Bug - screen frequency

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
I'm using 2.03 and the latest axe edit on win10.

I've been playing around with amp parameters I usually don't touch mostly to see how they affect the tone.

When turning screen frequency on the power amp page of axeiii edit, all the way up then all the way down twice in a row the axe-fx makes a loud pop one of the meters pegs out and it locks up, makes a huge pop powering off to reset and is fine after powering back on. I've recreated this on more than one preset.

Yes, I confirm this. I happened to me a few weeks ago and I just never got around to reporting it.
But yes it pops, locks up the unit , and one has to turn it off and reboot the machine to get it unlocked.

Massive issue here. Same thing just now. Likely destroyed an EV EKX 12P main. Afraid to even plug it back in... it likely destroyed my ears too.

The Main is still working surprisingly. After first being dropped another time before on concrete... and now massive pops like this... made in China too... ive never seen anything made on this continent surive anything like this.
Anyways, can this company please provide all the warnings as to what in any parameters of any blocks can attack speakers with massive pops like this? Like I cant even touch the screen frequency now... is this because I had an AES device plugged into the loop?

This POP-LOCK condition as I will call it has been around a long time. Is it an issue? I think it's one of those parameters we shouldn't mess with at all. Like you I must turn every knob to see what happens and have had the same result. Even more fun with In ear monitors in. Would be a good area in AxeEdit to have a red warning label "Warning Extreme setting changes here may cause a pop and lock up the device forcing a reboot". I have no idea what this does and can't really find any useful information on the net. Not a tube amp inner workings guru.

(Owners Manual) "These set the resonant frequency of the virtual power tubes’ screen filter, and the Q of that filter."

Is this something thats even audible, not a clue.

This POP-LOCK condition as I will call it has been around a long time. Is it an issue? I think it's one of those parameters we shouldn't mess with at all. Like you I must turn every knob to see what happens and have had the same result. Even more fun with In ear monitors in. Would be a good area in AxeEdit to have a red warning label "Warning Extreme setting changes here may cause a pop and lock up the device forcing a reboot". I have no idea what this does and can't really find any useful information on the net. Not a tube amp inner workings guru.

(Owners Manual) "These set the resonant frequency of the virtual power tubes’ screen filter, and the Q of that filter."

Is this something thats even audible, not a clue.
I agree aboube red warning headings above parameters that can cause pops but this is not normal.
But even if one doesnt know the real life engineering behind these parameters, How is one supposed to know if 'virtual Resonant frequency changes of the screen filter of powertubes' will cause digital errors resulting in dangerous pops for audio gear?
This matter is yet to be addressed and is now an ethical matter.
You would feel the same after 1500 watt pops.

I agree aboube red warning headings above parameters that can cause pops but this is not normal.
But even if one doesnt know the real life engineering behind these parameters, How is one supposed to know if 'virtual Resonant frequency changes of the screen filter of powertubes' will cause digital errors resulting in dangerous pops for audio gear?
This matter is yet to be addressed and is now an ethical matter.
You would feel the same after 1500 watt pops.
If you were adjusting component values or circuit values on a real amp, would you do it while the amp is producing sound at greater than 85 dB SPL?

If you say yes, then you must have went through a lot of speakers.

If you say no, then why would you not exercise that same caution with a modeler known for its realism?

A good rule of thumb for any gear to protect your monitors and hearing is, if you have not adjusted a parameter extensively before, drop you listening level by half and exercise caution playing and gradually increasing level. Only once you understand the ramifications of what the range of modification produces can you be less vigilant about dropping levels cautiously when auditioning changes in values.

If you do that with any gear, you will be guaranteed to not suffer monitors or hearing damage.

Keep it up and we're going to have fewer and fewer advanced parameters to adjust. The bright switch has been deactivated from the Ideal page for some amps because people were complaining about the pop. Don't be surprised if more parameters get removed due to others lack of discretion. That would be a shame for those of us who enjoy the deep diving and refining our tone.

I'm all for tweaking parameters and finding out what they do and how they interact with each other but there's a point where common sense should step in when it comes to volume.

If you were adjusting component values or circuit values on a real amp, would you do it while the amp is producing sound at greater than 85 dB SPL?

If you say no, then why would you not exercise that same caution with a modeler known for its realism?

A good rule of thumb for any gear to protect your monitors and hearing is, if you have not adjusted a parameter extensively before, drop you listening level by half and exercise caution playing and gradually increasing level. Only once you understand the ramifications of what the range of modification produces can you be less vigilant about dropping levels cautiously when auditioning changes in values.

If you do that with any gear, you will be guaranteed to not suffer monitors or hearing damage.
So you're saying you turn volume down by half when you anything on your Axe? Of so, you're pretty much the only person ever I bet. Is down by half sufficient?

So you're saying you turn volume down by half when you anything on your Axe? Of so, you're pretty much the only person ever I bet. Is down by half sufficient?

I took his post to mean, that if one doesn't know what they're doing, be prepared for some unexpected responses.

The levels on the axe fx 3 were very low while adjusting this parameter. But came out at max during the pop.
The live main was just set to its unity.

I read the function of the paramter. If its available to adjust for the layman then there should be warning on it.

But ive adjusted it before on other models. So it could be an omission on the rectifier.

Also even more importantly if adjusting parameters by accident or by experiment happens, there needs to be some protective limiter within the fractal unit to prevent this fro happening.

Last edited:
Yep, I have learned with other synths and amp sims, if you are going to spin parameter values that you are not familiar, it's downright foolhardy to do that at 85 dB SPL or greater.

If you decide to do such experimentation at such a monitoring level with unfamiliar parameters where you don't know what havoc they may wreak, then you reap what you sow.

Back
Top Bottom