an insert cable adapter).

The firmware has a setting to switch to use either normally-open or normally-closed switches, and it works on the Pedal #1 jack, but does not on #2 and #3 currently.

The same switch which doesn't work in #2 and #3 works in #1, and if you have it controlling a momentary switch, you can flip the setting and watch it switch the parameter value.

Seems to be a bug there.

TBH, on a 1.0 firmware coming with the release of a completely new product, I had to work pretty darned hard to find a bug, so kudos to the firmware team....

I couldn’t get the virtual toggle option to work on PDL2 and 3, either, it was always momentary.

If you set it as a stand in switch to bypass an effect, it would toggle, regardless of the setting. But when I went to use it as a control switch for a parameter, virtual toggle did nothing.

#2 and #3 work if you have normally-open switches, like a Mosky Dual Switch (when split via an insert cable adapter).

The firmware has a setting to switch to use either normally-open or normally-closed switches, and it works on the Pedal #1 jack, but does not on #2 and #3 currently.

The same switch which doesn't work in #2 and #3 works in #1, and if you have it controlling a momentary switch, you can flip the setting and watch it switch the parameter value.

Seems to be a bug there.

TBH, on a 1.0 firmware coming with the release of a completely new product, I had to work pretty darned hard to find a bug, so kudos to the firmware team....

Somewhere else on this forum, folks were saying that things work correctly when used as a stand-in switch. It was also mentioned that if one follows the instructions in LT's video, you might find that things might work. Granted, LT is using a FM3, but try what he does and see if this might produce good results...

Ok, it works perfectly setting it up as a "Stand-in Switch" as described here:

It just doesn't act as a toggle when I tried to use it as a Control Switch. Strange.

Last edited:
Somewhere else on this forum, folks were saying that things work correctly when used as a stand-in switch. It was also mentioned that if one follows the instructions in LT's video, you might find that things might work. Granted, LT is using a FM3, but try what he does and see if this might produce good results...
Will give that a peek after work.

Still seems like a bug, given the switch polarity setting #1 jack does work....

Will give that a peek after work.

Still seems like a bug, given the switch polarity setting #1 jack does work....

I did confirm some bugs here. They appear to be GUI related.
Thank you, guys,

Matt from FAS Tech Support did indeed confirm 1 reported bug regards the pedal jacks, though did not confirm what that bug was. Matt did say that with an expected firmware update for the FM9 not too far off, the issue would be addressed and corrected.

Thank you, guys,

Matt from FAS Tech Support did indeed confirm 1 reported bug regards the pedal jacks, though did not confirm what that bug was. Matt did say that with an expected firmware update for the FM9 not too far off, the issue would be addressed and corrected.
I suspect that "Matt from FAS" is one and the same "M@" (read "Matt") that you quoted ;)

Could be, unless M@ fesses up to working in FAS' tech customer service department, it's like trying to determine how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
A lot of the folks at Fractal fill the support role.

A lot of the folks at Fractal fill the support role.
Of course, though the person who responded to my FAS tech question was named Matt. I had messaged the FAS contact page of the FM9 PDL jack issue and Matt confirmed the bug exists and will be corrected in the next firmware upgrade. I do not know if our beloved moderator @Admin M@ is one and the same, or if they're just hiding this evening so as to avoid large crowds with torches and masks.

I have noticed that Normally-Closed momentary switches, when plugged into Pedal 2 or Pedal 3, act as if stuck on all the time, and only act 'off' when stepped on. The Switch Polarity adjustment in the I/O -> Pedal page has no effect on their behavior. CLOSED (Momentary Break) and OPEN (Momentary Make) both behave the same way.

Works fine (i.e., on when stepped on, off when not) with Normally-Open switches, as verified by using one of my Mosky switches, which are N-O.

In the FC, a Normally-Closed switch seems to work great, but Pedal Type in the FC Controllers -> Remote menu works backwards - i.e., when set to "Latching" the switch behaves as a momentary, and when set to "Momentary" it toggles.

Not end-of-the-world difficult to rectify - just need to swap switches with the Mosky and my under-board switches, but the software says it is allowing you to reverse polarity, and it doesn't....
So I finally got around to configuring my 3 external switches today.

Initially stumped as none of them did anything. Connecting another external switch in a case worked fine in pedal jack 1, but not consistent in 2 or 3. Wasn't sure if it was NO or NC, but at least it worked (note, I was connecting with a TRS cable for this switch).

After tearing some stuff apart and doing some troubleshooting, it appears I had soldered all 3 switch jacks "backwards" (used the lugs on the wrong side).

After fixing that and re-cabling, 2 of the 3 worked fine. More troubleshooting and found the connection of my (previously untested) George Ls cable was bad. A snip and thumbscrew later all was working as expected.

@Admin M@ - not sure if you discovered this bug, but wanted to report it: changing the Switch Behavior option on either jack 2 or 3 changes the setting for both 2 and 3.

Back
Top Bottom