Bug? Losing global settings during boot

Hier

Hi all.

A couple of months ago my AxeFx 3 suddenly lost all its global settings. Last night, the same thing happened again. Fortunately, it was 'only' during rehearsals but nevertheless it is something that should not happen.

On this forum, I found some suggestions on the internal battery, and then I ran into a thread suggesting it could be related to a foot controller sending MIDI data.

As I have a foot controller sending MIDI CC's connected to my AxeFX3, I started some experiments.

My conclusion is: if there is some continuos MIDI data stream happening during the first part of the boot process, the AxeFX3 resets all global settings to its default values.

Here is how to reproduce the issue:
  • Connect a MIDI foot controller to the AxeFX
  • Select a preset, say 006 - Top Boost
  • In the global setttings, change input 2 from stereo to left only
  • Turn off the AxeFX
  • Wait 10 secs
  • Turn on the AxeFX
  • The last selected preset has loaded: 006-Top Boost
  • Check the global settings and verify that input 2 is still set to left only. This is how it should work
  • Turn off the AxeFX
  • Wait 10 secs
  • Turn on the AxeFX, and while the AxeFX is booting, rock your MIDI continuous controller pedal until the logo appears. Now wait for the AxeFX to complete the boot process.
  • Suddenly, preset 000 has loaded. And when verifying input 2, is has been reset to Stereo. Also, the MIDI CC mappings and the MIDI Scene CC have been reset.

I tested it with firmware 22.00 and 23.03, both with the same result.

Hi all.

A couple of months ago my AxeFx 3 suddenly lost all its global settings. Last night, the same thing happened again. Fortunately, it was 'only' during rehearsals but nevertheless it is something that should not happen.

On this forum, I found some suggestions on the internal battery, and then I ran into a thread suggesting it could be related to a foot controller sending MIDI data.

As I have a foot controller sending MIDI CC's connected to my AxeFX3, I started some experiments.

My conclusion is: if there is some continuos MIDI data stream happening during the first part of the boot process, the AxeFX3 resets all global settings to its default values.

Here is how to reproduce the issue:
  • Connect a MIDI foot controller to the AxeFX
  • Select a preset, say 006 - Top Boost
  • In the global setttings, change input 2 from stereo to left only
  • Turn off the AxeFX
  • Wait 10 secs
  • Turn on the AxeFX
  • The last selected preset has loaded: 006-Top Boost
  • Check the global settings and verify that input 2 is still set to left only. This is how it should work
  • Turn off the AxeFX
  • Wait 10 secs
  • Turn on the AxeFX, and while the AxeFX is booting, rock your MIDI continuous controller pedal until the logo appears. Now wait for the AxeFX to complete the boot process.
  • Suddenly, preset 000 has loaded. And when verifying input 2, is has been reset to Stereo. Also, the MIDI CC mappings and the MIDI Scene CC have been reset.

I tested it with firmware 22.00 and 23.03, both with the same result.
What is your MIDI pedal assigned to?

The controller is on MIDI channel 1, CC #6, External Control 6. I have connected it to the WAH block. But I don't think the assigment is relevant as I started with the default global settings during the testing, so without any External Control CC assignments.

What kind of MIDI controller? I can't replicate this using a Roland controller nor with MIDI-OX.

Maybe I should add that I am moving the pedal back and forth continuously, so creating a lot of MIDI data. I could also replicate the problem by connecting a MIDI keyboard with a modulation wheel. I checked my controller with a MIDI monitor, in some spots it is generating a lot of data, probably due to some scratchy pot. The controller is a custom built controller, I have been using it for years with the AxeFX I & II without any issue.

Maybe I should add that I am moving the pedal back and forth continuously, so creating a lot of MIDI data. I could also replicate the problem by connecting a MIDI keyboard with a modulation wheel. I checked my controller with a MIDI monitor, in some spots it is generating a lot of data, probably due to some scratchy pot. The controller is a custom built controller, I have been using it for years with the AxeFX I & II without any issue.
I did that. I moved the pedal back and forth constantly during boot.

Just tested with an old Digitech Control 8 that I had lying around, same results. I will try to record a MIDI file so you can play it with MIDI-OX

Ok, so I have recorded some controller movements into in MIDI file, see the attachment. When I play this file with the MIDI-OX midi player during the AxeFX boot, it reproduces the issue.

Attachments

• AxeFx-MIDI-Bug.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 3
Unable to reproduce. I played that file into the Axe-Fx using MIDI-OX and none of my system settings were altered.

I think you're battery needs to be replaced.

Is it possibly related to what the CC is assigned to?

@Hier - how are you sending the MIDI-OX data? Over USB or using an adapter to the DIN? Or some other method?

Which Axe Fx III version do you have (may not be relevant).

I do recall seeing this issue posted at least a couple other times in the past.

Also, could you share your system settings?

Is it possibly related to what the CC is assigned to?

@Hier - how are you sending the MIDI-OX data? Over USB or using an adapter to the DIN? Or some other method?

Which Axe Fx III version do you have (may not be relevant).

I do recall seeing this issue posted at least a couple other times in the past.

Also, could you share your system settings?
I have tested many times, also with no CC assignments but always with the same result. I have only tested it with the DIN connection as my controller is normally attached to that port. My Axe Fx 3 is a MK1.

I know more people are having the same kind of problem, see this thread

Ok, so yesterday it happened again...I lost all my global settings! o_O I thought changing the battery had solved the problem but I cannot believe I need to replace it after only four months??

So, I started testing again with MIDI-OX and the midi file from this thread, and immediately reproduced the problem. Test procedure:
  • AxeFx 3 mk1, FW 23.05
  • PC with MIDI-OX (7.0.2) connected to some cheap USB MIDI interface
  • 5-pin MIDI out from the interface is connected to the MIDI-In port on the back of the AxeFX
  • In MIDI-OX, open the MIDIBar player and open the midi file from this thread
  • Right after switching the AxeFX on, start playing the midi file
  • When booting is complete, preset 000 is selected and all global settings have been reset

Is there anyone willing to test (after backup!) with a similar setup?

Ok, so yesterday it happened again...I lost all my global settings! o_O I thought changing the battery had solved the problem but I cannot believe I need to replace it after only four months??

So, I started testing again with MIDI-OX and the midi file from this thread, and immediately reproduced the problem. Test procedure:
  • AxeFx 3 mk1, FW 23.05
  • 5-pin MIDI out from the interface is connected to the MIDI-In port on the back of the AxeFX
  • When booting is complete, preset 000 is selected and all global settings have been reset

I'll try to test this weekend if I remember.

• AxeFx 3 mk1, FW 23.05

1. Why would you do this? Simply don't play any MIDI until the Axe-Fx completes booting.
2. Those "cheap USB MIDI interfaces" are notorious for corrupting MIDI data if you stream large files to them.

Right after switching the AxeFX on, start playing the midi file
I had a settings loss issue some time ago and ultimately traced it back to some incorrect midi I was sending as part of my foot switching system. So it's possible you are creatong the issue with whatever midi you are sending - specially if, as mentioned above, you are sending midi during bootup.

Edit: I recall vaguely (don't really want to test it due to it's nasty effect) that I was incorrectly trying to send a PC=0 to Ax3 but it was inconsistent, sometimes losing settings, sometimes not, maybe depending on the current operating state of Axfx - never figured it out totally - I'm just more careful now about sending correct midi (and I don't start up my switching system until after Ax3 is fully booted) - no problems since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom