Bug or possible defect in Ultra?

believer

I have been trying to update from 9.0 to the new 9.2. I am using Macbook Pro 10.5.8, M-Audio midisport 2x2 special anniversary, SysEx Librarian, and also for checking connections and info between units Midi Monitor. I am doing exactly what the read me files say to do to update on the Ultra but it's not wanting to receive the file. My Ultra does show a Midi-in light on the front panel flashing and all the buttons I push still show a Midi-in, but as soon as I push the Utility button to go to the update page, the light goes off. I have tried several times to see if the Ultra was excepting the files and it didn't. All it shows the whole time is "Awaiting File". The Sysex shows to be sending the file but the Ultra not is receiving it for some reason. There is a progress bar on the Sysex but never on the Ultra like the read me files say to look for. I have sent the entire file and waited up to fifteen minutes to see if it took but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

believer said:
I have been trying to update from 9.0 to the new 9.2. I am using Macbook Pro 10.5.8, M-Audio midisport 2x2 special anniversary, SysEx Librarian, and also for checking connections and info between units Midi Monitor. I am doing exactly what the read me files say to do to update on the Ultra but it's not wanting to receive the file. My Ultra does show a Midi-in light on the front panel flashing and all the buttons I push still show a Midi-in, but as soon as I push the Utility button to go to the update page, the light goes off. I have tried several times to see if the Ultra was excepting the files and it didn't. All it shows the whole time is "Awaiting File". The Sysex shows to be sending the file but the Ultra not is receiving it for some reason. There is a progress bar on the Sysex but never on the Ultra like the read me files say to look for. I have sent the entire file and waited up to fifteen minutes to see if it took but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

you have to go to the utility page FIRST, set it to where it is awaiting file then send it the sysex file. If you send it first then go to the utility page it will not work.

I have previously done that! The Sysex file is highlighted and then I go to utility to update firmware and click enter, then I go to Sysex and push play and the Ultra still sits there and says (Awaiting file). This is even after about ten to fifteen minutes. Still nothing. Any other suggestions I might try?

believer said:
I have previously done that! The Sysex file is highlighted and then I go to utility to update firmware and click enter, then I go to Sysex and push play and the Ultra still sits there and says (Awaiting file). This is even after about ten to fifteen minutes. Still nothing. Any other suggestions I might try?

If it is stuck on "Awaiting File" then it doesn't think it is receiving the sysex file.

Is the sysex id on the axe-fx set to 125 (I/O -MIDI menu on the axe-fx)

Are you using the Ultra (not standard) firmware?

Yes, I have checked and rechecked all in/outs and it is set to 125 and yes I am using the Ultra download version! I am truly dumbfounded why this is happening. If you can think of anything else I might try, I would greatly appreciate it. I really,really wished they would have dug down a little bit more and put a USB or Firewire port on these units cause it would be so much easier to communicate with updates and other software!

believer said:
Yes, I have checked and rechecked all in/outs and it is set to 125 and yes I am using the Ultra download version! I am truly dumbfounded why this is happening. If you can think of anything else I might try, I would greatly appreciate it. I really,really wished they would have dug down a little bit more and put a USB or Firewire port on these units cause it would be so much easier to communicate with updates and other software!

USB isn't a cure all. I just updated my pod x3, after the update it will no longer connect thru USB. Have you tried to use the editor to do the update? Have you tried different cables?

believer said:
[...] My Ultra does show a Midi-in light on the front panel flashing and all the buttons I push still show a Midi-in, but as soon as I push the Utility button to go to the update page, the light goes off. [...]
This makes me suspect you may have accidentally wired your MIDI in a loop. The Axe-Fx (in later firmware) by default sends out MIDI data (tempo and tuner), but stops sending this data when you go to the Utility page. Is the "MIDI-In light on the front panel" on the Axe-Fx? (or the software? or the MIDI interface?) And if so, is it flashing before anything is sent?

If you've accidentally wired a loop, it may "clog" the "tubes" until you restart (either your software, or your computer), so subsequent attempts might be rendered useless until then.

I've seen this behavior as well... I "think" it was occurring as race condition between how quickly I pressed "send" on the PC side after I pressed "receive" on the AxeFx side. When I did those with a few secs between I saw this, when I did both very quickly back-to-back I did not.

Maybe the problem is in Sysex librarian. Make sure file is in the right place, usually Documents>Sysex librarian>. In the program at the top it might say "Act as a source for other programs", change that to "plug 1" or whatever. I think that the "play" button turns into something else, "send" maybe. The Axe should be in waiting mode, hit send and cross fingers.
Worked for me, anyway.

banjoze said:
I've seen this behavior as well... I "think" it was occurring as race condition between how quickly I pressed "send" on the PC side after I pressed "receive" on the AxeFx side. When I did those with a few secs between I saw this, when I did both very quickly back-to-back I did not.

The very first firmware update I did from 3.16 to an early 4.x I waited a bit between hitting "enter" on the Ultra to accept the firmware update and actually sending it from MIDI-OX. The second time I closed the "gap" between "enter" and "send" and have never had a problem since... some 50 odd firmware updates later! :D

I found the problem, it was with my Midisport 2x2. I needed to update the drivers and all is fine now. The upload finally took!

Back
Top Bottom